What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

With a 48-hour beard, I get a far better shave with my '62 Gillette Slim if I set it to 5, then 4, then 3 than if I do 5-3-1, as I have been doing. The 1 setting is not enough to finish properly the XTG pass or the cleanup. I've been getting weird blade feel using setting 1. Now I know why.

I've also learned that PAA Atmotic soap does not lather as easily as Tabac does, at least not with a boar brush. Several times I had to go back to the tub and whip up more soap to get enough to lather thickly on my face. Now that I've tried tallow soaps like Tabac and Stirling, I'm finding the Atmotic (which I still love the scent of) is trickier to lather.

I learned that Wickham Soap Co 1912 Russian Leather has an intoxicating scent! First use of it for me today and I am in love. The performance was great just like all the Wickham 1912 soaps but this scent is great.

Also a first use for me today was La Toja AS splash, feels great on the face and a nice fleeting scent. SWMBO liked it to so it is definitely a keeper.

Ah, don't put your shaving brush in your drink???
1600981068645.png

Attachments

• 1600980927729.png
    1600980927729.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I got a little overzealous on one part of my lower lip this morning and drew a tiny speck of blood. I need to stop trying for BBS there. Even stretching the skin of the lip does not flatten it out completely, and trying for BBS on such a curved surface is asking for trouble.

Big brushes are overrated
Large blade gaps are overrated
Stainless steel is overrated
Some soaps are sensitive to the type of brush used
Listen to other experienced wet-shavers, they know what the heck they're talking about

Big brushes are overrated
Large blade gaps are overrated
Stainless steel is overrated
Some soaps are sensitive to the type of brush used
Listen to other experienced wet-shavers, they know what the heck they're talking about
I won't use brushes larger than 22mm. I see people with 26, 28 and 30mm knots and can't help but wonder if compensation is taking place.

But it's more likely just a YMMV thing

Start with dryer brush, and you will not make such a mess out of your sink. Add water as you make lather on your face.
And I learned that building lather is even more relaxing as shave itself.

I won't use brushes larger than 22mm. I see people with 26, 28 and 30mm knots and can't help but wonder if compensation is taking place.

But it's more likely just a YMMV thing
To each their own but I am the same.

I bought a 30mm Yaqi when I started wet shaving and it looks like something clowns would jump out of a small car waving. It is ridiculously large. Good if you want to kill a tub of soap in a few shaves, I guess.

I like most 18-24mm brushes and 20-22mm is my sweet spot.

Top Bottom