What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Blade choice does matter. Timeless Bronze .38 hasn't been my favourite. Feather blades are my go to. Results with that razor = meh. Put a Gillette Platinum in it this morning... Purrrrrrrrr. BBS super tasty extraordinaire.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Staying with a routine and knowing your shaving products will reward a person with stellar results and to know when to stop shaving so not to over shave a area of your beard, the learning curve!

BBS is variable and not necessary. Meaning, I can get BBS relatively easily on my cheeks and some parts of my neck. Other areas, under my chin say, are way harder and near impossible without some significant irritation. So I quit chasing that last bit of stubble on those problem areas, settle for good enough and enjoy perfection on those areas I can. And let's face it, no one sees or feels those tricky areas anyway.

I can still get a BBS shave from my mildest blade (IP Red), even after not using one since last year. I was about to order more blades, but since Reds make up 400 of my 700 blade stash, I can put that money towards more soaps.

I learned that is necessary wait for your beard grows before using an open comb. I tried my new Fatip Grande as soon as it arrived in my 1 day beard. It is definitely not a good idea.

Well, my last shave was just a touch up, but in my last full shave I learned that I need to figure out how to create a lather from William's mug soap. I tried but it was quite feeble and ineffective.

I resorted back to my Wilkinson Sword soap, but I find I'm not always enjoying the scent of that, so I wanted to try the William's for a change.

Will have to try again!

My first brush I bought was a synthetic brush I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for like 10 bucks. Since then I've bought a pair of Omega Boars, and I love them.

Used my synthetic for the first time since moving to Omega brushes and it turns out that my synthetic brush is exceptional.

My first brush I bought was a synthetic brush I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for like 10 bucks. Since then I've bought a pair of Omega Boars, and I love them.

Used my synthetic for the first time since moving to Omega brushes and it turns out that my synthetic brush is exceptional.
I'e discovered the same. I started with an EJ badger, bought a synthetic tuxedo from AP ShaveCo and was disappointed in it, bought and used a Semogue boar. Now that I've come back to the synthetic, I find it excellent.

Know what blade is currently loaded.

I just come off shaving with a Shark SS but forgot I loaded a BiC in there which demands a little more respect....almost got a weeper.

Mixing some baking soda with my basin water results in a slicker skin surface. Maybe the great shave this morning came from the combo of everything -- Fatip slant razor and Personna blade, Erasmic soap, a 48-hour beard -- but it's funny how the shave improved dramatically when I added the sodium bicarbonate to my hard tap water.

I learned from my last shave that it is not a good idea to straight razor shave when you are in a hurry and mentally irritated from the days events.
My neck and chin paid the price.

Top Bottom