What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The density and excellent flow through of a well worn Simpsons Eagle in pure badger more than compensates for any scritch or prickle characteristic of the pure grade. I've learned that a well constructed hand made pure knot will have plenty of scrub and some scritch but it won't have all that much pokey prickle.

That a Merkur Progress loaded with a Personna Red blade is remarkably efficient and comfortable even on its mildest setting. And even on a 24-hour beard.

Used my postwar fat-handled Tech with a Feather blade for my afternoon shave, 36-hour beard. A good shave all around, near BBS and with no irritation or nicks. But --

-- I had to do three passes plus cleanup on the throat to get that way, and the more passes the higher the chance of trouble. Once again I see that a 36-hour beard does not give the kind of close shave I prefer. Or maybe the Feather blade has outlived its usefulness (though it did not seem to tug or drag).

Merkur Progress this morning and Palmolive Classic cream in the green tube. It made a great lather. I noticed, though, that after my usual 3-minute wait to let my cream or soap soften my beard, my initial pass seemed to drag a little. Not the blade, but the smooth head surface, as if the cream were a little dry. I didn't notice that on subsequent passes.

Perhaps after my 3-minute pause, I should either rinse off and re-apply, or just use my fingers to mix a little water into the lather with creams (and maybe certain soaps).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Merkur Progress this morning and Palmolive Classic cream in the green tube. It made a great lather. I noticed, though, that after my usual 3-minute wait to let my cream or soap soften my beard, my initial pass seemed to drag a little. Not the blade, but the smooth head surface, as if the cream were a little dry. I didn't notice that on subsequent passes.

Perhaps after my 3-minute pause, I should either rinse off and re-apply, or just use my fingers to mix a little water into the lather with creams (and maybe certain soaps).

I find that if a lather has started to dry, simply keeping the razor head wet (rinsing more often) is often enough to restore the lost slickness.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You can always use less pressure then you think. And then you can use some less pressure.

Have learned I should, but learning how leads to confused simian actions.

Stealing your discovery for my Journal in the vain hope it helps me not keep scraping my stupid skin all raw.

Last edited:
I find that if a lather has started to dry, simply keeping the razor head wet (rinsing more often) is often enough to restore the lost slickness.
Good point, though I was rinsing the razor after each stroke or two. The fact that the dragging sensation vanished after I finished the first pass, rinsed, and re-applied the cream, then immediately began on pass 2, tells me that the cream had gotten a little dry.

I got the perfect lather last night! This whole time, I'm trying to fix it by adding more water. I was so worried about hydrating the lather I've been drowning it. Last night I started off really wringing out the badger brush and really shook out the bowl which left me with half the water to start. It exploded in slick thick peaks smelling strongly of Clubman shaving soap.

Last two shaves went without pre-shave oil. I came to the conclusion, pre-shave products are about providing a more comfortable shave, but not a closer shave.

Top Bottom