What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Even Silver Stars, noted by some for their longevity, can go horribly dull after just four shaves. (Also, bad language doesn't make dull blades any sharper.)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Some times re-visiting a old razor that has not been used for a while can bring back the better aspects of the shave as you perfected your pre-shave routine and hand technique.

Reactions: bjm

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave was a learning experience...

6-8-20.Kit.480.JPG

This brush, a Maggard 70/30 knot, continues to impress me. It feels great.

This razor, the Fatip Open Comb Slant, is the best DE razor. Every shave is great. It grows on me every day.

This soap is great, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

By removing a lower dental partial this morning, I shaved between the lip and chin with no nicks or weepers. Apparently, the partial distorts the curviture of my lower chin enough to effect shaving that area. But, not anymore.

That meissner strong and scottish is just as much a big Smokey stinker as razormaster toivo (pine tar) and should be used on non working days and preferably bbq days.
But they shave smooth....

That not blooming my soap (in this case TFS Sera) and squeezing out my wet brush (in this case a boar) too much prevents a good lather. This morning I had to keep adding water to the brush and then a few drops into the soap to get some good lather.

That my '62 Gillette Slim at 3 is a bit too much for my lower lip, even going carefully. Next time I use it I should go with 3 on cheeks and throat, and 2 on the lip.

That Barbasol Original smells like baby powder. Not Clubman powder, which I use to finish my shaves, but plain old Johnson's.

That after a whole 3 head shaves with a straight razor I have not mastered it, I cannot afford to not pay attention and a cut on the side of the head will bleed a lot

Some blades are SO COMFORTABLE!! Today: shave #6 with this Personna (Israeli) red all rated 9-10/10!! This is not the sharpest blade in my den, but it is so smooth and comfortable that it is a pleasure! :a29:

Try blades that don't get a lot of attention - they might be just what you need for your razor and technique. I'm looking at you Shark Super Chrome.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD - Sat June 13th 2020

Blade: Kai SS (1) -I wanted a little more blade feel to my shave and it delivered that very well, I did read some reviews and the blade delivered a excellent shave today as other have mentioned on different threads. Felt smooth and sharp and gets better after a few shaves the fellows who have used them claim(some did not care for it). No regrets yet! Kai SS is .009 thousands of inch wider or .0045 thousands per side than a standard blade and that is significant extra blade exposure IMO.
So if you have a mild DE razor & you want it a little more aggression & efficiency this blade might help.

Results CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR GC .84 with a Kai blade.

SOTD, Sat June 13th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom