What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

While afraid to use Feathers for years and then ultimately giving them a chance, I have found the following:
  • When new they are my favorite blade.
  • They dull more quickly then any of my other top tier blades.
  • I typically discard my top blades after 4 shaves because I do not want to experience uncomfortable blades in order to save pennies a year, the Feathers get uncomfortable to me after 3 shaves.
  • Even though less comfortable, the 4th shave was still a close dfs to bbs shave.

Slow down. Today I did 2 WTG passes at my normal pace, mostly riding the gap. I finished off with some minor clean up and, by paying close attention, used a perfectly neutral angle - no cap, no guard, just pure blade - I made sure to use very slow, very deliberate strokes. I was worried that I might have over-shaved. No worries. Very slight irritation below lower lip, completely gone in half an hour and a knats off DFS.:001_smile

Wes

I learned two things:

1) Gillette Silver Blues are comfortable for me, but not efficient enough for me in a Merkur 34C
2) I love Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite after shave. Even now almost an hour later I still feel a slight cooling. The weird part I am not loving is feeling the cooling effect in the webbing area of my fingers. Weird.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just because something isn't as good as our favourites, doesn't mean it's no good at all. With a little adjustment, a great shave can still be had. Our shaves are more than the sum of the products we use.

I've been trying blades with the same 1959 Fatboy and Arko soap for a week. With this week's shaves I've learned that:
1 Derby is smooth, and sharper than I expected it to be. I think they changed something.
2 Shark is terrible (for my face)
3 My face still hurt from the Sharks
4 Dorco Prime is pretty good. I wouldn't buy more, but it's worth trying.
5 Wilkinson Sword Germany is still probably my favorite blades.
6 Astra is a smooth blade, but only about medium sharpness. Could have used another XTG pass
7 Feather is still the sharpest. But it's not smooth. At all. It feels smooth but it looks like a crime scene.

Last edited:
The Maggard Razors V3M head is too inefficient/mild for me personally. It was super comfortable though. I loved the MR16 handle I got from them though. Nice weight to the handle.

I learned that when I am in "the zone" I should trust my muscle memory more instead of my reflection in the mirror. When it comes to razor angles. Got too focused on that and ended up with red areas on my neck.

Last edited:
I learned that I cannot do a full 3 pass plus touch up shave when only skipping one day of shaving. I need a couple of days off between shaves to do that. I'm sitting here after my shave and my face is burning from the irritation. I also nicked myself in three places. That was my fault. Don't get me wrong. It's a nice close BBS shave. But it wasn't comfortable. And I'm all about comfort. I need to learn how to do a decent two pass shave.

Top Bottom