What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

That I’m not ready for an SE yet.

This thing has cut me every single time I’ve used it. It goes back in the cabinet until I have more experience.

I learned that I do not have to spend 1 or 2 minutes loading my brush. Even with Williams Mug soap, I can load my brush in less than thirty seconds and make enough lather for a 3-pass shave.

That I love using Cella soap more and more. It’s simply the best.

I shunned it at first, because I disliked tallow; I got over it, with time, and now Cella is my bread-and-butter soap.

It performs just a little behind Stirling Soaps, but at less than half the price, and I can get it from my friendly local shops.

Chill out, slow down. DFS is good enough most days, maybe try to hit BBS once a week or so...less irritation that way.

Think I'm going to stick with one razor/soap combo for the rest of the month.

"Pure by Gillette" shaving cream is pretty good stuff.
A more than adequate substitute for Nivea cream, which seems to be disappearing off all the shelves.
Nicer scent too.

On the 2 year anniversary of my wife’s death, I spent a great deal of time reflecting on life and all of its meaning, but will restrict this to the shaving aspect. I had previously discussed how the shaving ritual was so helpful in giving me some time to relax during her illness and the cathartic effect after her death. I am in a much better place today.

My first observation and thought is about the people who hide their purchases from their wives. There was a thread sometime back where the lying and deception caused a marriage to end. None of us can judge anyone else’s marriage, but after almost 37 years with a wonderful woman, there is no razor, brush or soap that could ever have been worth shortening my marriage. My take is buy what you want and can afford, but don’t lie about it.

In the endless search for shaving perfection, unobtanium (Wolfman WR2 for me) may be just that, but there are other good choices. For me my Timeless Titanium 0.68 is as good as it gets. Fantastic shave today with a new GSB blade. This follows four daily shaves with my E4 Fatboy which yielded good shaves but not as good as the Timeless. Sometimes the fun of the variety is worth the marginal step down. That is why my C4 birth quarter Superspeed, Ball end Old Type, Goodwill #164, various Techs and others will always have a place, but the Timeless is the best for me.

What I learned is to appreciate what you have and be grateful for it.

Well said. Sorry about your loss.

It's hard to hide my purchases as we have a doorbell cam that alerts both of us when rung. That being said I don't try to hide my new hobby. I can afford it and enjoy the search for bargains.
I too find it very relaxing to complete the process of wet shaving, particularly before work. I never previously really enjoyed shaving and had a beard for years because of it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us .
Steve

On the 2 year anniversary of my wife’s death, I spent a great deal of time reflecting on life and all of its meaning, but will restrict this to the shaving aspect. I had previously discussed how the shaving ritual was so helpful in giving me some time to relax during her illness and the cathartic effect after her death. I am in a much better place today.

My first observation and thought is about the people who hide their purchases from their wives. There was a thread sometime back where the lying and deception caused a marriage to end. None of us can judge anyone else’s marriage, but after almost 37 years with a wonderful woman, there is no razor, brush or soap that could ever have been worth shortening my marriage. My take is buy what you want and can afford, but don’t lie about it.

In the endless search for shaving perfection, unobtanium (Wolfman WR2 for me) may be just that, but there are other good choices. For me my Timeless Titanium 0.68 is as good as it gets. Fantastic shave today with a new GSB blade. This follows four daily shaves with my E4 Fatboy which yielded good shaves but not as good as the Timeless. Sometimes the fun of the variety is worth the marginal step down. That is why my C4 birth quarter Superspeed, Ball end Old Type, Goodwill #164, various Techs and others will always have a place, but the Timeless is the best for me.

What I learned is to appreciate what you have and be grateful for it.
sm29, I'm so sorry for your loss. Loosing a spouse or a child is unexplainable. I joke on here about hiding purchases but my wife knows because I do tell her. I've been a Paramedic since 1983 on the street and in a Pediatric ED and still am. I cannot ever fathom retirement from a job I love!. I still live my what my father always said... "In the end, family is all you have, cherish it." I have a Timeless Titanium .95 and a Timeless Bronze .38 smooth. Can't ask for more.

Who shaves ambidextrous? Using ones right-hand (being mostly right handed) to shave the left side of the face seems inefficient and just a little awkward. Just like I try to play tennis with both hands and it is a great better way to play tennis - I am learning to use both of my hands to shave with..left with left and right with right. - sometimes left with right side and right with the left side. Wonder if anyone else does this? A graceful and artisan-like way to shave.

Who shaves ambidextrous? Using ones right-hand (being mostly right handed) to shave the left side of the face seems inefficient and just a little awkward. Just like I try to play tennis with both hands and it is a great better way to play tennis - I am learning to use both of my hands to shave with..left with left and right with right. - sometimes left with right side and right with the left side. Wonder if anyone else does this? A graceful and artisan-like way to shave.

Left side of face, left hand. Right side of face, right hand. Who does it any other way?

OP question; there are better soaps in the world than what you’ve experienced this far.

M&M wins at this.

Left side of face, left hand. Right side of face, right hand. Who does it any other way?

OP question; there are better soaps in the world than what you’ve experienced this far.

M&M wins at this.
Right with left and left with right seems to have a better angle of one's elbow and wrist and I am liking that even more than left with left and right with right....Glad to hear others do this, as almost all shaving videos do NOT shave ambidextrous.

Top Bottom