What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Using a good face scrub on neck/face followed by a pre-shave oil can really condition the skin prior to shaving. Unfortunately we all don’t have the time for “spa mornings” but I do treat myself to a fantastic shave on Mondays using the above regimen. And just like @MisterGrain said, “it’s not worth rushing the shaving process with faster/harder strokes.” I have learned this the hard, bloody way, pun certainly intended. Washing/scrubbing my face in the shower first and letting the pre-shave oil work it’s magic whilst I soap up (leaving shaving last) has proven I can have that BBS face every single shave.

Tonight I put a new Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow) blade in my Edward Jagger DE 89 and wow, that blade cut through those whiskers so swiftly, just using the weight of the razor. Every area of my face suffered far less scraping that it does when I use a less sharp blade. I got a real close shave with minimal irritation. Now I'm going to have to try that blade in all my other razors. It would sure simplify things if it turned out to be the best match for every one.

Using a good face scrub on neck/face followed by a pre-shave oil can really condition the skin prior to shaving. Unfortunately we all don’t have the time for “spa mornings” but I do treat myself to a fantastic shave on Mondays using the above regimen. And just like @MisterGrain said, “it’s not worth rushing the shaving process with faster/harder strokes.” I have learned this the hard, bloody way, pun certainly intended. Washing/scrubbing my face in the shower first and letting the pre-shave oil work it’s magic whilst I soap up (leaving shaving last) has proven I can have that BBS face every single shave.

Ah, a British guy (the "whilst" gave you away). :302:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Stick Schick with a 20 year warranty from a G Schick  (2).jpg
For a change up I tried a Stick Schick L series and of course it was a great shave, Schick was leader in compact razors and even today a multi blade cartridge would have a hard time shaving as good. Schick with a twin blade was the first multi blade and one of the best for daily shaving(long growth?).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My blade doesn't seem sharp by the thumb pad test, but it is very sharp.

4-9-19.Kukri.J&C.CopperBoar.640.JPG

It's off a coticule + pasted strops + my new Zulu Grey. I think it's the best edge I've achieved or used.

Perhaps because of the edge being very sharp and mellow the shave was a tad faster less time consuming. I am not a fast shaver.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My blade doesn't seem sharp by the thumb pad test, but it is very sharp.

View attachment 970683

It's off a coticule + pasted strops + my new Zulu Grey. I think it's the best edge I've achieved or used.

Perhaps because of the edge being very sharp and mellow the shave was a tad faster less time consuming. I am not a fast shaver.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Nice razor Jim, I think you are getting good at straight razor shaving on that different learning curve of traditional shaving.

Learning more about the QShave Futur clone.
  1. The smooth satin finish on the handle is very slippery when your fingers are dry. Paradoxically, it becomes very grippy with wet fingers.
  2. That same satin finish on the head means that once the slickness from the lather is gone, the cap gains "traction" on your skin, so you have to reapply lather more often. I have not noticed that with shiny chrome, stainless, brass, or nickel finishes.
More on the QShave Futur clone:
Calling it a "safety razor" may be a bit of a stretch.
In the middle of my third shave with it I decided to bump it up from setting 3 to 4. As I was turning it my thumb slipped off the end of the cap and slid across the edge, giving me a 1/2" long cut. I had to keep my left hand elevated for most of the rest of the shave and cleanup.
[snip]
See the red silicone pad laying at the bottom of the sink? I originally had been putting it there to protect the porcelain surface of the sink from scratches, but now I also use it to protect my fingers when changing settings or when installing/removing a blade on the QShave.

Last edited:
Karve Razor is a beautifully made precision tool, it gives me a close irritation free shave with the E plate, for some reason I cannot identify I don't enjoy using it as much as my other aggressive razors. I like it better with the C plate. Maybe I just haven't found the best blade for the E? Will keep looking for that best matchup because I really like this razor.

- That my tin tub of PdP 63 is a little too small to lather in and since I am able to remove the puck from the tin I decided to try and use it as a shave stick and it worked great and will use it like that again. What I did was I took the soap out of the tin added a couple TBSP of water to the bottom of the tin after I took the puck out. I stood the soap on end in the water so it would soften and it worked like a champ.

To be more vigilant about knowing the location of my 2 year old when I'm straight shaving my neck. I was unaware that with a full running start that he could make it all the way to smashing into my thigh undetected.

- That there are some soaps that I like scent of but just don't perform as I like and should stop using them.

- That having a bottle of glycerin sitting on the sink thinking that it might help a poor performing soap(see above) doesn't always work. It did make for a nice creamy lather though, just wish it worked better.

- That there are some soaps that I like scent of but just don't perform as I like and should stop using them.

- That having a bottle of glycerin sitting on the sink thinking that it might help a poor performing soap(see above) doesn't always work. It did make for a nice creamy lather though, just wish it worked better.
That is true my friend.

Top Bottom