What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that as much as I want to like the Muhle R41, it is not for me. I’ll stick to my Merkur 34C and the occasional straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That cleaning a straight is more dangerous than shaving with one because I don't pay as much attention as when I'm shaving. Ouch! Well, at least I know it's sharp...

from my last shave, I learned that when there is someone cleaning snow off the house next door they can see me if they look up to the window. Also, the LC is pretty good..........:shaving:

My love of menthol is completely without logic. It can even burn a little bit, but as they say in the south, "It hurts good." I even like Captain's Choice "Cat O' Nine Tails," which hurts even gooder. I feel the same about aftershaves containing alcohol. The tingle is big and the burn is small. Fair trade.

The Feather AS-D2 gives its best shaves when you ride the cap. Cuts through whiskers like a hot knife through butter, with no irritation...

I think whether a newbie or an experienced shaver, you should always learn something from every shave, no matter what it is.

So, I guess i'll start.

Today I learned not to get greedy looking for a BBS shave, and that a 2 pass with clean ups is enough for a DFS.
That I really like Gillette SB blades!

Don't use Merkur blades!
Got a full pack of 10 plus a single when buying a 34g.
First time a used this blade whas yesterday in my #66 aristocrat. What an awful shave gave me.

Even with nice pre shave creme you are not invincible. Got a small weeper right under my lower lip from doing something stupid with my 1912. Easily avoided if I had been keeping my attention focused.

When I was a greenhorn shaver, I got unsatisfying results with Derby Extra blades and blamed the blades. But yesterday I paired one with a razor of sufficient aggressiveness and got a close shave with minimal irritation. I now see why manufacturers commonly put a tuck of them in the box with their razor.

+1! Any tugging and it is time to toss IMHO!!

Absolutely. My first pass is ATG and if it tugs, that's the end.

What I'm learning for face lathering is more product and more watery. So use a bit more product than you usually do and after you think the lather is right, dip the tip of your brush and water it down yet again.

That I'm not a fan of Tabac soap. Sure, it lathers great, and is wonderfully slick, and it gave me a really nice shave this morning. But I'm not loving the scent...

On the other hand, I do like the scent of Arko, so there is that against me...

Top Bottom