What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

A traditional kamisori can shave very well.
It's still inconvenient to use with both hands, but even the ura side, with the proper angle, can shave nicely.

More importantly, will the RR soaps mask the scent of the Arko?
That would be a good thing.

So far so good John, but I haven't tried it on all my RR soaps yet. By the way, I tried the "Cremo as we discussed," and it did add slickness, but alas, it masked the scent of the RR. Hopefully RR reads these posts. If Arko can make a soap that performs so well and sells for $2, you'd think RR could offer a nicer smelling version of the same for $10.

That I’m still new at this and I need to concentrate on building a lather properly. Today I clearly wasn’t focused and really struggled to get a nice, rich lather from my Col Conk.

I’m still not quite sure what happened, the big chance was that I used my new Omega 100066 Boar Brush for the first time and I think I may not have loaded it enough.

I kept getting a very thin, yet slick lather and had to keep going back to the puck for each pass, usually I have enough lather in the bowl to do 4 passes.

Sounds like you didn't shake enough water out of your brush before loading it. It's easier to add a bit of water at a time if the soap is too dry than to add more soap if it's too watery.

Been using a brush and DE razor for a little over 3 years....maybe 4. I cut alot of corners to save time and developed some poor habits but the biggest I didn't realize was that after applying lather with a brush I immediately start shaving. After applying lather I knocked some stuff off the counter, had a spill and had to clean it up which took a couple minutes when I went back to start shaving I noticed that after waiting a couple minutes after applying lather it gave the hair time to stand up straight in the lather away from my face. I got a much better shave on the initial pass .

Been using a brush and DE razor for a little over 3 years....maybe 4. I cut alot of corners to save time and developed some poor habits but the biggest I didn't realize was that after applying lather with a brush I immediately start shaving. After applying lather I knocked some stuff off the counter, had a spill and had to clean it up which took a couple minutes when I went back to start shaving I noticed that after waiting a couple minutes after applying lather it gave the hair time to stand up straight in the lather away from my face. I got a much better shave on the initial pass .

I think it also softens the whiskers.

I didn't learn this on today's shave but it annoys me more every day. The grey hairs on my chin (only spot I have them) for whatever reason seem to be more resilient. Someone got the scientific breakdown? Because I swear I'm not imagining it.

That I’m still new at this and I need to concentrate on building a lather properly. Today I clearly wasn’t focused and really struggled to get a nice, rich lather from my Col Conk.

I’m still not quite sure what happened, the big chance was that I used my new Omega 10066 Boar Brush for the first time and I think I may not have loaded it enough.

I kept getting a very thin, yet slick lather and had to keep going back to the puck for each pass, usually I have enough lather in the bowl to do 4 passes.
IMO and IME slick 'n' thin is the way to go for great shaves. Cushion stops you from feeling the blade properly, often resulting in weepers and worse.

I didn't learn this on today's shave but it annoys me more every day. The grey hairs on my chin (only spot I have them) for whatever reason seem to be more resilient. Someone got the scientific breakdown? Because I swear I'm not imagining it.

I've been a barber for 53 years, and I can answer your question. It's common for grey hair to be coarser than the hair it replaces.

The RazoRock Barberpole SS handle is grippier than I remembered.
proxy.php

Still not as grippy as the one that came with the Fendrihan All-Stainless Mk I, but nicer looking.
(Fendrihan)

Maybe it's the soup.
proxy.php

I’m still not quite sure what happened, the big chance was that I used my new Omega 100066 Boar Brush for the first time and I think I may not have loaded it enough.

I am 3 years in and learned something a while back that may help. Load your brush like it is your last shave on earth. Or the other thing I tell myself, load it like you stole it. I use to skimp on lathering, trying to load just enough for the shave. Since acquiring more soap than I will likely use in the next 10 years it doesn't bother me to waste a little these days. I would rather waste a little and have a great shave then skimp and have a bad shave. For croaps(and creams) I take some out and put in a lather bowl or scuttle and I like to make sure I have enough. For hard soaps I do go back to the puck is needed but usually I don't have to. Good lick!

- That I never really cared for my Gillette New Short Comb but today since I hadn't used it in a while and it was collecting dust the gold razor called out to me. Loaded it up with a Gillette Silver Blue(trying to use up so not my normal blade) along with some B&M Reserve Spice I got a nice shave. It seemed to excel at carving off my 4 days of growth that I would usually turn to my aggressive Schick J series.

- That twice a year I shave my mustache off and today was the first time I didn't nick my upper lip. A few more shaves and will have to row it back. It just not feel right without it.

I used to apply the blade right away. Then I read here how Gillette used to advise its razor owners in the instruction pamphlet to let the cream or soap (in their case, of course, Gillette Foamy) soak in for about 2 minutes. Currently I leave the soap or cream in place for 2-3 while I make the bed and do some other little chores. When I apply the razor, the beard is much less stiff.

I don't get a much different shave whether I merely wash my face in hot water, rinse, lather and shave in hot water or if I do the same routine ( face wash in the shower) after a hot shower where I my face gets wet and soaks my beard for the whole time I am in the shower. Maybe very slightly closer with the shower, but no other noticeable difference.

That no matter how many passes or whichever angle of approach I implement, I will most likely never achieve BBS on some parts of my face / neck.

Top Bottom