What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

That after nicking my throat on Monday a.m. and feeling a tiny bit of irritation, it would be a good idea to skip shaving on Tuesday to let my skin rest, and come back to it on Wednesday. So I have.

My mom's Schick Lady Eversharp razor (K1) gives a a great shave.
She gave it to me some time ago when she was down-sizing her apartment, and heard that I was interested in vintage shaving gear.
It never occurred to me to try it, even though I had bought a new pack of blades for it.
But I tried it last night, to see what all the fuss was about.
The light weight took getting used to. It felt like a disposable. I didn't like the round handle either, even though I'm used to them on my DE razors.
I'm thinking to get another one for myself, say an I1 for the HydroMagic feature, or an M1 adjustable. Both have rectangular handles.

Tabac is an amazing soap. It’s now at the top of my rotation. I’ve used it the last three days, for the first time. It’s been in my drawer for the last 10-12 months before trying. One of the biggest regrets I have since wetshaving is not trying it sooner.

I've been avoiding tallow-based soaps for the whole two years of my wet-shaving experience, then I got a Stirling soap, and now I'd like to try other tallow soaps. Is Tabac comparable to a Stirling?

Tabac is better in my opinion. But Stirling is a fine soap and an excellent value. Where Stirling excels is the endless scent possibilities and affordable, large samples. You’ll likely love Tabac’s one scent, or hate it.

I shouldn’t be trying for BBS shaves yet as a n00b. Settled for just a nice shave today, and my face is much happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That the beveled cap of my new-to-me Hoffritz Slant seems to drag on my face. Not the blade (a Personna Red); the shave is fine. But I can feel the cap of the razor rubbing lightly on my slick wet face behind the blade. It's odd, as none of my other razors do this. It must be the shape of the cap.

Oh, and that, once again, a 48-hour beard results in a better shave experience than with a 24-hour beard.

La Toja makes terrific products!! :a29::a29:

Combined their soap stick with my new bottle of La Toja AS for a great shave this AM!!

I had an amazing shave using cold water. If you haven't done it before, I highly recommend. No cuts, no irritation, and still produced a close, comfortable shave.

I think the reason we get razor-burn from dull blades is that, when we see the blade isn't cutting, we instinctively increase pressure.

Very possibly! I just changed injector blades yesterday and it felt much better and more forgiving than the last 2-3 shaves of the old blade. I change DE blades more often because they're cheaper, but I've only had about a month of experience with injectors so I wasn't sure yet how long they would last for me.

Top Bottom