What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

that Proraso red is my go to come winter time! if you are having issues with proraso not being slick, add more water too it, and or try the proraso pre shave, that stuff is magic!

that Proraso red is my go to come winter time! if you are having issues with proraso not being slick, add more water too it, and or try the proraso pre shave, that stuff is magic!
I will at some point. I just got the Stirling Green and Bonaparte sets in the mail. Gonna be hard to drag me away from them for a while! Thank you. I hate the sight of my proraso white soap and preshave just exiled to a drawer in the bathroom.

That Proraso white preshave is one of my favorites, I haven't tried the soap, but I did buy it as a christmas gift for my coworker, so we will see what he thinks, he's a big Proraso guy like myself.

I do love the white balm, I have a bottle of that for when I start to get razor burn and or irritation and let me tell you, it really does work!

I will at some point. I just got the Stirling Green and Bonaparte sets in the mail. Gonna be hard to drag me away from them for a while! Thank you. I hate the sight of my proraso white soap and preshave just exiled to a drawer in the bathroom.

I did that with my Proraso white ...... and then finally just tossed it.

Just had my first Prorasso Red shave. Love the scent, performance and slickness was good too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hello,

Don't drink and shave! :)

Take care
YouYou

Yeah —— learned that myself a year or so ago ——- shaving with a Feather DX. Ended up with a mean cut on my thumb when switching hands. Guess it could have been worse. Imperial Stout and Feather DX don’t go well together.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I really out to inspect blades before using them for the first time, and St Petersburg needs to keep on top of replacing worn abrasives.

I have learned this lesson before (to inspect before use) but it's easy to get lazy and assume all will be well.

- That I can't believe how Sv Felce Aromatica is just hanging around in the bottom of my lather bowl and proving difficult to use up. They are shrinking though.

- That while trying to use up the SV fern and leaving the lather residue in the bottom of the bowl and adding other soaps/creams to it while trying to use up the remaining pieces proves to have quite the nice lather and scent being mixed with a few other soaps that have been added lately. The little pieces aren't enough to get a good lather from so have to add other soaps to make up for it.

Sometimes, when you least expect it ... It all comes together and you get a truly blissful shave.

Today, when I wasn't sure I had time to shave, using the razor that I almost didn't choose, with the soap I almost didn't pick, and the brush that I'm not sure I really like, everything came together and provided me with an amazing shave.

Don't try to shave in a hurry with a Merkur 45. It's only mildly aggressive, but deceptively so. It will turn aggressive in a heartbeat, much more so even than a Gillette Aristocrat. I was in a rush today and cut myself about 3 times. And with a Gillette Rubie, no less!

• A styptic pencil (anhydrous aluminum sulfate) is far more effective at stopping bleeding from a bad nick that an alum block (potassium alum).
  • Instead of blooming a soap or croap by adding a bit of water to the top of it, leave the cap on and drop the tub into hot water during the prep shower. This softens it up a bit without watering down what remains in the tub.
  • Brut is back in the aftershave rotation. I grew weary of its scent after using up an entire puck's worth of "Brutus Vilius" (Williams Mug soap mixed with Brut aftershave) almost two years ago. Scent preferences can change, and change back again, over time.
Yep, proraso still doesn't work. Almost zero slickness. No residual slickness whatsoever, not enough to shave with anyway.
I find that Proraso Red is good enough for lather, but I mostly like it for the scent.
With Proraso Green or White (croaps), I have to add a little dab of Cremo or Nivea Originals cream. I think the Proraso provides the structure (?) of the lather plus most of the scent, and the cream provides the slickness. Nivea cream also mellows out the scent of the Green or White to something I can almost like.

I have no idea why unmodified Green seems to be the most popular flavour of Proraso. o_O It is beyond me.

This last, and on one other recent shave... As barbers do the neck after a haircut, powdering up the head after shaving it can be quite soothing. Keeps the sheen down on the chrome dome too.

Top Bottom