What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When assessing the quality of a shave, conclusions made as soon as the shave is finished, are incomplete. The comfort from that moment till the next shave, the time at which stubble will reappear, and the condition of face and beard immediately prior to the next shave, are all factors derived from the first shave that cannot be taken into account in that early assessment. A shave can seem better or worse than initially viewed, when assessed later taking those other factors into account.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When assessing the quality of a shave, conclusions made as soon as the shave is finished, are incomplete. The comfort from that moment till the next shave, the time at which stubble will reappear, and the condition of face and beard immediately prior to the next shave, are all factors derived from the first shave that cannot be taken into account in that early assessment. A shave can seem better or worse than initially viewed, when assessed later taking those other factors into account.
+1 About 1 hr later after the skin settles down for myself tells me a lot how close the shave was.

Rushing the shave a little this morning, not loading enough soap resulting in a thin lather on the third pass, and a 2011 R41 resulted in needing the styptic pencil. Haven’t felt the sting of the styptic in a while.

Try as I might, I despise vegan soaps. Only tallow for me! MWF still gives me the best shave out of all soaps I've ever tried. It's also scent neutral after the rinse so it never conflicts with the day's aftershave choice.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you have been getting good results with some of your shaving gear in the past, there is a very good chance the results will stay the same next go around.
Have some great shaves!:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Gillette Foamy while not the equal of a brush on soap or cream still gives a decent shave with good hydration and technique. Sometimes for variety I use a canned cream.
Today’s flavor was the menthol.

That even though I don't get along with my 34c very well it has proven the last few shaves that is has given the least amount of irritation. There is just something about the razor that seems like it pulls more than my Slim.

I apply my pre-shave proraso menthol, wait a few minute, then rub my stirling pre-shave bar over the proraso pre-shave, then face lather with proraso green soap. Bloody hell, this proraso soap for me always needed help in terms of slickness, and now it has gotten it.

I learned that my lather technique is still crap. Dried out mid pass. Figure I need to get more water in the mix, and maybe try out lathering in a bowl. Also, shaving the chin is still hard, and getting the angle right on my neck is hard.

I've realized, through months of sacrifice and study, that I can get a good lather and subsequent shave with a non-tallow soap if I just mix enough of it in the lather.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Feels like i cant shake a lifetime of bad cart habits i developed. Im not sure how it happens but the quick move repositioning the razor on my face cuts with a de. Half inch linear cut. Ugh.

Top Bottom