What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Never to settle for less!!

Truly I have been shaving with a cheap Indian straight razor, Today I went back to my old shavette with which I began my wet shave experience. I used Gillette super platinum blades on it. All these while I thought something was wrong with my blade angle or technique. I even rubbed the alum block really hard since I was missing that familiar burn, but nothing. A really cool shave feels nothing in ATG or XTG in a mere 2 pass, I didn't even go XTG !!

Moral of the story : I am going to stick with my shavette till I am rich enough for a Boker.

i had to quote this because that was pretty much the shave setup I used today (changed from a feather to a Gillette 7o'clock SS).

I learned that even though I really want to tame the sharpest of blades (feathers) and skillfully make all stubble disappear in the fewest passes, really what works better for me is a smoother blade (for my skin) and an extra pass if needed. I can get away with more blade angle on the last pass and not have it feel like I am running a cheese grater across the more sensitive parts of my face.
I achieved a BBS shave on my chin for the very first time today and I have zero razor burn!

I finally took the next step after starting DE shaving a few months ago and went XTG and ATG in several areas on my neck and was rewarded w/ a mostly BBS shave. Still learning though as I did have some minor razor burn. Luckily, I have a ton of products to remedy this.

Never to settle for less!!

Truly I have been shaving with a cheap Indian straight razor, Today I went back to my old shavette with which I began my wet shave experience. I used Gillette super platinum blades on it. All these while I thought something was wrong with my blade angle or technique. I even rubbed the alum block really hard since I was missing that familiar burn, but nothing. A really cool shave feels nothing in ATG or XTG in a mere 2 pass, I didn't even go XTG !!

Moral of the story : I am going to stick with my shavette till I am rich enough for a Boker.
Don't know about Indian cutthroats, but I can attest to the quality of German steel. I've just been getting into straight razors and yesterday and today I plucked up the courage to do an ATG pass. Man oh man, what an exhilarating feeling!

PS. You don't need to be rich. Find a decent vintage razor on the "site which must not be named" and bid on it. I honed my own, but you can get one honed for $25 or so.

Or you can buy a vintage straight from a fellow B&B member. I've got a wonderful Wusthof-Dreizach for a very reasonable price from a member and it has performed flawlessly.

Anyway, keep us posted when you make the jump to straights. Since you're using shavettes, I think you'll love it.

I learned that I actually do like Feathers. They didn't work for me at all in my HD or Fat Boy, but it was comfortable in my NEW LC. Also was reminded today that when the lather starts to dry, don't just shave over it anyway...

Don't allow the SWMBO in the bathroom while you're handling a sharp blade, is a lesson I learned again this morning :tongue_sm

Yesterday I learned that skin stretching = irritation for me. Learning to stretch was a critical skill initially but now, through trial & error, find that its detrimental.

I also learned that its ok to unlearn some things, when my mileage varies as compared to others.

The only way I can get to certain parts of my neck is by stretching the skin.

I learned that even a very mild Canadian Tech can give a great DFS shave. I had used it once 3 months ago and then put it aside. Well my technique has improved and it gave me a wonderful shave!

I will now have to decide whether to spend the extra money on PolSilver Super Iridium, when Crystals or Red Personnas are considerably cheaper. The shave I just had with that PolSilver in my Merkur 38c Barber Pole, was the best shave I have had in decades (note - just recently started DE shaving again).

That Gillette super thins don't work that well for me and that they have a picture for a twin blade cartridge in the wrapper.

That no matter how much I shave this one part of my head it always feels like there is hair there. I think at some point I'm feeling the follicles.

A dry washcloth in your non razor hand helps hold the skin tight on your last AG pass. Start holding/pulling at the base of your neck and work your way up. Also helps dry the drips off your razor hand when you come back from rinsing in the sink (I hate water running down my forearm...weird OCD)

I learned that if I scoop out some from the tub and drop it in the bowl I somehow get a better lather than any which way I load the brush from the tub!?!
attachment.php

I will now have to decide whether to spend the extra money on PolSilver Super Iridium, when Crystals or Red Personnas are considerably cheaper. The shave I just had with that PolSilver in my Merkur 38c Barber Pole, was the best shave I have had in decades (note - just recently started DE shaving again).

That's a no brainer. Personnas are a very good blade, but Polsilver SIs are just outstanding. Super smooth and the shave lasts much longer.

That a Schick Type G is a really maneuverable little razor. I had one in my den for at least a year and never tried it. I probably should have done so earlier. DFS results on a first go are nothing to sneeze at.

Top Bottom