What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Had a rough first shave and a better second shave with a Crystal Platinum. The third this morning was even better. I guess blades, like a good woman or fine wine, get better with age (at least to a point). :cool:

I learned that aggressive razors are no bueno for gents with thick beards that have to shave against the grain to get a clean shave. Gonna try my luck with a above the tie or feather here pretty soon.

I learned that after 6 months using only straights, picking up my DE because in a hurry was a false economy time-wise—gave myself a nasty, almost blade length cut, and this after shaving with that razor for 20 years. hmph.

That although I thought I was shaving WTG on the right side of my neck, I was really shaving diagonal, or close to XTG. This revelation gave me the least irritating neck shave I've had in a lot time.

One of my inherited sfatey razors (a Gillete that I guess must be from the 1930's) is nightmare to use, it will get your skin irritated without much ado: there must be an instruction manual around, it is impossible to use it without it. I spent the whole day long applying a cream prescribed for burn healing. Plus, it won't shave that good, even thought the blade was new.

So far all those that I used were quite friendly. This is def. not.

Lesson learned: must be careful when shaving with a new one.

For me, the toughest part of my beard is the area directly below the outer reaches of my mouth. Today I focused heavily on lathering this area more than others, leaving the skin loose and allowing my boar brush to push the skin this way and that.
It paid off handsomely. As we know, prep is everything. But think about which part of your beard gives the most trouble to the blade, and lather that area like there's no tomorrow. You will be richly rewarded.

I shaved for the first time today with an LC "new" that I have had for a few weeks.

This thing shaves the tough area under my chin with total ease! I didn't even have to slow down!

For me, the toughest part of my beard is the area directly below the outer reaches of my mouth. Today I focused heavily on lathering this area more than others, leaving the skin loose and allowing my boar brush to push the skin this way and that.
It paid off handsomely. As we know, prep is everything. But think about which part of your beard gives the most trouble to the blade, and lather that area like there's no tomorrow. You will be richly rewarded.

Thanks. I have trouble with the exact area too. Will try this.

BTW, I learned today that I was making the lather a tad too thick, which compromised on slickness. Added a little more water accidentally today and realized this.

1: Trumper's creams lather so much better than their soaps.
2: When the blade is moving, think about where the blade is rather than continue to admire a wonderful lather.

Slow strokes give more precision to the shave especially under my chin area. I've paced down in the past few weeks as I am learning to use a cartridge again and I find that slow strokes does pleasure to my skin and the time taken doesn't necessarily vary that much with a "quick" morning shave

Crystal Super+ Premiums do get better as you use them even when switching to a 1959 Gillette 195 on setting #6 from a Super Speed!
:thumbup:

Top Bottom