What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that three days is the maximum I'll go without shaving. Every day or every other day is fine but three or more is just too much tugging regardless of razor or brand of blade. After more than a year of DE shaving and improved techniques for lathering and prep, my skin seems to handle daily shaves pretty well. If I do get some irritation a skipped day is no big deal but three plus is just... gross.

I learned that hard work and persistence on the JNAT can produce a buttery smooth edge. It took many, many hours and several different tomo combinations/slurries but the reward of BBS was there.

Frank

I learned that just because you are shaving upward doesn't necessarily mean you are shaving against the grain. (On the right side of the chin on my face) It is always an area prone to irritation. Since I normally shave XTG on that side of my face, that one spot means I'm really shaving ATG. That's why I get irritation. Well if I shave upward on that one spot, I'm really going XTG. Just got one of the closest and most comfortable shaves ever today because of this.

I learned that just because you are shaving upward doesn't necessarily mean you are shaving against the grain. (On the right side of the chin on my face) It is always an area prone to irritation. Since I normally shave XTG on that side of my face, that one spot means I'm really shaving ATG. That's why I get irritation. Well if I shave upward on that one spot, I'm really going XTG. Just got one of the closest and most comfortable shaves ever today because of this.

i learned this the hard way as well. On my neck I always shaved downward but I was actually going ATG in some spots. Since I've started shaving upwards on my neck I've had the best shaves ever with no irritation.

Canned goop really is bad. I don't have time on Friday mornings to do a proper shave and often will use a cartridge and goop in the shower to get me through. Today I grabbed my Tech instead of the Mach 3 and used the goop and was underwhelmed by the lack of lubrication.

I learned that three days is the maximum I'll go without shaving. Every day or every other day is fine but three or more is just too much tugging regardless of razor or brand of blade. After more than a year of DE shaving and improved techniques for lathering and prep, my skin seems to handle daily shaves pretty well. If I do get some irritation a skipped day is no big deal but three plus is just... gross.

I "learn" this lesson once every few months or so when I get really lazy. No way I can do every day but every 3 days is good. More than that and I am in trouble.

Canned goop really is bad. I don't have time on Friday mornings to do a proper shave and often will use a cartridge and goop in the shower to get me through. Today I grabbed my Tech instead of the Mach 3 and used the goop and was underwhelmed by the lack of lubrication.

You might try one of the tube creams that recommends hand application instead of a brush. I've had great luck with Cremo Astonishingly Superior Shave Cream (#1 Best Selling on Amazon). It's cheap and works great, it's quicker and simpler than using a brush (for me at least), and it's much better than any canned product I've used. I've just started using an upscale version that is also meant to be applied by hand, L'Occitane CADE Shaving Cream for Men. I'm not sure yet if it is worth the price bump, but it definitely seems promising.

-- Good luck whichever way you go.

Straight razors are really tough to use the first time. Learning the proper technique will certainly take time. I'll give this razor a chance, but I think DE razors are the ones for me.
:rolleyes:

I've been shaving with a DE razor for about 2 and a half years and I've just realised what a difference thorough prep makes. Thank you Kyle/B&B for ever improving my shaves! :)

With a straight (or shavette) in your hand, the terms "correct angle" and "zero pressure" are taken to the next level.

Top Bottom