What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Don't be so focused on shaving that you don't notice SWMBO standing in the bathroom until she suddenly screams really loudly at the kids for not getting ready for school fast enough.

That, with a temporarily out-of-commission right hand, I can lather and shave reasonably well with my left.

Recently acquired a Lutz three piece slant razor. It's a very light weight razor. The first shave was OK but not great. All my other slants have longer handles and more weight. The second shave I swapped out the stock handle for the Weber handle. "Oh My," The offset slant, one side more aggressive than the other. I got a fantastic shave from a new razor made in Germany in the 1930's.

After today's shave I learned that TOBS grapefruit does not taste like it smells....come on, I can't be the only one who's tried this, right? :-D

Being hollow inside, you could always load the handle to weight it.

Recently acquired a Lutz three piece slant razor. It's a very light weight razor. The first shave was OK but not great. All my other slants have longer handles and more weight. The second shave I swapped out the stock handle for the Weber handle. "Oh My," The offset slant, one side more aggressive than the other. I got a fantastic shave from a new razor made in Germany in the 1930's.

A #77/88 is an excellent choice for the upper lip. Actually, I knew that already, it was just reinforced after a handful of shaves with a toggle.

I HAD to try a toggle. I am not sure it is for me. So far, I have trended towards small weepers and less than stellar results on my upper lip. I only have about five or six shaves in with it, so it will get more chances, but so far it is not a favorite as a shaver. They are pretty cool looking however.

Let the weight of the razor do the work. Had a great shave today like that, but sometimes I forget that little fact. Makes a BIG difference in the end.

My issue with the toggle is the same as with the fatboy, I find it doesn't convey much feel as far as where the corners of the blade are.

Let the weight of the razor do the work. Had a great shave today like that, but sometimes I forget that little fact. Makes a BIG difference in the end.

I agree with this assessment and haven't given up on it yet, but I find there are razors that are more natural matches out of the box.

My issue with the toggle is the same as with the fatboy, I find it doesn't convey much feel as far as where the corners of the blade are.

I tend to agree with this. Fatboys aren't one of my favorites. I thought the toggle might be similar, but one doesn't know until they try them.

I agree we should learn daily from our daily shaves. Good point!

Today I learned what a marvelous razor is my 1936 Gillette Aristocrat. It's a little aggressive, but if one goes slowly the close shaves are outstanding!

Never to settle for less!!

Truly I have been shaving with a cheap Indian straight razor, Today I went back to my old shavette with which I began my wet shave experience. I used Gillette super platinum blades on it. All these while I thought something was wrong with my blade angle or technique. I even rubbed the alum block really hard since I was missing that familiar burn, but nothing. A really cool shave feels nothing in ATG or XTG in a mere 2 pass, I didn't even go XTG !!

Moral of the story : I am going to stick with my shavette till I am rich enough for a Boker.

Top Bottom