What's new

What did you hone today?

Like TBN between Mejiro and Koma it bridges a gap nicely on certain steels, I like the feel and added refinement it brings into the mix. I'm look for a nice piece of a Ban too.

Not that this one needed honing I was just playing around with a few different tomo's to see if I could refine the edge a bit further, stated with an 8K Shapton GS then base stone is Nakayama Asagi, first used a DN #600 slurry and stropped and did HHT then one tomo then the second, all seemed to give the same HHT so guess so much for refining the edge.

$IMG_4608.jpg

Broke out the very old vintage bout with the cool lines today and got it back in order with lapping and reset the chamfer on the edges afterwards. Honed up the Genco on it today and very excellent results. Treetops hairs easily off the stone with a very uniform looking edge under the loupe. It is rather slow even with slurry but exceptionally smooth as well.

View attachment 647562

That Genco gets around! :w00t: Kind of like my B-ZY. I am preparing for an incoming Heljestrand and, as luck would have it, another Thiers and perhaps a lot of 3 more Heljestrands. I will have to start listing some of my shave ready beauties to satisfy SWMBO.

$beaujeu Thiers.jpg

I have a nearly terminal case of RAD!

[MENTION=105872]majorrich[/MENTION], you are absolutely correct Rich, that Genco is the first contestant on any stone new to me. Not sure if I am the only one who feels this way, but I believe that once you have nailed an edge on a razor like I did at one time on this Genco to an absolutely Perfect Grail Shave Edge, I think it is highly valuable to use that same razor to compare stones because you are now fully aware of how it Can Be and Should Be and then you can make a solid determination as to whether the stone in question is truly able to accomplish that edge. It kind of lets you know where the stone should place in the progression or if it is just way beyond anything you have used before:thumbup:

I found this old Le Grelot. No model number on this one and its near-wedge grind is unusual.
$Honed.jpg
I deviated a bit from my synthetic progression I have been using most recently. This time I stopped at the King 6K and went straight to the Imperia La Roccia and finished up on the pink agate.

Honed a recent arrival: an unbranded hand-forged Yasuki steel razor (sorry no pic yet). Day before I had gotten my first truly "decent" coticule-only edge on this razor. Shave was easy and comfortable, but just not quite as close as I'm used to. It has inspired me to try again on several razors with the La Verte that has been so frustrating lo these many months. But, I also couldn't resist putting the Yasuki steel onto my JNAT (Ozuku Kiita Iramono) yesterday before bed. Wow. Today's shave was fantastic. The JNAT added a level of keenness / closeness that I appreciate while staying just about as "comfy" as the coticule-only finish.

Gonna have to buy another Yasuki steel razor too, because this one has a very different (and wonderful) feel on the hones -- soft, smooth, and silky -- and I want to see if it's just this particular razor or a trait of Yasuki steel more generally.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Touched up my daily shaver (previously honed on a coticule) on a la lune. 20 light laps with smiths honing solution. The shave was top notch. I really like the coticule/Lune combo. They seem to play very well together.

$IMG_0315.JPG

My first stone from Jarrod bought about 4 years ago and have had some great shaves off it, a La Grise.Its slow but effective.The scratches on the strop are from the cat but don't hurt the outcome of the shave much.I should have stopped buying stones back then,but that was impossible.Hard to get (Kanayama)strops with the higher numbers these days.Looking forward to a great shave using these 3 things today.

I found this Klas Tornblom that needed some love.
I honed it all on synthetic this time.
DMT 300 and 600. King 1K, Norton 4k/8K, King 6K, Shapton 12K, Naniwa 10K, Shapton 16K.
Test shave tomorrow morning, hopefully
$Honed.jpg

Received a very generous gift from a member here (Thanks @Mango) it's a Ben Hur which I have never heard of, well after spending alittle time on the C1K with a single layer of Super 88 to remove a few chips from the blade I removed the tape and reset the bevel again then did a 4/8 combo on my Shapton GS stones and finished off on the Okudo Asagi with a #600 DN slurry and worked it down to a mist and then 25/75 on my Scruppleworks 3".

I was rewarded after this little bit of work with an outstanding BBS shave using some MWF soap.

$IMG_4614.jpg

And another fine Swede last night.
This one is a CV Heljestrand MK10, very similar to a MK32 except for a less hollow grind.
$Honed.jpg
Simple synthetic progression with finish on Shapton 16K.

Does or did CVH's blades arrive pretty darned sharp when they were new? I just received a NOS blade that after a few passes water only on my Jnat actually Whittles hair! Cleaves them lengthwise. I've not seen that before. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

$image.jpg
I am also having trouble identifying if it is a near wedge or quarter ground.
View attachment 648973

Top Bottom