What's new

What did you hone today?

I honed my second Lecoultre, very uneventfully.
Bevel was a breeze on DMT600, followed by King 1K.
Synthetic progression after that: Norton 4K, Norton 8K, King 6K, Shapton 12K, Naniwa 10K, Shapton 16K
Finished on Imperia la Roccia followed by Agates.
$Honed.jpg

Just a little too much weight for handhoning, sorry forget to post a pic of the surface.

And yes thats the side of the stone.

proxy.php

Greets Sebastian.

This old Thiers-Issard 69 1196. I just did a straight coticule edge after bevel set as I finally wanted to see what this stamped coticule is capable of. Hard stone, slow on slurry and dead slow on water. Stone does not have much feedback. Bevel ended up really polished by coti standards. Very nice steel to deal with on these fwiw, A bit harder than typical solingen, but highly cooperative.

proxy.php

wasnt happy with the 6/8 Friodur i honed the other day so it got a touch up on a vintage thuri ..
proxy.php

then touched up a Joseph Smith & Sons on another coti from thick slurry - water .... then started a bevel on a 7/8 Friodur on a nani 1k and finished bevel on a coti before going through progressions on another coti and finally finishing on a thuri
proxy.php

I worked on another Frameback. This one is a Fontenille.
I tried to only used the gem stones for this one and for the first time it looks like it worked to HHT.
Well, I cheated a bit. The blade was old and beat up, so I cleaned the edge on a DMT 600 first.
Then bevel on black Onyx. Then Ruby, Jade and orange Agate. Finish on the brown Agate.
$Honed.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A half-hollow Solingen "Shaver's Delight" on a karasu pattern suita. Unusual stone, likely from the lower levels of the teniyou layers. It's not hard compared to kiita and asagi finishers, and requires a clear water finish for the best edge on a razor. Even then, the edge does not feel as acutely sharp as most finishers, but is extremely smooth. And as Doc226 says, sharp is easy, smooth is hard. The edge made for a BBS shave in two passes.

It also does killer hi/ja on laminated Japanese knives.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1726.jpg
    $IMG_1726.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 145
Not sure this constitutes honing but ran several straights over the Apache Strata and after got a better than normal shave from the GD 208, did 25 "X" Strokes then 25 regular with a few drops of glycerin on the stone.View attachment 533031$IMG_1845.jpg$IMG_1936.jpg$IMG_1937.jpg

Top Bottom