What's new

What did you hone today?

A minor touchup for the Koken 166 on the Oozuko Asagi Lv5+ from Maksim a good many years ago. Oozuko's were popular at that time, and with good reason. I've added a few JNats after, but never succeeded in surpassing this one. My first JNat, and I've said this before.. the only one I ever needed!

Credit where it is due..

After a great shave with the Mitsuon off my Nakayama Kiita, I thought perhaps it was time for another JNat to fool with. I saw a nice one on JNS, and contacted Maksim. He was kind enough, and honest enough to tell me that I would not be bettering this Oozuko... Fine service from a reputable vendor!

proxy.php

While using the DD Goldedge the other day something just didn’t feel right. So today I looked at the edge under magnification and sure enough looks like I dinged the edge. Had to take it back to the beginning to get a nice sized chip out of the edge.

Went synthetics till the end and pulled out the Yellow Lake that we’ve been taking about. I know it’s a fine stone and so to see the edge improve with it after the Naniwa 12K was quite pleasing.

I’d compare this YL to about any high end natural.

2C1F4F0A-8EA3-4750-AC45-1DFD90942972.jpeg

Well then, well then, then now, bugger me sideways with a fish fork and call me a heron... I was not expecting the Deerlick Oilstone to be like this. Not even a little bit.

It's easily in the realms of HHT5 razor finishing, and I will tell you for damn certain - it ain't no 'Ohio Blue' Sandstone.

View attachment 1626437

View attachment 1626436

View attachment 1626435
From that picture, definitely not Ohio blue stone. My Queer creek stone finished off much finer than I expected but I don't imagine it was finer than a fine washita. How'd you manage to stumble across that one?

Playing with my curved coticules again. No, the honing police have not locked me up yet;)
The coticules was used to prepare the bevel for my jnat.
Koma followed by tomo nagura progression.
I also wanted to see if my new strop introduced any problematic striations.
20230325_120018.jpg

Using linen and leather seem to be quite effective.
The first image is from the jnat, finished with tomo slurry, and stropped on clean leather for just a few passes. The slight darkening behind the apex shows the micro convexity cased by the slurry on the jnat. This is revealed by the strop.

IPC_2023-03-25.11.50.25.4680.jpg

This last image shows the effect from further stropping on linen and leather on my new horse hide strop.
From what I can see this inhance the edge. It does more then just alligh the edge.
From the images, and from past experience with this setup, this will be a typical crisp jnat edge. This shobudani is fine, and really hard.

IPC_2023-03-25.11.56.39.7390.jpg

The convex coticules was just used to move the resultant contact on the bevel towards the apex, making the jnat more effective. The tiny concavity, if any, will not make any difference when used this way.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Well then, well then, then now, bugger me sideways with a fish fork and call me a heron... I was not expecting the Deerlick Oilstone to be like this. Not even a little bit.

It's easily in the realms of HHT5 razor finishing, and I will tell you for damn certain - it ain't no 'Ohio Blue' Sandstone.

View attachment 1626437

View attachment 1626436

View attachment 1626435
I got one this week, but my label is different. The surface does not look so fine, but I have not lapped it yet.

I know Deerlick were selling Trans Arks under their banner. I suspect yours might be an Ark?

Sorry @Steve56 ! I decided to just hone it myself rather than send it to you, and have to wait 2-3 years to get it back!

I ran it through the synthetic stones up to 20k, and then went to one of my favorite finishers.

This green stone was purchased in Devonshire, England, out of a tool shop, a long time ago by my pal. I generated a nice slurry with an Atoma 1200, and diluted it down to just water…then finished at the sink with weight of the razor only. After five laps it stuck to the stone.

This stone has a wonderful slimy velvety feedback with slurry, and under the loupe it does appear when the light hits it just right to improve upon the scratch pattern of the 20k. The striations become so faint/fine/tight it makes the bevel under the loupe to appear hazy, not unlike a very fine JNAT. This stone is obviously NOT a JNAT. So I am left to guess at what it is…which drives me nuts!

The HHT with an extremely fine hair, root in, was silent, lifeless, zero feedback…just almost invisible hair falling off the of the edge. Shave test tomorrow!

DE8FC355-0A31-43EE-9F0E-1AE50EE155D9.jpeg
6A012380-4632-46B0-BBB3-E7E1FC1E272E.jpeg
105EFD53-4581-44D3-8047-363166A51D79.jpeg

Sorry @Steve56 ! I decided to just hone it myself rather than send it to you, and have to wait 2-3 years to get it back!

I ran it through the synthetic stones up to 20k, and then went to one of my favorite finishers.

This green stone was purchased in Devonshire, England, out of a tool shop, a long time ago by my pal. I generated a nice slurry with an Atoma 1200, and diluted it down to just water…then finished at the sink with weight of the razor only. After five laps it stuck to the stone.

This stone has a wonderful slimy velvety feedback with slurry, and under the loupe it does appear when the light hits it just right to improve upon the scratch pattern of the 20k. The striations become so faint/fine/tight it makes the bevel under the loupe to appear hazy, not unlike a very fine JNAT. This stone is obviously NOT a JNAT. So I am left to guess at what it is…which drives me nuts!

The HHT with an extremely fine hair, root in, was silent, lifeless, zero feedback…just almost invisible hair falling off the of the edge. Shave test tomorrow!

View attachment 1626715View attachment 1626716View attachment 1626717

I still think it’s a Thuri but there is green slate in Devon, the stuff I’ve seen doesn’t look like that, but you never know!

My family all live down there, so I’ll keep an eye out...

(It’s ‘Devon’ btw. Doesn’t have ‘shire’ on the end like most counties in the UK do.)

I still think it’s a Thuri but there is green slate in Devon, the stuff I’ve seen doesn’t look like that, but you never know!

My family all live down there, so I’ll keep an eye out...

(It’s ‘Devon’ btw. Doesn’t have ‘shire’ on the end like most counties in the UK do.)
Did it ever have “shire” on the end?

That’s neat that you have family out that way! Maybe I will just call it an “Cutlers Green” and call it a day!

Get ready for folks screaming that it isn’t! LOL!

Top Bottom