What's new

What did you hone today?

Soon as I got it I knew I was going to love this razor, though didn't quite get there on a Mizu Asagi + nagura progression yesterday.

So today brought out a Welsh combo that basically never fails: Llyn Idwal & Nantlle Valley stones. And sure enough - this Bengall is *completely* excellent. Shaves like a dream :).

IMG-9158.jpg

IMG-9193.jpg

Looks like a kiita weekend for the JNat folks, I’m digging through the flower bed looking for old favorites to revisit and touching up some edges on my American razors for the holiday weekend.

View attachment 1481947View attachment 1481948
How do you like the first razor? I gave the same razor with a coticule as a gift to my brother in law a year ago and I don't think he's even tried it yet. I really liked how it looked, I might hunt up another one.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
How do you like the first razor? I gave the same razor with a coticule as a gift to my brother in law a year ago and I don't think he's even tried it yet. I really liked how it looked, I might hunt up another one.

It’s an excellent razor, takes a wonderful edge. I favor hollows, and any hollow American, Geneva/Genco, Case, Kinfolks, Waterville, Ontario, etc will be good. Case bought aout Geneva and re-branded them as Genco. I’m pretty sure that the Red Imp is just a Case-branded Genco.

Decided to go for a Coticule finish this week. It’s been a while since I’ve used my Coticules. I did a few slurries dilutions including a Mikawa and finished hand held on the modern La Veinette with oil. HHT is there but nothing spectacular. I will let the shave test tomorrow cast the final verdict.

269690F9-DEEC-4638-977B-63187208D8E8.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a beautiful razor.

Ta, I'm pretty chuffed with it!

All the Bengalls I have shave well, but this is definitely now my favourite, as the profile is quite cool and a little unusual, and it's the only one with horn scales. The 'Extra Hollow' grind also seems to be a little less hollow than they normally are. Only thing I'd change is that it doesn't have any jimping.

IMG-9199.jpg

Finally shaved off that new iromono kiita, the edge would hht all along the razor but it wasn't as quite as I like but it was popping hairs like crazy. The shave was smooth, close and VERY sharp. I considered using the razor to Lance open a spider bite on my ankle because it was so smooth. I pend the spider bite during church with my opposite heel so I guess we won't know it's virtue as a scalpel stone but it was great for a razor!

Had to touch up the Kama. Yesterdays shave was a bit underwhelming.

Took it to the LPB with a slurry, did a few dilutions the on plain water. Pretty much could have shaved off it but the went to the English Thuri :) (Yellow Lake)

Turned out to be a nice edge. Shave was much better.
093A2A78-0794-488A-80BF-722911EC5D88.jpeg

I haven’t put this JNAT though it’s proper paces…I killed the edge on a glass bottle, and reset the bevel on a 1k. Did a quick atoma 1200 slurry on the JNAT, and it did remove most of the 1k scratches when viewed under the loupe…with the exception of one spot on the upper part of the bevel near the toe. So I did a second slurry, and the bevel near the edge looked like it had been run through an entire progression, and finished on the JNAT.

It passed the HHT with the root in on a hair that was of medium fineness. This is a surprisingly development!

If the shave goes as I think it will…I am going to have to fool around with this joker quite a bit more!
F3448AEE-0AC9-47CB-9856-C678847A66A5.jpeg

First Charnley shave (thanks @cotedupy , I've ordered another, you old dope peddler).

Quite sharp, easy to hone on. Deburred on chromox denim, bare linen, leather, then back to the stone for 5 swipes to give it the Charnley edge character. I think it's a keeper. View attachment 1482516

Ah nice! I wondered if you'd given that one much of a spin yet. I'm not sure I ever actually used it on a razor.

you old dope peddler

Is this a niche Tom Lehrer reference?? Bravo!

The place I get atoma sheets from was having an EOFY sale last week, so I impulse bought an inexpensive Japanese hatchet to get me over the free shipping minimum.

It has what in the knife game we'd call an 'S-grind', and a pretty much flat cutting bevel. Which is hopefully going to make it quite easy to sharpen on bench stones. Normal axe sharpening is not a forte of mine to say the least, but I think this'll go quite nicely on a Cretan with little expertise required.

IMG-9284.jpg

IMG-9269.jpg

IMG-9271.jpg

Legion

Staff member
The place I get atoma sheets from was having an EOFY sale last week, so I impulse bought an inexpensive Japanese hatchet to get me over the free shipping minimum.

It has what in the knife game we'd call an 'S-grind', and a pretty much flat cutting bevel. Which is hopefully going to make it quite easy to sharpen on bench stones. Normal axe sharpening is not a forte of mine to say the least, but I think this'll go quite nicely on a Cretan with little expertise required.

View attachment 1482601

View attachment 1482603

View attachment 1482602
So you just lay the bevel flat and sharpen like a Scandi knife?

Top Bottom