What's new

What did you hone today?

Legion

Staff member
Thanks @H Brad Boonshaft. Some good tips there. It sounds like your approach will also slowly move the warped razor into more of a smiling shape.

I’ll try the coloured Sharpie next time instead of black. One trick I’ve discovered is that the overrun Sharpie comes right off with a bit of nail polish remover (acetone) when you clean up at the end. Sharpie ink is stubborn stuff.
Metho on a paper towel. No worries.

Bit of fixing and then sharpening on a friend's 'kiritsuke' petty in a bit. Compaaring a couple of Washitas, before a Shoubudani Tomae for that one. Might try some polishing on the Shoubu.

Then will be trying out a new Turkish on a razor. One of only two Turkish I have that I think could have a crack at being a SR finisher. Vamos a ver...

View attachment 1396915

That Turkish is an extraordinarily good razor stone. Easily a quite high level finisher, which is not very common at all ime of Turkish.

(By the same token it’s a pants knife stone obviously, but nice to have one that’s a bit different :).)

For today it was a Terrier Cutlery.

Started on the Chosera 1K to the Norton Lily White. Finished with a set of dilutions on the yellow side of the Les lat then went with oil on the hybrid side. HHT was real good, the edge is very promising.

3A70BBBB-71A9-4196-8BE7-3CB8AD819A50.jpeg
FF74CE02-FC76-430E-A69B-69454213D805.jpeg

For today it was a Terrier Cutlery.

Started on the Chosera 1K to the Norton Lily White. Finished with a set of dilutions on the yellow side of the Les lat then went with oil on the hybrid side. HHT was real good, the edge is very promising.

View attachment 1397093View attachment 1397095
I got to do 4 razors on one of these this weekend. I put a couple on my la lune last night and finished just to see what the shave was like and it was pretty harsh. I like sharp but smooth is essential, because I got pretty sensitive skin.

Today I took the Jung razor back to the Coe Dota Creek then to the new to me Charnley stone. HHT was very good, very promising edge. Thanks @Matt O

View attachment 1397560
A really fine Charnly does a beautiful thing to an edge. To me(on mine) it's makes the edge very crisp and Keen like on an ark but it retains a smooth "can't cut you feel" like a coticule. I don't know if that is the coticule I use that's helping impart that, but I got identical outcomes going from an old, fine washita>black ark>charnwood. It is one of my all time favorite finishing stones and was worth the price paid for it.

I’ve always preferred straight edges and have usually aimed to ‘correct’ smiles by straightening them.

My current thinking is that a smile may in fact be a warps best friend. It should make them easier to hone. It should also ensure that a dreaded frown is avoided which could easily happen if the convex side is honed flat on the stone.

Current thinking:

View attachment 1396764

View attachment 1396765
For the past couple of days I’ve been slowly chipping away at this problem child. I was finally happy with my work on the 1k and today I took it up the progression to 8k. 1k was shaving arm hair and by the end 8k was successfully cutting hanging hairs. Now she’s ready for a finisher. As is often the case, the set back earlier in the week has increased my knowledge.

My how to hone a warp theory was proved in practice. I feel like this new knowledge is really going to help with all of my future honing. By working with instead of against the geometry of razor you really simplify things. Once you position the apex correctly, the only trick you need to master is a rolling stroke on the convex side of the blade. Pretty easy.

I will never again progress a razor from the bevel setter which doesn’t easily and consistently remove all sharpie marks from the length of the blade in only a couple of light pressure strokes. If you can’t do that, you’re not there yet.

Moving the bevel from one side of the blade to the other takes a lot of work on one side. By doing this I actually followed the burr method for the first time by coincidence. For the first time I got a full and unmistakable burr along the full length of the blade. The burr was easy to feel and there was no doubt about it’s presence.

Next stop, Black Arkansas.

D64EE430-A512-4218-B1BD-BA5DDEB38700.jpeg

I honed my Whacker Jungmeister on a Naniwa 12k. It needed a touch up and has been idle for a few months as I switched over to my Ralf Aust 7/8 but had the sharpening gear out to touch up the kitchen knives and figured I might as well take care of the razor too.

The grind on this razor is incredible and the shave is sublime.

An object lesson today in why not to buy jnats from an online vendor you don't really know just because they're pretty and cheap...

When this Shoubu Karasu Suita Koppa arrived it had a couple of very noticeably toxic suji, though I decided I couldn't bothered to return the stone, and instead learn a bit about digging them out or getting rid. And I did learn a bit, but the toxic streaks were bad, and seemed to run through the whole stone. Finally I lapped some more of it this afternoon, and tried out on a kiridashi:

IMG-4624.jpg

But it wasn't to be. Here then is the final resting place for our little koppa, broken up into startlingly beautiful nagura and finger stones. Which perhaps tbh should have been its destiny all along, as it's relatively soft as seems as though it has some potential:

IMG-4628.JPG

Though the suji will certainly need careful monitoring and inspection. Here for instance is our main culprit, this is the inside of the thickest toxic line - composed almost entirely of large, scratchy, (I assume quartz/silica) crystals:

IMG-4630.jpg

---

To the other end of the spectrum then, and saying goodbye to a trusty old friend, this time to be PIF-ed on to @Tomo . The King Deluxe 1200 is one of the world's great whetstones, and I would not be letting it out of my bucket if I hadn't already bought another. You can keep the fancy Shaptons and Naniwas - the King 1.2 is better than any of them at half the price. A final edge, and maybe a little polish on this old Sab before it goes:

IMG-4625.jpg

IMG-4626.JPG

And later an experiment...

Both of these razors have good edges on them already, but I'll just make sure with a quick touchup on a Mizu Asagi. Then I'll be trying a black ark, and comparing to another stone I've had for a little while but not really used:

IMG-4623.jpg

I suspect this other stone might be an old Lydian / Lydite touchstone, though I don't know. It feels like a heavily burnished hard ark, and is probably well beyond my ability tbh. But we'll give it a go (after I lap it a bit more to try to minimise a couple of the side chips):

IMG-4618.JPG

IMG-4620.JPG

Woke up feeling determined, and wanting a challenge. Broke out one of my worst nemesis, the wedge. 2 layers of tape, 1k chosera, 2k glass stone, 6k glass stones, coticule. Tried to get picture of the finished bevel but the razor is so reflective.

Attachments

• 20220123_071656.jpg
    20220123_071656.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220123_065953.jpg
    20220123_065953.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220123_065928.jpg
    20220123_065928.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
An object lesson today in why not to buy jnats from an online vendor you don't really know just because they're pretty and cheap...

When this Shoubu Karasu Suita Koppa arrived it had a couple of very noticeably toxic suji, though I decided I couldn't bothered to return the stone, and instead learn a bit about digging them out or getting rid. And I did learn a bit, but the toxic streaks were bad, and seemed to run through the whole stone. Finally I lapped some more of it this afternoon, and tried out on a kiridashi:

View attachment 1398011

But it wasn't to be. Here then is the final resting place for our little koppa, broken up into startlingly beautiful nagura and finger stones. Which perhaps tbh should have been its destiny all along, as it's relatively soft as seems as though it has some potential:

View attachment 1398009

Though the suji will certainly need careful monitoring and inspection. Here for instance is our main culprit, this is the inside of the thickest toxic line - composed almost entirely of large, scratchy, (I assume quartz/silica) crystals:

View attachment 1398008

---

To the other end of the spectrum then, and saying goodbye to a trusty old friend, this time to be PIF-ed on to @Tomo . The King Deluxe 1200 is one of the world's great whetstones, and I would not be letting it out of my bucket if I hadn't already bought another. You can keep the fancy Shaptons and Naniwas - the King 1.2 is better than any of them at half the price. A final edge, and maybe a little polish on this old Sab before it goes:

View attachment 1398006

View attachment 1398004

TBH this is the first time I've used, let alone tried to make, fingerstones, and I think it went rather well. I got about 6 or 7 out of that chunk, plus the remaining palm size koppa / massive nagura.

Here's one side of my test knife (i.e. what it looked like before):

IMG-4632.jpg

And after a quick couple of mins with one of the new Shoubu fingerstones:

IMG-4634.jpg

Quite happy with that result, certainly has potential :). Whaddya reckon @Steve56 ...?

A nice shave off the black but I felt like I could get a bit more out of it on the trans. I find that it takes a few shave / touch up cycles to really max out an edge.

The shave was not without incident. The edge was gliding pretty easily through the whiskers but felt safe like an Ark edge does. I got a little lacks and accidentally sliced my nose at the end of one XTG stroke. It’s a pretty big target. A bit of blood but it closed up well.

28D6D2D7-E395-4C4E-8C83-DAEB8F0872AC.jpeg

Top Bottom