What's new

What did you hone today?

And this evening... 165mm Ishizuchi. SG500 again, then a few stones that aren't part of my regular setup; Morihei Binsui, Wastikivi, (different) Turkish:

IMG-2959.jpg

This Turkish stone is more notably heterogenous in use than my others, it's mostly quite fine, and for a Turkish quite slow. It is however a quite exceptionally pretty mottled grey-green colour:

IMG-2957.jpg

However for reasons outlined above - it didn't do brilliantly on bevel setting, so I went over to this one. Which is fast af, but not quite as fetching:

IMG-2958.jpg

Second Razor for today was a Heljestrand No. 10.

Set the bevel on a JNS 1k followed from JNS synthetic Aoto, Imanishi Bester 4k and 6k.

After the synthetic stones I switched to the Ozaki Awasedo and did a full Mikawa progression followed by a very hard Nakayama Tomo-Nagura.

IMG_20210926_21_k.jpg

IMG_20210926_22_k.jpg

An oil soaked pike "soft arkansas" and a tiny translucent I got a long while back. I got other stuff to hone on but I just got the Pike stone and wanted to try it out. It's kinda slow on pocket knives but lightning fast on a razor. 10 strokes and it was tree-topping another 15 on the small one(it's got teeth, far less polish I'll have to hit the black or strop a lot) and I think it's passable. Should be interesting, it's mowing down the tips of pretty long leg hairs 3/4" away from the root so it's plenty sharp.

20210926_153754.jpg

After stropping the blade was very sharp as sharp as I get off my black ark but not quite as smooth. It had a little bite it felt like at first but no cuts, no irritation, bbs on a single pass(I took my time). Superb shave. I've got a couple washitas coming in I look forward to trying a shave off of soon. Should be interesting.

After stropping the blade was very sharp as sharp as I get off my black ark but not quite as smooth. It had a little bite it felt like at first but no cuts, no irritation, bbs on a single pass(I took my time). Superb shave. I've got a couple washitas coming in I look forward to trying a shave off of soon. Should be interesting.

The Washita I have is super smooth. I should try to shave off of it.

The Washita I have is super smooth. I should try to shave off of it.
This one is a little more toothy(the stone, not the blade) than my others, it sheers off steel fast. I really like it. It's not smooth as my others but it's fast faster. It's still mind boggling to me that washitas were labeled soft arks sometimes when arkansas oilstones first came around to popularity because they were worth more. Im not sure I've seen a finishing ark I value over my Washitas, maybe for shaving, but I do a whole lot more sharpening than for just razors. I like the hard, semi translucent ones for a shave, especially considering that any of the vintage ones you get that are still flat are settled in already. I think they're great razor stones in the right hands.

Reactions: Wid
I got a new synthetic stone for the first time in a long time, Naniwa Gouken 10K, like a cheaper superstone? I previously owned a 12k superstone and sold it after I decided my shapton 12k was a better. I wasnt as experienced at honing back then and likely didnt have my razors ready for a 12k stone anyways, so the shapton really worked better for me at the time getting the razor sharper.

I have often read some people prefered shaving off the 10k SS over the 12K anyways and was curious enough to try this one out. Took a new to me beautiful Wade & Butcher from 1k 2k 5k to this 10k. It feels nice to use after lapping the surface clean, very enjoyable.

20210926_221038.jpg

Fantastic shave, 9/10, easy two passes. Not as much 'skin exfoliation-raw" post shave feeling as my shapton. Im probably a better shaver now too which helps! Honestly as good as my best made thuringian, coticule or yellowlake oilstone edges. Still not as good as a my all time favorite arkansas edges however.

Yes it is. It’s actually fast than my Washita. It’s eats the steel fast.
I believe that. Yeah it's crazy how some of those little stones are just insanely good quality. I wish i had some cheese block sized hones of the exact material of some of my tiny stones. I used my little one in the wood holder last night and it surprises me everytime I use it. A good 10 strokes on that thing and it's game time. The soft that came with it is crazy good too. I used to never use them but my daughter always brings them to me and wants me to use them because she thinks they're pretty, im glad she did. Ijust bought a leather case for the soft from dans so I can take it to work and not break it.

20210924_133809.jpg

Reactions: Wid
Been honing alot lately with this 4/8 henckles as my testing blade. It has been fun to shave with and I have been finishing it on my karasu. Mixed it up today and used my 8x2 trans ark, should be a good shave. (Also took a bunch of razors needing touch ups on a 2k-12k synthetic progression with plans to put natural edges on later).

20210927_190459.jpg

First time to try this Nakayama Tomae so thought I'd see if I could get this Rocket I received as a gift into shape for Frameback Friday :)

IMG_1675.jpeg

I'm relatively clueless with honing but consider even failure learning, so winging it I tried 4k/8k shapton glass, then mejiro, koma, and the tomo that came with the stone. After stropping HHT seemed plausible enough that I'll dare to put it to my face.

First time to try this Nakayama Tomae so thought I'd see if I could get this Rocket I received as a gift into shape for Frameback Friday :)

View attachment 1336110

I'm relatively clueless with honing but consider even failure learning, so winging it I tried 4k/8k shapton glass, then mejiro, koma, and the tomo that came with the stone. After stropping HHT seemed plausible enough that I'll dare to put it to my face.

Nice!

Vr

matt

Top Bottom