What's new

What did you hone today?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You’ll have to check how it hits the hone, but I’d start out about 4-6k and check the bevel with a loupe. If it passes visual inspection, strop it a little and see if it passes HHT everywhere along the edge. If it does, then you can add an 8-12k then JNat and you should be golden.

Reactions: JPO
I am getting my first TI today. Do these need any special threatment when new. Just use a jnat with tomo, ore does it need more work?

Congrats on the new TI! I love mine, although it isn’t the new ultra-hard carbonsong Steel. It is easy to hone, and really gets along well with my face!

As for getting a new razor, I would be just a little more aggressive than what Steve does, because I like to start off each razor from zero…at the bevel set with my Chosera 1k. Once it is good I hop to my Shapton 4k, Naniwa 8k, Naniwa 12k, and then I would hit it with the JNAT.

If you have a set of Nagura stones, I would start with the 1k, jump to the 4k, then start with the nagura stones on the JNAT using my Botan, and then moving on through the progression.

I always use the loupe after each stone just to check the apex of the edge to make sure no uneven burrs are developing, to ensure no visible micro-chipping, and to make sure the scratch patterns are uniform and being replaced at each level.

Vr

Matt

Congrats on the new TI! I love mine, although it isn’t the new ultra-hard carbonsong Steel. It is easy to hone, and really gets along well with my face!

As for getting a new razor, I would be just a little more aggressive than what Steve does, because I like to start off each razor from zero…at the bevel set with my Chosera 1k. Once it is good I hop to my Shapton 4k, Naniwa 8k, Naniwa 12k, and then I would hit it with the JNAT.

If you have a set of Nagura stones, I would start with the 1k, jump to the 4k, then start with the nagura stones on the JNAT using my Botan, and then moving on through the progression.

I always use the loupe after each stone just to check the apex of the edge to make sure no uneven burrs are developing, to ensure no visible micro-chipping, and to make sure the scratch patterns are uniform and being replaced at each level.

Vr

Matt
To late:) I used a naniwa pro 3k, coticule, Nakayama Asagi with dmt slurry then my hard Shobudani with tomo slurry. I guess i will find out tomorrow how it shaves. The blade geometry was ok, but the bevel on the heel was quite big. This steel feels a little different then my dovos. It almost reminds me of one of my CV Heljestrand.
I will try something different if it turns out to be a failure.

20210916_204401.jpg

Last edited:

Steve56

@JPO yes, TI steel is more like Swedish than German, at least in its temper. It’s said to be English steel for medical instruments (a rumor). They still supposedly have an exemption to use the lead tempering bath.

@JPO yes, TI steel is more like Swedish than German, at least in its temper. It’s said to be English steel for medical instruments (a rumor). They still supposedly have an exemption to use the lead tempering bath.
Interesting. The stones i used did not have any problems cutthing the steel.

Steve56

Lol, you’re using Shapton Glass/G7 and those stones will cut the hardest steel easily, it’s what they were designed to do.

Lol, you’re using Shapton Glass/G7 and those stones will cut the hardest steel easily, it’s what they were designed to do.
I used a Naniwa pro 3k, coticule and two jnat stones. The gs stones will be used if the edge does not perform well.

Wacker Old Sheffield, a Shobudani that was originally sold by Alex Gilmore, and a full Nagura progression. Final few laps under just water.

The HHT was perfect, and I suspect a spectacular shave will be following sometime in the next few days!

Vr

Matt

8C7C77D0-CA11-418A-B299-61D0D6AC08C4.jpeg
C28DA885-E868-4785-AAA8-2632CF3EDBBA.jpeg
38396C52-608A-4A9B-B30F-D18DF51237BD.jpeg

Playing around with some stones I don't often use, to see how they go on edges. I've set the bevels on these knives already.

From R to L: Wastikivi, Dalmore Blue, Shobudani Karasu Suita Koppa, God Feckin Knows (it's insanely hard and fine, it might be a kind of touchstone / Lydian...?)

IMG-2852.jpg

Thanks! The Wacker OS is one of my favorites, and I think this might be the nicest edge I have put on this one. We’ll see!

Vr

Matt

Reactions: JPO
Little afternoon honing session…same progression as this morning…same HHT. Great shaves on the horizon!

Of note…the gent that owned this before me really hit the heel for some reason, and so now it curves a little bit. I used what feels like a windshield wiper x-stroke…no rolling, and it catches everything beautifully!

Vr

Matt

F821EFAD-FF27-40BA-8E46-38F2DE0F7B41.jpeg
00472067-8B6A-41AF-8B67-D420FCFECC03.jpeg

Little early evening honing…Brick Kiita handled the full Nagura progression pretty well, and I was surprised that the HHT felt every bit as good as the other stone I used earlier.

These three razors were dropped back to Botan, and taken through final strokes under water. It will be interesting to see if I can feel the difference between the Shobu edges and the Kiita edge since I did the same thing with the same Naguras, and all three HHTs were like dropping a hair on a laser beam.

Vr

Matt
3D60D4C9-BE1C-4E7D-B8F5-516802F9E96A.jpeg
0BEAE29A-6A21-4B3D-9D0B-B6F7F80C4019.jpeg
71FBD08B-0E21-42A2-B99D-3B5B8060134F.gif

Today it was Wapi time. Had some trouble with the edge being a bit on the crumbly side. Couldn’t get the bevel set after a time or two on the 1K. Did two different bread knives on the blue side of the coti. The second time the bevel stuck. Was afraid I was fighting a loosing cause for a while.

Once good steel was found the rest honed up nice on the coticule. Did a slurry dilution then to water for a couple of sessions. Got good HHT off the stone. Still have to strop before the shave. We shall see
CBD2EF0B-CF7C-44A4-BC8D-9904C50CC44E.jpeg

Love that ol frame back

Thanks…pretty neat design with the WB faux frameback razors. They essentially took a full wedge, put the top on, and it fixed the issues usually associated with honing a wedge. This one shaves nicely as well! Have a great rest of the weekend!

Vr

Matt

Reactions: Wid
This is the second straight razor I purchased, a pre-1870 Wade and Butcher. I have now had this one longest, since I didn’t care for the first one I purchased.

The blade had to have been reground, because the bevel near the edge is very thin and it’s quite perfect. Plus…check out the grind!

I honed it this afternoon using a full Nagura progression to a Nakayama Tomo on this no name no pedigree JNAT. The base hone was an amazing purchase off of eBay, and I really enjoy it!

I was also very pleased with the HHT, and am using this razor next!

Vr

Matt
DFEBC7D7-6E3B-4876-BD27-9F3F42BD5A69.jpeg
C3281508-99AC-4B8A-AD13-D4488EDFFE68.jpeg
72F759A1-7492-49FB-A17B-48EDEF40CC14.jpeg

Top Bottom