What's new

What did you hone today?

Kron Vest Gran Mogol Triple Medalla 14 finished on the new to me Kiita. I liked the shave off it using my test razor…so tomorrow I will see how it did with a razor I truly enjoy!

BA1507F7-7672-4C6F-83B3-975263E4E7C4.jpeg
B1343B40-8CAB-483C-9C49-CD7A181C9FC7.jpeg
1CB23488-D2EE-4699-B331-C16BC3905534.jpeg
62181AD2-3E5E-4ECD-92F6-2EC0AF845B64.jpeg

A kind of experimentation shortcut. I honed my newly restored SK3 with minimal progression. In fact the core hone was made on the va very big Aoto awesado (the left one). The Aoto Tamba (in the midle) was used for setting the bevel only. While the Misu Asagi (the right one) was just for the final perfection touch. I could have introduced some naguras to extend the progression but I intentionally wanted to see if that might be sufficient. Today shaving proved success.
proxy.php

This dark gray smoky Shobudani JNAT arrived the same day as the Brick Kiita, so I had not had a chance to fool with it.

I figured I would today, and I have to be honest…this is a fabulous rock! It is hard, silky smooth/fine, has that beautiful ring, and that certain je ne sais quoi!

I took The Bull to it, and the HHT was exactly what one would hope for in all their edges!

I am putting this in line over the Shavesmith I sharpened last night. I am a bit excited for the next shave, because i REALLY want to try this edge!

Vr

Matt
BD3094DF-1672-40A8-97AE-3C637B436B87.jpeg
AED99EE5-B997-48C1-9276-23B6C83C6B94.jpeg

Nice, how many laps and did you use oil/ water [emoji97]
[emoji4]
I like to use Speick cream and water on the Arks. It feels smoother and faster than oil. I don’t count but maybe 50 laps on the matt side and 50 laps on the burnished side.

I might be dialing into a three stone (Ozuku Nagura included) system here!

Brick Kiita to get everything just about perfect, and the Shobudani w/Ozuku Tomo to take it home!

The HHT on this Thiers Issard was screaming…just like yesterday’s with The Bull razor. I will do the shave test tomorrow evening.

Vr

Matt

BB80E5FF-0B49-4142-A820-18B507090276.jpeg
5C7F4E79-B63D-4494-8863-C9B6FD5F06F5.jpeg
E9252006-3C48-4DAD-91DE-E9A5C9142E9E.jpeg

Brick Kiita to get everything just about perfect, and the Shobudani w/Ozuku Tomo to take it home!

The HHT on this Thiers Issard was screaming…just like yesterday’s with The Bull razor. I will do the shave test tomorrow evening.

Vr

Matt

View attachment 1328245View attachment 1328248View attachment 1328249

You are the man! I’m loving my Diamond paste edges my friend. Super fun!

Some work on an old Sab that belonged to my wife's grandmother this evening. And it was a reminder about the differences between this kind of soft old steel, and the Hitatchi steels I normally sharpen and use...

The majority was thinning, done on the stone on the right, one of the world's greatest (the greatest?) whetstones - Norton SiC Coarse and Fine KS100.

After that I moved to the Cretan stone next to it, which is almost too fast and aggressive for steels like this. I think probably something to do with the size of the carbides, but it's very difficult to work it finely. Washitas are the same.

I then tried to refine it out on a small TO'S and 'The Celebrated Tam O'Shanter Honing Rod'. People call this technique a 'hybrid edge' - a big grit jump to put on a fine finish while trying to maintain the teeth of a coarse stone. It can work very well on posher Japanese steels... but didn't here.

The final stone (on the left) is an Idwal, which has left the edge in very good shape, without at any point actually raising a burr.

This was a slightly peculiar sharpening experience, but long story short - I either needed an extra step or two between the Norton and the Cretan, or just to finish it at a lower grit altogether. TBH there's not a massive amount of point in taking this kind of thing much past 1000 anyway, and I'll remember that in the future!

IMG-2808.jpg

This 150mm Ishizuchi is the only new knife, of any quality, where I've put the road / main bevel on a stone and found it to be completely perfect, with no low spots or inconsistencies whatsoever. I was amazed. To celebrate it's getting a full progression later; King 800, King 1200, Tanaka Aoto, Hon-Iyo, Maruoyama Shiro Suita, and then an edge from my new coti up top.

IMG_E2817[1].JPG

It also has a *sweet* rh grind. I might keep this one for me tbh!

IMG_E2816[1].JPG

Vr

Matt

View attachment 1328245View attachment 1328248View attachment 1328249
I am getting my first TI today. Do these need any special threatment when new. Just use a jnat with tomo, ore does it need more work?

Top Bottom