What's new

What did you hone today?

Dream Team... old Tanaka Aoto + Maruoyama Shiro Suita.

(With apologies for the crappy indoors nighttime pictures.)

IMG-2655.jpg

IMG-2656.jpg

I only have 5 JNATs on hand, not counting my nagura, so I am no expert.

However, I have this gray one that the owner of JNS sold to a gentleman in Florida as a “finisher.” It has scrapped sides, so I assume it is old since a circular saw wasn’t used to cut it. The stone isn’t the hardest, but it is the most fine, and silky smooth one I own.

I was extremely happy with the final edge that it put on my new Guillermo Hoppe 14…keen and extremely smooth! However, today I just had the urge to play around, so I generated a slurry on my kiita, and then sprayed it onto the gray base stone. I did a few iterations of this just for fun.

Based off of the bevel near the edge under the loupe and the HHT…I am in for a treat. All signs are good, and the shave will tell the tale!

Does anyone else put pure Kiita slurry onto a different stone before finishing?

Vr

Matt

Dry:
107FC446-DDA0-4839-AF04-F6D5F7A4CE1D.jpeg

Slurry on gray stone:
89174292-BF53-42B8-B8B8-F84BE113354A.jpeg

HHT:
90783A8F-F35A-473E-9693-1E86FB255310.jpeg

Tonight it was a Dorko 42 quarter hollow. The bevel was a tad challenging, had to straighten out the heel a bit. Did the bevel on a Chosera 1K then did a full dilution on a vintage coti. Used a bit of pressure to begin with and was surprised I had raised a burr on the edge. A few lighter strokes and the burr was gone.From there it was mostly half strokes and circles till the final with just water. Did 100 passes then 25 under running water.

1AA227BC-3BB7-4743-8E23-0076E3AD1B93.jpeg

Tonight it was a Dorko 42 quarter hollow. The bevel was a tad challenging, had to straighten out the heel a bit. Did the bevel on a Chosera 1K then did a full dilution on a vintage coti. Used a bit of pressure to begin with and was surprised I had raised a burr on the edge. A few lighter strokes and the burr was gone.From there it was mostly half strokes and circles till the final with just water. Did 100 passes then 25 under running water.

View attachment 1325092
You really seem to have figured out these coticules. You should do a write up, or a video:)
I know they are all different, but there is probably something they have in common. I have three. One of them is on knife duty in the kitchen, but he is missing the razors:) He is not behaving nicely with the razors.

Reactions: Wid
You really seem to have figured out these coticules. You should do a write up, or a video:)
I know they are all different, but there is probably something they have in common. I have three. One of them is on knife duty in the kitchen, but he is missing the razors:) He is not behaving nicely with the razors.

I don't consider myself good enough for that. A lot of folks here and elsewhere know a lot more than I ever will.

Reactions: JPO
I don't consider myself good enough for that. A lot of folks here and elsewhere know a lot more than I ever will.
Thank you.
Does it make sense to use them in a progression if you have more then one. I have one that is really fast, but does not finish well and one la grosse jaune that is really slow, but finishes well. Then i have a LV that falls somewhere in the middle, but can also finish well (a little to soft for finishing i feel)

I have a thin one that I use for progression when I am bored. It is roughly 7 inches long I believe but goes from like 1 inch to .5 inches? I use slurry and go to water and it makes a good pre finisher (with oil I get a decent edge). I recently honed a 4/8 german razor on it and followed with a thuri bout for a nice edge. I also have a very nice 5"x2" coti that I only finish on (running water or oil works).

I think it is important to find out what your coticule is good at and use it for that. I feel like a lot of people buy a coticule with the intent of it being their finisher and they get a stone that is a pre finisher.

Looks like a lot of nice finishers are coming out of the mine now but for awhile I felt like the new stones were better fits as progressing/pre finisher stones.

Thank you.
Does it make sense to use them in a progression if you have more then one. I have one that is really fast, but does not finish well and one la grosse jaune that is really slow, but finishes well. Then i have a LV that falls somewhere in the middle, but can also finish well (a little to soft for finishing i feel)

I had a veinette a few years back. It was a great all around stone, fast on slurry and a good finisher on plain water. The one vintage I have now I do believe to be a veinette,looks and behaves just like my other one I had. I see nothing wrong using them in a progression if one seems finer than another
image.jpg

I do not like this razor, and so I have relegated it to being my test razor. If I get a very nice edge, and a great shave…I know I am onto something!

So I broke it out tonight to re-finish it on the newly arrived Brick.

The Brick is a harder Kiita, apparently a pretty fast cutter, and it is extremely fine. The initial impression is very good, and I will refinish a razor that I really like on Sunday to give it another whirl.

I used a plate to generate the initial slurry.
ABD07957-0D1C-47EE-8B56-466E32B439B7.jpeg

Darkened slurry.
131FC065-46B1-4F05-9F16-705744C92034.jpeg

I did another slurry, and finished with 20 very light laps under just water.

The bevel near the edge which was initially cloudy, was a crisp mirror after the water only laps, and the HHT was a breeze.

1DEC884F-CEE3-4768-B349-4DE553294549.jpeg

The resultant shave was great, and I am very pleased with The Brick!

Vr

Matt

Am I reading that right? Your "test razor" is a Brian Brown? What happened to FleaBay beaters...?

Nice stone BTW...

Thanks! Based off of the initial go, it’s certainly a keeper! I suspect when I finish the next razor on it, I am going to be very very pleased and excited!

Yes…this Brian Brown is my test razor. The razor and I didn’t connect.

Vr

Matt

Made quite a smart new handle for my Kippington using some lovely, very old Western Myall. Then gave a sharpen on a Lily White.

IMG-2698 (1).jpg

IMG-2697 (1).jpg

IMG-2701.jpg

And to prove what I said elsewhere - that I could happily get HHT 4 on a kitchen knife using this stone - here ya go...

5A97B3CE-4CF4-450C-A39E-7D0F11EC5E8B.jpeg

I finished her up on an Escher and then did a full Diamond paste progression on balsa. I did 65 laps on 1 micron-0.1 micron. She is super sharp!

I do not like this razor, and so I have relegated it to being my test razor. If I get a very nice edge, and a great shave…I know I am onto something!

So I broke it out tonight to re-finish it on the newly arrived Brick.

The Brick is a harder Kiita, apparently a pretty fast cutter, and it is extremely fine. The initial impression is very good, and I will refinish a razor that I really like on Sunday to give it another whirl.

I used a plate to generate the initial slurry.
View attachment 1326237

Darkened slurry.
View attachment 1326240

I did another slurry, and finished with 20 very light laps under just water.

The bevel near the edge which was initially cloudy, was a crisp mirror after the water only laps, and the HHT was a breeze.

View attachment 1326241

The resultant shave was great, and I am very pleased with The Brick!

Vr

Matt

You hound dog! Great work Matt!

Top Bottom