What's new

What did you hone today?

Legion

Staff member
Touched up a Bengall as my first try with a J-nat

D0FE1B70-B5EB-450D-A252-E52107032880.jpeg

I liked the shave I got with this razor off of the JNAT progression I did yesterday, I decided to throw a paper towel down on the table, and try “finishing” it on this old thing.

It might become the final step beyond a Tomo Nagura on the hard/fine JNAT base stone…the bevel near the edge looks pristine (as it did yesterday), but it now has a more clear mirror finish.

The HHT was done with two hairs that were decidedly more fine, and it felt better to me. The shave in two or three days will tell the tale!

I hope that everyone is having a nice weekend!

Vr

Matt
501E7704-F9CE-47C0-A855-34A5EE970376.jpeg
BBEF0982-35CB-470C-ADB9-679D4929C9D7.jpeg
D28FED77-1BEB-4D63-9B94-5DE5457D44FB.jpeg

This LeGrelot has been a pain to hone. Ended up trying it on the 1.5”x15” mystery stone to touch it up to refine the edge more. So far the best I’ve got on this razor.
627546BD-C2EA-4253-90BF-EFB773621668.jpeg

What has the issue been? Super hard steel? Warp?

Just curious!

Vr

Matt

The steel is a little harder but nothing to bad. The grind seems to be uneven. The edge is larger on each end than in the middle. not quite a frown. So I ended up trying it like a smiling blade. Seems to have worked.

Honed up a Mituon 800 Japanese steel razor.

Chosera 1K to Coe Bethesda Black to a Coe Dota Creek then finished it on my own stone. Used Dans honing oil through out. Resulting HHT was excellent.
63124E16-38EA-4C6F-B5CD-81DBCC03C656.jpeg
A48A0610-A58A-4F55-8560-998204BFE928.jpeg

3A2A05AF-136F-4B12-B56C-8F38AAB5DC0A.jpeg
12DD3E38-0BB4-423E-B6D0-F95332C3922B.jpeg

Touch up on my Ozuku Lv 5 with Tenjou, Mejiro, and Aiiwatani tomo. I did each progression for 5-8 minutes until tad stiction at the end of each progression. It seems keen.

The razor is a 5/8 Solingen steel. Cute thing.

Reactions: Wid
Re-finished the Fritz Bracht on an Escher Barbers Gem, and used a Thuringia Yellow-Green rub stone. I did three slurries, and then finished under running water. I think I will test shave in a little bit, after I beat my son in gin!

Vr

Matt

B9C04760-B34C-4378-99B3-FA737E88C66B.jpeg

Re-finished the Fritz Bracht on an Escher Barbers Gem, and used a Thuringia Yellow-Green rub stone. I did three slurries, and then finished under running water. I think I will test shave in a little bit, after I beat my son in gin!

Vr

Matt

View attachment 1302990

Nice, both stones nice,, are stones separate producing similar edges??

Have you tried diamond plate slurry only each stone

Been using water only on my black molted escher but i did also try la lune rub stone on escher, but no juice only la lune slurry,,,,,but it worked but on my escher appears water only is trick
Thx [emoji3]

Nice, both stones nice,, are stones separate producing similar edges??

Have you tried diamond plate slurry only each stone

Been using water only on my black molted escher but i did also try la lune rub stone on escher, but no juice only la lune slurry,,,,,but it worked but on my escher appears water only is trick
Thx [emoji3]

so the one on the right is the Escher Barbers Gem, and I use the yellow-green Thuringian on the left as the rub stone. The YG is large enough to finish on, and they both produce a similar edge.

The Barbers Gem just has a little more real estate, which makes it nice to hone upon.

I have used a Diamond Plate to slurry the Barbers Gem, and it works just fine. However, I prefer the YG rub stone. I feel like it produces a slurry that is slightly more fine, and it is more rock friendly to its brother.

I usually finish with just a whisp of slurry which seems to make the edge slightly more smooth or on straight water, which seems to make the edge slightly sharper…can’t go wrong with either!

Vr

Matt

so the one on the right is the Escher Barbers Gem, and I use the yellow-green Thuringian on the left as the rub stone. The YG is large enough to finish on, and they both produce a similar edge.

The Barbers Gem just has a little more real estate, which makes it nice to hone upon.

I have used a Diamond Plate to slurry the Barbers Gem, and it works just fine. However, I prefer the YG rub stone. I feel like it produces a slurry that is slightly more fine, and it is more rock friendly to its brother.

I usually finish with just a whisp of slurry which seems to make the edge slightly more smooth or on straight water, which seems to make the edge slightly sharper…can’t go wrong with either!

Vr

Matt

Awesome both stones, appreciate taking time out update, amazing stones you have
[emoji3][emoji184]

Wellington 3/4 square toe started on a small coticule bout and finish one a welsh slate with water(first time trying this stone) and it went amazingly. Finish was pretty fast on the slate and blade was sharp. I could push that pretty far if i had gone on to a translucent for half an hour.

Last night was meant to be a quick touch up of my Iwasaki on a hard Ozuku Jnat. Instead it turned into an extended honing session after my first three efforts took the blade backwards to the point of not even achieving a HHT.

As is often the case you learn more from defeat than success. After all else failed I followed the instructions and treated the Jnat like a Jnat with a Tomo Slurry to water and no soap. I learned to following things.

1. My complimentary Tomo Nagara supplied with the stone is a ***. Muc better to use a 1200 Atoma diamond Nagara.
2. Slurries work better without a buffer. No more soap or lather on the Jnat.
3. A freshly lapped stone with a fresh surface is often more effective than an old worn surface.
4. When using slurry, make sure to keep it wet. Don’t let the slurry dry out.

Great shave today but I am still learning to use this stone. Each of my stones requires a different approach.

Geo. Wostenholm & Son Pipe Razor
This one comes etched with a short novel.
E2E81E71-6E82-4113-808C-76A4C91AEA84.jpeg

A5DC91E8-1156-4A2C-B10A-A7F70EE1F3CF.jpeg

I want to know the story behind this razor but I never will.

>Scales don't match. Somebody liked it well enough to do the repair. Why didn't they do a good job?
>Hone wear of course, but not a great deal and very even. No trace of the toe being excessively honed. Edge maintenance by a pro.
>It came out of the store with lots of patina, but an even bevel and edge that could cut a hanging hair with a careful effort. When was it last honed and used?

Today's honing went quickly.
50 laps Naniwa 8k S2 Superstone
50 laps Naniwa 12k S2 Superstone
It felt good coming off the hones. 50 laps was more than was needed.

60 laps .5u/50k diamond pasted balsa strop
60 laps .25u/100k diamond pasted balsa strop
60 laps .1u/200k diamond pasted balsa strop
This blade is flat. Unlike my wild warped Wostenholm IXL that I need to decode before I attempt honing again.

About 40 laps total of linen and roughout horsehide.

How can that be all this razor needed? It passed the HHT with top marks and delivered a shave that was close and extremely comfortable. This is the easiest wild razor I have ever brought into the rotation.

I am holding off on any restoration. I even put the price sticker back on, straightening it a bit. I don't want to mess with this razor's strange mojo.

Attachments

• 6371C0BC-E46D-4A34-90A8-141498316BCF.jpeg
    6371C0BC-E46D-4A34-90A8-141498316BCF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Bit of a session today, 3 razors through a shapton pro progression and finished on 3 of my favourites.

First edge Ive put on the W&B FBU since I bought it over a year ago, opted for no tape in the end, bevel was already as good as set and I started on the 5K shapton, 8k and 12k to follow and finished on the jnat with Misty slurry.
Misplaced my tomo so atoma slurry had to do, but a terrific shave was had this evening, a little awkward for moustache shaving though 😂

Puma had the full synth treatment and finished on a super hard green hybrid coti, and the Bismarck was finished on one of my favourite coti bouts, a really pure and hard stone.
Yet to shave test these two but hht/ treetopping results were promising, Beginning to realise I have too many razors now, or maybe I need to shave more often!
2AB0EF16-FAC8-4F15-92BE-B6092F09E6EC.jpeg
9711D056-585F-483E-A3B8-FBE5E8ACDC04.jpeg
3331B946-6370-4F4B-B01D-E968DA1E72CC.jpeg
868D4649-F742-4953-B430-398F1DEBF61F.jpeg

Top Bottom