What's new

What did you hone today?

Specially when you find those real gems I know the exact same feeling. Just in awe, speechless.

What a great feeling it is!

Enjoy!

Gold mine find, think was 60-80 bucks,,, to me it is priceless but with minimal clean up and review , razor blade was flawless little to no ware,,,,
No rust just some minor pitting
I snagged it as soon as saw it but what attracted me was the scales,,, they look like tortious, ( i can dream),,[emoji3]

Appears also only half hollow in line up [emoji3595]
The scales keep changing color and they have weight, not a wood feel, not a plastic feel but different
Bakalite, excuss spelling
This grind is amazing,,, my fav part is the neck area,, thick, leading to blade
Flawless shaver but demands respect and attention
Swedish steel loves and easy to hone, but no need to hone as edge retention is ridiculous long,
Smooth sharp surgical instrument / pic2,,,comparison mk31, neck area and different hollow grind
proxy.php

proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s a cloudy showery day here, so I got out my old Wosty frameback and one of Alex Gilmore’s hoard kiita/iro koppas and did some honing. It’s from my trip to Sonoma last year. This one is soft and fine, and benefits from a few clear water strokes hand held. It performed just like it did in Sonoma when I tested it, silent HHT in or out. The tomo is hard so the slurry was almost all base stone.

C3AFA47E-2B58-4CBA-A591-3C2652D9512F.jpeg

Bit of a play around today with some big natural stones, had a couple of micro chips at the heel and toe to take out.
Lily white washita, full dilucot on the coti with a fast / fine slurry stone and finished on a nice green thuri

Surprised by the bevel left by the LWW, had to taper off pressure but the end result was very clean and consistent. I won’t be throwing out the shapton pros but as a natural bevel setter it worked well.
C0C7454E-07BA-4692-9B0F-B44BE73A99B2.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a cloudy showery day here, so I got out my old Wosty frameback and one of Alex Gilmore’s hoard kiita/iro koppas and did some honing. It’s from my trip to Sonoma last year. This one is soft and fine, and benefits from a few clear water strokes hand held. It performed just like it did in Sonoma when I tested it, silent HHT in or out. The tomo is hard so the slurry was almost all base stone.

View attachment 1298710

I had my hoard stone out for a play today too! also a softer stone, relatively quick considering how fine it is and kicks up a killer edge with plain water to finish.
Wish I had a nice tomo like that to go with it though.

Does yours get very grippy / a lot of stiction with just water ? I would normally add soap but the stone is rather porous so I just have to be careful with my strokes.

643B2556-603E-4877-878D-2B0ECAC69C2A.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
No @RobbyC mine doesn’t get much stiction, but by the time I’m on clear water I’m using such light pressure I really wouldn’t expect much. That one above is a polisher for sure, very bright bevel.

Showers and T-storms headed this way and it’s thundering, so why stop honing? This odd JWest is a ‘Nelson’ razor, ‘For Barber’s Use’, and is made of ‘Nelson Steel’ which AFAIK doesn’t exist. One hint is that it had a Schöeller-Bleckman sticker on it so it’s probably Fenix Steel, or Böhler steel. It’s NOS and I got it for peanuts because it has a tiny crack way up on the end of the heel, what would be called the choil if it were a knife. I figured I could use it as a travel or test razor, and it’s quite good. You’d have to wear it down to 4/8 or less to get to the crack so the crack is really irrelevant except for reducing value.

I thought this razor was probably an anomaly, but apparently it isn’t. The eBay seller April7th1987 or whatever had the same razor, with the same crack in the same place except his was worse. I didn’t go for the pair!

The hone is another Alex Gilmore hoard kiita from last year’s visit, this one is pure kiita yellow - I call it the butterstick kiita for obvious reasons. There’s no goma, no nashiji, no cracks, no lines, no nothing, just pure yellow except for a little yake at the skin end. The tomo was the same hard tomo as before, and I finished on thin slurry then clear water strokes at the faucet.

Those of you that have the hoard stones, one thing that I’ve noticed is that under some kinds of light they look rather dull, but say in soft afternoon light they’re almost fluorescent, they’ll burn your eye out kid! (Apologies to Ralphie - A Christmas Story). I’ve learned when to photograph them.

Maybe I’ll do a comparison tomorrow.

F18369F1-30B5-4F1B-9054-B5B0AF31AB9F.jpeg

Went back a set the bevel on the new LeGrelot. Didn’t really care for the edge that it came with and just putting it on a higher stone did improve it a tad but still wasn’t what I was looking for.

Went from the Chosera 1K to a Coe Bethesda Black to a Coe Dota Creek then on to a Dans Black. Much better edge.

531B2DDE-A711-456C-BAEA-FE12715093DC.jpeg

Fili EPBD 14. Got the razor a while ago but it was tugging. 1 layer of tape then this very very hard Jnat with koma followed by beat up 1200 Atoma slurry. Finished on somewhat diluted slurry.
The jnat surprised me how hard it is. Very very fine, test razor under the scope looked great and the fili took an amazing edge.

fullsizeoutput_2144.jpeg

Fili EPBD 14. Got the razor a while ago but it was tugging. 1 layer of tape then this very very hard Jnat with koma followed by beat up 1200 Atoma slurry. Finished on somewhat diluted slurry.
The jnat surprised me how hard it is. Very very fine, test razor under the scope looked great and the fili took an amazing edge.

View attachment 1301071

Awesome razor, what stone is that,, nice[emoji3]

This stone is another no name and no pedigree JNAT…it’s old though…scratches on the side, instead of circular saw marks.

It isn’t super hard, and I thought it might be too soft for the full Nagura progression…some of the base stone may have kicked up in the slurries, but the stone wasn’t getting scratched. I think it worked out alright! The bevel near the edge is pristine, and the HHT was great!

Tomorrow will be a week since my last shave, and I am looking forward to it!

Vr

Matt

F23D6A16-343B-4361-BC02-4314137C3B27.jpeg
34BB5194-03E0-4B04-AC9A-A7567C4989FE.jpeg
95C62FEA-267A-4F22-B813-2CAD6FAB63E4.jpeg

Top Bottom