What's new

What did you hone today?

Setting the bevel on a newly acquired Wapienica…wow!!! Really had to crank it on a DMT progression and lose a healthy amount of steel off the spine before things straightened out. Went from 600 to 1200 to 8000 and finished on a Vermont green slate (about 10-12 k I am told). Hopefully it’ll shine tomorrow morning.
View attachment 1265243

I have one of those Vermont green slates as well, I really like it it’s super easy to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice razor. What is the trick to get the most out of these hart razors. I have two 7/8", and only one i can get a comfortable edge on. I get the best result using Jnat, but really inconsistent. They hold the edge really well, but as i like the crisp of the stone feel, i don't like edges that have been used for months. I also enjoy honing, but this one have been a challenge.

im not sure that there was a trick with this one. maybe a little lucky that it is a Bruce Gregory......but can't honestly vouch for that either.

it should be noted that I notoriously touch up all my razors often because I (1) like playing with stones and (2) like fresh feeling edges.

camo

Testing 2 rocks, left - kiita iromono, hard stone, right - kiita that is softer than the left one. The left stone cuts really well but it seems the right one polishes better and is finer under the scope. So I thought why not use the softer one as a slurry stone since it's so fine.

Dorko touched first on left stone with DN slurry then went to slurry raised with the right stone. Finished on somewhat diluted slurry. Result - Silent HHT and the shave yesterday was perfect. What's better than a kiita? 2 kiitas.

fullsizeoutput_20f7.jpeg

TI 6/8 half hollow on Naniwa 12k.

I think that I am finally beginning to crack the DNA of the C135. After a couple of less than successful attempts, I whipped out my Naniwa 12k to get a bigger runway and really worked the edge - circles, sideways, back and forth, using the index finger of my second hand to ensure that the edge made good contact, and finally produced some swarf from the C135. After 50 laps on leather, the edge passed HHT with a satisfying zing. I then used the razor for just the right side of my mouth and chin during today’s shave and the results were very satisfying - plenty sharp and smooth.

It seems as if you just have to really work the C135!

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C60967FD-BC97-4696-A5D7-8C3470E33FE0.jpeg
6/8 Geneva was tuggy. I decided to give mineral oil a test on my coti. I spent 10 minutes on the stone performing slow X strokes. After stropping, this edge seems keen. Curious how the shave goes tomorrow. I’m still trying to figure out this coti.

SCARGILL finished on a no name JNAT that I am on the cusp of calling my best finishing stone.

I found the finest hair I could for the HHT, and it didn’t matter...root in...root out...like touching the hair to an extremely thin laser.

The shave was amazing!

Vr

Matt
642B9109-FA9E-4203-9523-F21E6088FEE0.jpeg
D70164BA-7310-40CD-809A-EBE71EA10612.jpeg

SCARGILL finished on a no name JNAT that I am on the cusp of calling my best finishing stone.

I found the finest hair I could for the HHT, and it didn’t matter...root in...root out...like touching the hair to an extremely thin laser.

The shave was amazing!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1273382View attachment 1273383

Wow, that bevel is awesome. Curious what that stone is. Did you use slurry? How long did you spend on the stone to get this edge?

Wow, that bevel is awesome. Curious what that stone is. Did you use slurry? How long did you spend on the stone to get this edge?

Hi Kirk, and thanks! The main work was done on synthetics, and this razor had a Jasper edge with one or two shaves on it. So I didn’t need to spend much time on the JNAT.

I used a heavier slurry, a mid slurry, a light slurry, and then I finished under a very slight stream of just water at the sink. It came out with a killer edge that is almost as smooth as it is sharp!

Have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

C791B5F4-C544-44B8-8356-C6BDF7EBEB45.jpeg
5/8 full hollow on an ancient ocean jasper with dish soap. I worked the soap for 7 minutes and finished on running water. 5 laps and extreme stiction.

Honed this 15/16 W&B FBU on the Les Lat. Spent a good amount of time on soapy water.
Got a nice HHT off the hone. Stropped on linen/Shell Cordovan and it gave me a nice BBS shave.

Attachments

• 7CE3AEAC-BEF6-4686-9726-9AEE98EE4F8A_1_201_a.jpeg
    7CE3AEAC-BEF6-4686-9726-9AEE98EE4F8A_1_201_a.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 32
Top Bottom