What's new

What did you hone today?

Today was a Tale of Two Razors.
A Heljestrand MK 31 obtained via BTS and a Joseph Elliot Feather Weight from eBay. The Heljestrand was in great shape and quite straight forward. The Elliot was another story. The back half of the edge came in reasonably quickly but the front end had some corrosion making the edge look like Swiss cheese as well as a warp that meant that the hone couldn’t get at the corrosion. Eventually I had to drop all the way down to my Shapton 320. I stepped away for a few hours when my patience wore thin and even on the 2nd try I still didn’t get the toe completely clean. But I figure I can take it for a spin to see how much I notice the issues at the toe.

2AFB94C2-8492-4406-803A-B9CF9A2A9BDC.jpeg

Shobu Mizu Asagi Tamamoku
TI touch up

Stone slurry only, deep aqua blueish green slurry
Touch up 10 minutes various strokes then strop then repeat, more fresh new slurry slowly diluted to water only

Rinse stone total water only to finish
Stone is a magician with various levels of color and is a flat baby smooth surface that sings high pitch when nearly dry, stone easily tells you when more water is needed, stone has levels layers of various colors of hard fine grit ingredients

Atoma is being worn down by this stone, hard stone

Touch up TI razor that was shaving ok, but now using stone slurry only, edge is now marvelous

This stone created a butter smooth but extremely sharp edge
I probably did 15 minutes water only rising stone every 5 laps, then very slow laps water only,
Result samurai level shave edge , no irritation just bbs
Learning this stone but and it’s bluish aquaness

She is more than looks but is a performance monster
Fast and med slow when needed , slurry dependent
Amazing result stone slurry only
Considering trying to shave straight off stone instead of stropping 50 on leather
Thoughts?
proxy.php

proxy.php

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Is that a Vos stone?

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. Took a family portrait outside in the sun. I don’t feel it a Vos that is to the left. It feels and acts more like the Charnley that’s to the right but the color, to me, does not say Charn. IMO it’s not a slate, but a hard Novaculite type stone. It has a SG of 2.78 which is a bit high for Novaculite so it remains a mystery

E7FAC638-1244-4CA3-9FE0-73EAF4D28B0E.jpeg

Took the Kama 23 back to the Les Lateneuses. It just hasn't really ever gotten to where I want it to be. 18th time is the charm...

... I hope. I realized I'm in the FFFMM which means I can't test it. That @Cal is a real stickler and I fear a "shave test" would count as shaving with an undeclared razor. Guess I'll find out how I did in April.

• Haha
Reactions: Cal
Shaptons , shazaam,,[emoji184][emoji184][emoji184][emoji184]

Did not need to hone but could not resist trying, learning

Would I screw up my TI razor , I figured if I did could send it out for a professional
Oh well here goes as I want to learn to be able to hone correctly myself

Ok , first I killed the edge, by gently slicing blade until no longer cutting

First use shapton glass 2000

Went slow ensuring whole blade on stone, after 10 minutes I check edge visually, seems toe area not same as other parts, did not cut tomatoe good
Started to get worried, what have I done[emoji23]
Lapped 2 k stone, did not think needed lap as was brand new, after lapping went back to 2 k, whole new ballgame, another 4-6 minutes and shazaam, sharp uniform patterns across edge and dye to swart on stone , new stone was cutting and I had a good edge after 2k,, success

Then up next 6khr,, wow totally new experience
Lapped 6k , and used slurry from stone and wow
Felt and looked like I was on a extremely hard shobu mizu Jnat, keep reminding myself not a Jnat but a 6k shapton ( what is this madness),the 6k looks like my same color feel and slurry that my shobu mizu produces including swarth

Ok after 6 k, I used some extremely rare lapping film
0.3, micron, few strokes across palm of my hand and shazaam
No other stopping
Shave was marvelous and sharpest shave to date while extremely smoother
Wow what a shave and I created my own edge after I killed the factory edge ( success)
I learned a lot, but succeeded in not ruining my razor and obtained a excellent edge
I feel the 6k hr is a syntectic shubu mizu asagi stone
Cheers

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Shaptons , shazaam,,[emoji184][emoji184][emoji184][emoji184]

Did not need to hone but could not resist trying, learning

Would I screw up my TI razor , I figured if I did could send it out for a professional
Oh well here goes as I want to learn to be able to hone correctly myself

Ok , first I killed the edge, by gently slicing blade until no longer cutting

First use shapton glass 2000

Went slow ensuring whole blade on stone, after 10 minutes I check edge visually, seems toe area not same as other parts, did not cut tomatoe good
Started to get worried, what have I done[emoji23]
Lapped 2 k stone, did not think needed lap as was brand new, after lapping went back to 2 k, whole new ballgame, another 4-6 minutes and shazaam, sharp uniform patterns across edge and dye to swart on stone , new stone was cutting and I had a good edge after 2k,, success

Then up next 6khr,, wow totally new experience
Lapped 6k , and used slurry from stone and wow
Felt and looked like I was on a extremely hard shobu mizu Jnat, keep reminding myself not a Jnat but a 6k shapton ( what is this madness),the 6k looks like my same color feel and slurry that my shobu mizu produces including swarth

Ok after 6 k, I used some extremely rare lapping film
0.3, micron, few strokes across palm of my hand and shazaam
No other stopping
Shave was marvelous and sharpest shave to date while extremely smoother
Wow what a shave and I created my own edge after I killed the factory edge ( success)
I learned a lot, but succeeded in not ruining my razor and obtained a excellent edge
I feel the 6k hr is a syntectic shubu mizu asagi stone
Cheers

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Correction, Shapton Glass 6k, HC

Thx Tom. Yes that's the one. Chunk of a rock. I sealed the sides and since then it has been sitting upstairs in the office. Time to put it to work, it's definitely a pleasure to hone on.

0C11B317-D4B3-4DBB-8DC4-FBCFA4827C21.jpeg

Finally built up the courage to fire up this lovely old quarter hollow Heljestrand that’s been sat in the too good to use pile. Went with the films as they cut a bit slower than the Shapton glass stones. I wanted to be as gentle as possible on the old girl. She didn’t need much encouragement. I resisted the temptation to straighten the smile. The edge seems to follow the contour of the spine so it looks like this was intended. It took two runs to get the whole edge singing but it looks good now. I’m starting to get the hang of honing a smile now.

Drew blood before the first shave! Oops...

Attachments

• B48A5919-7121-4A47-93D7-847F9993B0A3.jpeg
    B48A5919-7121-4A47-93D7-847F9993B0A3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Honed 2 recent acquisitions this week.
Cattaraugus Cutlery - This is supposedly a circa 1900 razor from the founding razor company of Little Valley NY, which later gave rise to KA-BAR and Case. This probably was a 6/8” 1/2 hollow once but is closer to 11/16” now. Normally I skip tape but I wanted to preserve the patina, and the bevel angle was 16 degrees, so I taped the spine.

Tanifuji - This is also a near 6/8 closer to 13/16” full hollow. A harder steel than the Cattaraugus based on difficulty in raising the burr. Despite the razor being in much better condition than the Cattaraugus, it actually took a longer to set the bevel on the Tanifuji.

I’ll have to wait to try these out as I am in the middle of FFFMM.

7B3DEAA1-4A0B-483A-BFE4-3C6C55D2E061.jpeg

Top Bottom