What's new

What did you hone today?

Puma on Mottled Vermont slate,

proxy.php

Pretty stone! How are the edges off of it? Do you slurry it?

Vr

Matt

Fantastic edges and yes they are all pretty stones - the Vermont ones.
No, I never use a slurry with slates.
I almost never use slurry period. Only on certain Jnats and that's it.
The best edge you can get from any stone is with water or oil alone. It may not be the most comfortable but it will be the finest.
Very hard Jnats are more comfortable with a little slurry.
Many times the slurry moves the edge backwards and is much coarser than with water alone.

taking the evening off hunting to enjoy football and venison chili the wife is making........so I decided to hone the monsta 8/8 Estas 14/Max Sommer.

my first time honing a big boy and must say it was an absolute pleasure much like working with a Fili. don't know if it this is due to a quality maker, time period, or just things we know of from good Geographic regions. first off, this is probably the first SR I was legitimately scared off from bevel set onward.

minor slice while wiping blade after bevel set.......that hasn't happened before???
20201018_113248.jpg

the blade definately had my full and undivided attention after this. because the blade is so thin, I could hear when it was finished on the Shapton Kuromaku 12k. the "Swoosh Swoosh" sound ended and the blade went silent. correspondingly it started sucking down more at the same time.

20201018_114327.jpg

no way I'm even running this one on a Balsa Progresion. Immediatley finished off on the Jasper to smooth her out.

what an absolute joy of a blade to have the privilege to work with.

camo

taking the evening off hunting to enjoy football and venison chili the wife is making........so I decided to hone the monsta 8/8 Estas 14/Max Sommer.

my first time honing a big boy and must say it was an absolute pleasure much like working with a Fili. don't know if it this is due to a quality maker, time period, or just things we know of from good Geographic regions. first off, this is probably the first SR I was legitimately scared off from bevel set onward.

minor slice while wiping blade after bevel set.......that hasn't happened before???
View attachment 1170378

the blade definately had my full and undivided attention after this. because the blade is so thin, I could hear when it was finished on the Shapton Kuromaku 12k. the "Swoosh Swoosh" sound ended and the blade went silent. correspondingly it started sucking down more at the same time.

View attachment 1170379

no way I'm even running this one on a Balsa Progresion. Immediatley finished off on the Jasper to smooth her out.

what an absolute joy of a blade to have the privilege to work with.

camo

I had a mishap earlier in the summer when I was taping the spine of a damascus custom...the tape slipped as I stretched it across the spine causing that bad boy to jump and bite deeply into my wrist. It was a one in a million wound on the wrist...sliced a tendon that humans no longer use (the doctor said it shows Neanderthal genetics...my wife enjoyed that since she is part of the population that doesn’t even have the tendon), it missed the tendons that I use/need, and it didn’t hit the artery.

One second...one slip up...that’s all it takes! I am glad it wasn’t worse for you Camo!

On to one of my favorite stones...the jasper! I think it’s one of the most versatile stones out there, and a ton of fun to figure out. It’s a top tier finisher when prepped properly, and I am finding it’s a great pre-finisher to max out the sharpness and refinement of the edge, and then to use an Escher or one of these JNATS to really smoooooth it out!

I have been pretty lucky recently with some of my acquisitions, and for that I am grateful!

Vr

Matt

I spent some time with these razors today...a Kron Vest 14 Gran Mogol and a JMP Filarmonica 14 Salamanca. I took them both back to the Chosera 1k, and navigated through the progression I have been tinkering with...these pics are the last two steps! I will shave test them over the rest of the week.

I hope that everyone is having a great week!

Vr

Matt

4F52A66C-A09F-40EB-A174-1A698E47E1A7.jpeg
D3F99153-413D-4B98-B209-2A836117C68C.jpeg

I spent some time with these razors today...a Kron Vest 14 Gran Mogol and a JMP Filarmonica 14 Salamanca. I took them both back to the Chosera 1k, and navigated through the progression I have been tinkering with...these pics are the last two steps! I will shave test them over the rest of the week.

I hope that everyone is having a great week!

Vr

Matt

View attachment 1171391View attachment 1171392
Man, those are some good looking razors.

The Genco razor I sent my pal took such a great edge, I wanted to get this old thing honed as well. I finished it on another mystery JNAT, and I am so curious that this is hopping line over the 14s that I honed yesterday! The pics below are my final two steps!

Vr

Matt

3B281850-F62F-42A7-B763-A0980B4EB133.jpeg
5F802CA0-0079-4958-BD97-F9A27019E299.jpeg

2 stone/razor test and shave. Both razors took a nice edge, very comfortable and close shave.
Dr. Balfanz 1915. I used this kiita that seems to work really well with my Friodurs and it performed with this solingen razor as well.
The Cape has been beat to death since it's my test razor. Touched up on kiita koppa. First atoma1200 slurry then tomo slurry.

iJt9dgrRSq6str0Ir2TZgA.jpg
IkK6FdYFSpC3Og3DeveseQ.jpg

I had already finished this razor...but that was before I started playing with these JNATS! I figured I would re-finish it. I can’t seem to get away from this one. Silent HHT at the end.

I hope that everyone has a great weekend!

Vr

Matt
5278AB40-4BA1-4CA9-9C52-4F7E971A7374.jpeg
734A3E65-2509-428C-A613-5943DA78CDA2.jpeg
B8B4E2A9-8B61-4864-B255-29B122FF66E9.jpeg

I just couldn’t help myself. I got an amazing deal from a fellow member on this rock. The first edge came off it incredibly sharp and smooth...not unlike the other mystery JNAT I have been using. The main difference was the mirror on the bevel near the edge was just a bit hazy. Aside from that...silent HHT...very very nice, close, comfortable shave.

I also love the smell of the slurry, the tactile feel, and auditory feedback that this stone provides. So I became more interested, and asked an expert to look at it. He thought that it likely came from one of the Eastern mines...I don’t even know which mines those are, and he thought there was a chance that it was very very old since one of the sides has scraping marks instead of the more clean saw marks. We will never know.

At any rate, I refinished this Brian Brown razor, and the HHT was more like the hair falling on a laser. So I will test this one soon as well! I expect that it will be excellent since this razor is a nice shaver to begin with for my tastes.

Vr

Matt
26C25DE1-0716-407E-8729-B3674994200F.jpeg
A37687AD-1A76-41C3-A86A-4E2E3A6E40A7.jpeg
B8DF55A2-2A17-4E61-819D-0902AAE2EBF7.jpeg

The detail and lighting of your photos is astonishing, @Matt O. Can you share anything about how you take such good photos? Camera? Lighting?

Hi Frank! Thanks for your nice words!

I don’t really have too much to share. I have one of these iPhone 11s with three cameras on the front, and I think the computer picks the one to snap the clearest picture.

The honing pictures at the table and sink are in the kitchen where there is quite a bit of natural light that comes in through windows and a large sliding door.

The lather pictures are in my bathroom, and there is a couple of powerful lights above the sink.

Have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

Took the Torrey Gibraltar for a little refresh on the Les Latenuses coticule.
PXL_20201024_232245573-01.jpeg

I didn't get the sticktion I was looking for on the hybrid, so I went back to the yellow side with a thin slurry and diluted to clean water. Finished on the hybrid side with clean water and felt better.

Shave test on Torrey Tuesday...

Top Bottom