What's new

What did you hone today?

Today was the first attempt at a coticule. Gave it a go with the Joseph Rodgers that didn't quite get the bevel right last weekend.
IMG_20200711_120213-01.jpeg
IMG_20200711_165218-01.jpeg

Went with a thick slurry to try to get some improvement on the bevel. I know, I know. Cotis aren't generally used for bevel work, but what did I have to lose? ... 40 or so minutes later there was actually a passable bevel across the length of the blade. (Side benefit- my stress levels plummeted during this time). I then went through several dilutions, and even dumped the old slurry at one point and started with a fresh slurry at the next dilution. I kinda enjoyed the whole "one stone" thing.

All told I was at it about 60 minutes and would seem to maybe have a shaveable edge. Popped fewer hairs treetopping than I'm used to, but it popped hairs. We'll see how it goes on the shave test tomorrow. (The shavette is on standby...)

1st Gen Fili 14...7/8+ but was shortened to about 2.95 somewhere along the way. Chosera 1k to set the bevel, and then Ancient Ocean Jasper (one side slurried with a DMT 325, and the other side finished under water).

This Fili has not had the easiest life, but took a SCREAMING edge...mirror on the bevel near the edge, and easily passing the HHT all along the edge!

Shave test tomorrow morning!

Vr

Matt

7594CD8E-2240-47DA-9E38-E7E5F902AD57.jpeg
843C7422-777C-45CA-8079-BC836131298C.jpeg

See that pic makes me envious of you guys who can do a HHT. Both mine and my wife's hair is too fine... cant use either. I can arm shave, but that is not always guaranteed either! I have to often hone and shave to see how it goes.

See that pic makes me envious of you guys who can do a HHT. Both mine and my wife's hair is too fine... cant use either. I can arm shave, but that is not always guaranteed either! I have to often hone and shave to see how it goes.

The HHT...it’s a fun little parlor trick. I do like to do it, simply because it is neat to see and hear the hair fall on the edge and split off with a plink, plink, plink. I have honed enough razors on the jasper now that my technique is dialed in...so I know when the razors are ready, but I still do it.

Vr

Matt

Just put an ocean jasper edge on this 4/8 blade. Cute little thing.

Attachments

• B37FBAE1-EDCD-474C-8FFF-6036A10912E1.jpeg
    B37FBAE1-EDCD-474C-8FFF-6036A10912E1.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
Just put an ocean jasper edge on this 4/8 blade. Cute little thing.

Ocean jasper huh? That's new to me! How does it feel? What are the edges like? I mean I'll do some research now that my interest is piqued, but firsthand info is always welcome.

Ocean jasper huh? That's new to me! How does it feel? What are the edges like? I mean I'll do some research now that my interest is piqued, but firsthand info is always welcome.

I just saw your reply. It is a nice finisher. Very fast and slick. You can burnish one side for finishing.

This stone was sold to me as "La Nouvelle Vein," I don't know if that's what it is, and neither did he. Oddly enough, it looks like it could be La Nouvelle... it acts like La Nouvelle... slow as molasses going uphill in January finishing on plain water. But, it delivers a memorable shave if one is willing to put in the time on the stone.

Here's today's Max Sprecher Special on the coticule in question...

proxy.php

Beater razor covered with rust and cracked scales, unpinned and sanded. Once I was sure it will take an edge I put it back together. Bevel set with 1k chosera. Midrange with suita on the left. I decided to experiment so did botan and tenjyou on the suita and then jumped to the koma in the middle. Finished on the karasu which is very very hard and fine. Used tomo slurry which was breaking down nicely. Very comfortable shave. Now that I am looking at it the Karasu is matching the pattern of the counter.

fullsizeoutput_1ef6.jpeg

Yesterday evening i honend 1 of my favoriet saving razors a F. Herder 1.
Progression:
Naniwa chosera 1k
Naniwa Super Stone 3k
Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa 4k
Naniwa Gouken Fuji 8k
Okudo with Mejiro, Komo, and 2 tomo

This morning the shave, what a great razor, on the face 2 passes and smooth did 1 pass on my head and cleanend it up with a Fatip.

SOTD
SWK xl scuttle
F. Herder 1
Fatip
Shavemac 2 band flattop
MDC Agrumus
Pinaud Citrus Musk
Prep balm

20200802_210121.jpg
20200803_085655.jpg

7/8 Poyet Feres Frameback...made in Paris circa 1915 by This honed up very very nicely, and provided a very smooth BBS shave. I have two large 1900-1930 French Framebacks, and I love them...perhaps I am a fan!

Vr

Matt

C6DBBB43-79EF-457E-8E81-A66F035C2DF9.jpeg
9F8BB21E-DD35-4870-8F1E-777A0A942582.jpeg

Second attempt at using a coticule tonight with this new (to me) PAX.
PXL_20200804_045023729-01.jpeg

I think I lucked out on my first coticule attempt. This one didn't seem to quite end up where I thought it would. Just not treetopping like I'd like it to be. I'll shave test it anyway and see how it does.

Top Bottom