What's new

What did you hone today?

I rehoned my black frontier razor. It has become my test razor for now. Razor had a shaving edge but since I sealed a new asagi that needed testing I decided to try just tomo slurry. First try was with the small tomo on the right, edge was worse than before. Tried one more dilution but still tugging. Decided to try to raise slurry from the stone on the right that I am planning to cut to tomo nagura. It's hard but not as hard as the tomo above it. Everything clicked. Edge came out laser sharp. Yes finding the right tomo does make a difference.

fullsizeoutput_1a75.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Herder76.10-13-19.Off-DCA.480.JPG10-13-19.Wide-Torrey.Off-DCA.480.JPGFredericks.Celebrated.Off-DCA.480.10-13-19.JPG

The Herder 76 wasn't quite there yet after it's previous honing. Maybe it is now. Shave test on Monday.

The Wide Torrey was already fine. I'm seeing if I can get it even sharper. Shave test Tuesday.

The Fredericks Celebrated has been a problem child. Today's efforts on the Washita and the DCA may have improved it some. I didn't think it was ready but shave tested it anyway. I was right. It's not shave ready.

The Herder and Torrey were honed entire on the Double Convex Ark. The Torrey, only on the black finishing side.

Wade.Off-DCA.10-13-19.480.JPG

Ah, I also honed this one later in the day. DCA. Wade. Just improving the edge (I hope).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I put my friodur 72 1/2 back on my new, very hard jnat barbers hone. I left a lot on the table last time but I have improved via the hht so I’m optimistic about tomorrow’s shave.

Had to sharpen this razor twice today. I have never ever dropped a razor that is until today. She was done and ready to shave, dropped her and 7mm in length chip on the cutting edge 🤬.
5762D8A4-EE1D-4120-B78C-9243A5F93DB9.jpeg

Had to sharpen this razor twice today. I have never ever dropped a razor that is until today. She was done and ready to shave, dropped her and 7mm in length chip on the cutting edge 🤬.
View attachment 1027575

Beautiful razor, love the "bird song" etching! Perhaps it shaves corresponding.

It is irritating to drop or ding a just finished honed razor in the water tap.
But I started to think, good I didn't cut myself when dropping a razor.

Thank you for the kind words gents. I was tempted to try and catch it, but I told myself early on that there is no razor worth trying to catch when dropped.

Older age and slower reflexes has its advantages 🤣

Hmmm im not going there I dropped one a few weeks ago, and yes I went to catch it finger and thumb both cut..

20190908_200536.jpg

And still knocked a chunk out of the blade

My reflex to catch things when dropped is strong so I 've spent time thinking "don' t catch the razor if dropped".

"And still knocked a chunk out of the blade" - that's really irritating, both the cut and messed up edge.
Positive thinking, there are worse places in body where to get the cuts even if it is pain to get them in finger tips.

Today I put my Henckels through the paces on my medium hard jnat that I’m still learning. Then put a Dovo and a TI on my coticule. That should set me up pretty well for the week.

Two razors that were prepped on my coticule on the 8x2 translucent used with Norton sharpening oil. Feedback was definitely different then what I am use to as well. Test shave to come later tonight after my trip to the gym. Will say the edges are definitely sharper, interested to see what the shave is like.

ID0aZEx.jpg

^^^^^ Both those ladies are beautiful, would not mind either of them spending time on my face.

The is not as beautiful but should shave good.
D5572654-3DBA-48E3-8466-6BD27B8F3EC9.jpeg

Just honed an oddball Friodur from Ebay. It is the size and profile of a 17 but lacks the number stamping. All the other stamps are correct (and I compared side-by-side with my other Friodurs), and the grind is right (a nice bellied full hollow). The file jimping on the bottom of the tang matches the pattern on my other Friodurs, but it also has file jimping on the top of the tang which I haven't seen on a Friodur before. The finish on the metal looks correct, and the scales are the same French ivory pattern as one of my #72s. It lacked any noticeable honewear, and the bevel was nearly invisible. Anyways, I killed the edge on glass then cut the bevel on a hard #7 La Veinette coti bout with slurry, then progressed to a Nakayama kiita koppa with tomo slurry and finished on the same kiita with water. It treetops well now, and I'll shave with it tomorrow morning to see how everything came together. It sounded and felt great on the strop fwiw.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Touch up of the big steel for next Thursday’s guest of honor. Big steel,big rock, time to take out the 10” coticule. Put both sides to use

459BB38A-F846-4935-A713-CEC7E40FCAFF.jpeg

I won an auction for an old (1910's) Solingen blade of unknown maker in near perfect condition for a whopping 5 euro. I honed it and it turned out to be on of the best edges I have ever seen. Just chosera 1k and belgian Blue. I could not believe my eyes and ears when I did the HHT. Sometimes you get lucky. For those interested :this seller is selling several other razors at bottom prices that might be similar to this one (but not always as nice): jandobias on ebay.

Last edited:
Been putting this Lakeside through basic testing sessions for a week or so and it went through another cycle today. It's been refurbed - lapped, polished and lightly lubricated. I tested it on arrival and, as expected, the results were not acceptable. The top was notably bellied, with a tilt toward the 'facing' edge if held with the left hand. The part of the forward edge within in the concave wear spot was also deteriorated and crusty. All of which tells me this stone saw a lot of use. I'll never know what it was like the day it was made, but it's certainly a lot better off now than it was when I got it. It's dead flat and the texture is perfectly consistent from corner to corner.
Lakeside Testing 1a.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The top was notably bellied, with a tilt toward the 'facing' edge if held with the left hand. The part of the forward edge within in the concave wear spot was also deteriorated and crusty.
Yikes. That doesn’t sound like something I’d want to use- for anything. Great job bringing it back to life. Those aren’t easy to come by.

Yikes. That doesn’t sound like something I’d want to use- for anything. Great job bringing it back to life. Those aren’t easy to come by.

Thanks David, yeah - Lakesides are relatively uncommon and this one was crying for some first aid.

Most of these barber hones that were used regularly show the same wear pattern as this one. I believe it's from too much pressure on the facing side, combined with only focusing on the central portion of the working surface. The crusty part is either caused by that edge drying out, or soap scum, or both. I'm thinking both acually, I can usually sense some sort of a waxy feel to it. Getting it flat, polished and conditioned really brought it back to life. I lapped this one to 1k - I might consider going higher.

Top Bottom