What's new

What did you hone today?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I messed around on the stones and several razors I plan to really like. For me it's a learning process. I'm slowly climbing the learning curve but having a big time doing so.

This razor always shaved nicely.

Fredericks.Off-Norton Convex.640.8-14-19.JPG

Some weeks ago I looked at its edge with sufficient magnification to realize the edge needed work. It needed, as it turns out, significant work in the heel and toe areas. It's not that the chips were bad, but getting to metal I liked all along the bevel took some doing. After a couple of sessions on the stones I may be there now.

Fredericks.Back.8-14-19.640.JPG Fredericks.Off-Norton Convex.480.8-14-19.JPG

I used the Shapton Pro 320, the Chosera 1K, the Washita, the soft side of my DCA, and the Norton Convex 8x3. Two pretty long honing sessions. I was not fired up about honing it more today, and it seemed like forever before I could see I was perhaps getting where I wanted to be, but I'm glad I persisted.

We'll see if I'm still glad after the shave test.

Next up was a razor I used and liked just a few days ago.

Robeson.8-14-19.Off-Norton Convex.640.JPG

Although this Robeson's edge was already sharp my objective was to increase sharpness with the Norton Convex.

My two Kinfolks razors received much the same.

Kinfolks-#1&#2..640.Off-Norton Convex.8-14-19JPG.JPG

The razor on the left is my Kinfolks #1. I've been working on it; more than once. It's been gradually improving, grudgingly. Probably what I did today on just the Norton Convex (a finishing stone) didn't fix it Maybe what I did today on the Norton Convex did the trick. It's edge feels sharp to my thumb-pad so we'll see.

The Kinfolks with legible writing on the scales and a relatively ugly blade is the one I call my Kinfolks #2. Its edge was already very good, but could I get it even sharper? We'll see.

It will be interesting to see how #2 improved, and also to see how #1 and #2 compare now.

forge-550622-1280.jpeg

It's not like I know anything about it, but my impression is all the razors I messed with today have good steel and were made well. I think they rate the work I did (and it was interesting and satisfying). I try to find razors of a certain quality and have done pretty well with it thanks to the help of some of the members who drop hints and breadcrumbs.

Shave tests pending.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Last edited:
A GD 66, a GD 208, a Worchester, and a Maychester. All but the GD 208 were re-do's, not quite sharp enough to shave with. Went back to the Bester 1200 and worked a long time, think I got the bevel set this time.

Had to start the GD 208 on a diamond plate, they are rather hard and this one had an over-grind on one side of the heel I wanted to remove and the diamond plate is much faster. Went to my Beston 500 after that, and it was grabbing so I had the bevel set on that too.

Tomorrow will tell if I got them right, I'll try shaving with one of them. They are all sharp enough to shave dry hair in small patches (on my face), so it should go OK this time around.

Ran them over the Bester 1200, a Naniwa 3k, Arashiyama 6k, Kitayama, and then my three slates from AJ. They all got "sticky" very quickly on the slates.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Used this one today and decided to hone it.

Spalding.Face.640.8-21-19.JPG Spalding.Backside.640.8-21-19JPG.JPG

The photo show the face and backside of my Spalding.

Already sharp but an effort was made to improve the edge. I believe it has great capacity for a keen edge. Used a bit of mineral oil on the Double Convex Ark 8x3's finishing side. I may use the razor tomorrow morning. I may hone it more tomorrow after work.

I'm seeking a high standard for this Japanese blade.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Spalding.Kit.640.8-22-19.JPG

This morning's shaver. More honing this afternoon; maybe 250 or more laps on the finishing side of the Double Convex Ark using a Ballistol and water mix.

The blade was already sharp, but I'm seeing if I can get it sharper. I'll likely shave with it again on Friday.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Once again I honed the Spalding on the black side of the DCA.

8-23-19.Spalding.Kit.ProPro.JJ&C.640JPG.JPG

That's after using it again this morning. As before, I'm trying to max out its edge. However, I'm now taking a break from honing. In the interim I'll shave with this red Spalding a few times comparing it to a little group of my very top tier daily driver razors.

Others of my razors are probably as sharp and comfortable as these few. Some though are fancy. Sunday razors, not daily drivers. Some have edges I would have to shave test to be sure of one way or the other. Anyway, for various reasons I've picked a small group of razors with known edges to use exclusively for a couple of weeks while I take a little break from honing.

Traveling some. Hones are heavy.

This razor's edge is not totally known. But I know it's sharp enough to be in the running for top tier, shave test pending, unless I messed up today on the Ark.

upload_2019-8-23_17-30-35.jpeg

Which is always possible on an Ark, right? Not very forgiving. Slow. Otherwise, well, Arks are Arks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
So the first time using my (new to me) Nakayama, i used my practise razor a #49 F. Herder with a new plastic scales and w wedge.

Progression 3/5K Naniwa super stone, Nakayama with TBN, Mejiro, Koma and a new tomo nagura.

Shave was very nice, used a Shavemac DO1 2 band 24 mm with MDC Argumes a very nice citrus soap and after a used a resfreshing Osaga Rub.

A nice start learning this new stone, a good weekend everyone :)
20190824_130938.jpg

Took the Greaves to the stones yesterday. As I was setting up I realized that there was some hone wear on the spine of what I thought was a full wedge. Maybe it was originally a near wedge that they didn't tape? I went with 2 layers of electrical tape and set the bevel on the Norton 1k. For the first time I tried to set it without raising a discernable burr. It took rolling Xs to get the heel and toe, but I expected that with the slight smile. The thumbnail test seemed satisfactory so I moved on to the Norton 4k, 8k, and the Naniwa 12k. I guess I rushed things and had to step back down to make sure I cleared earlier scratches. But after the 12k it easily shaved arm hair and popped hair at 1/8".
IMG_20190824_221839-01.jpeg

I finished with the pasted balsa progression (0.50, 0.25, 0.10 micron diamond paste) and then stropped on a leather bench strop.

To be honest, I'm not sure I got it. First time honing a wedge. First time not raising a burr. I guess today's shave test will tell the tale.

Honed up a NOS CVH N.24 5/8s on chosera synths 1,3,5,8,10.. pretty good. The original edge was serviceable after 70+ years and didn't respond to a drop to 5K, so back to 1K to give it a go.

You can’t get off that easy. We needs pics. And a shaving video.

I am not shaving with an axe. I have sensitive skin. Unfortunately I just walked in drenched in sweat. Cutting trees is really hard work. I just redid the edge on a Lansky puck fine side and finished on an Ark chunk I had lying around. Nothing fancy or pic worthy. When I break out the Uchigumori I will post up!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have sensitive skin.
Use a Coticule. :001_tt2:

About 5 years ago a butterscotch puck sold on the bay and it haunts me that I didn’t buy it. Not sure what the story was but it was about 4” in diameter and perfect. It would have made a great axe stone.

Eiko came in today and couldn’t wait to put it to the stones.
4E40F645-25F7-4883-82F1-82BE8B3D9CF1.jpeg

Gave it the almost full nagura progression, skipped the botan because the bevel seemed pretty good.

AABF3DEA-4239-4591-9F5C-B5D1712BEE8E.jpeg

Top Bottom