What's new

What did you hone today?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today successful effort took an already sharp and comfortable coticule edge to new heights.

WideTorrey.Off-DCA.7-24-19.JPG

My wide Torrey is fresh off the DCA. It passed the shave test with flying colors.

This 6/8 Yasuhira Hinode came in today. Needed some bevel work so I brought out the jnats.

Takashima stone with botan to start and then tenjyou to smooth things out. Will move on to the finishing stones later.

18B2B0B1-79B5-49C1-8251-C315BFF4A7FB.jpeg

Actually, yesterday's hone, but I shaved with it today. Solingen-made "Mon Bijou" with a bent spine that a friend gave to me around a year ago. Lots of gold wash remained, so I didn't bother cleaning it up. After a few weeks of using it off its original honing progression, it needed more than a touch-up, so I took it to an extra-fine DMT to reset the bevel. This revealed a little bit of devil's-spit interference that required some attention from the fine DMT to expedite things. Then back to the extra-fine DMT. Straight, up-and-down strokes with the diamond hones, with tape being used to protect the decorated spine. Switched to X-strokes with an Arkansas stone intended for the German market for the finish, using the light machine oil as shown. Really nice stuff. Stropped on a Rasoir-Sabre shell strop that I picked up a long while back--a local product made here in the Vosges mountains. Both it and the Arkansas stone put an amazing edge on the razor as today's shave was terrific! I've not tried moving from an extra-fine DMT straight to an Arkansas before, but it seems to work quite well. More heel wear on the show side than I'd like, along with some corresponding increased toe wear. I think this may have had to do with using the diamond hones with a razor having a bent spine. With diamond hones, I refuse to do an X-stroke, let alone a rolling-X, under the impression that it leads to chipping. So more material had to be removed to get to the edge this way. On synths and naturals, I could have used a rolling stroke, minimizing the wear.

Picture of the stone w/razor shows the stone darker than it is, so I added another shot of the stone by itself, as it has a curious, almost wood-grain appearance. Also reminds me of a Charnley Forest.

HOTD-25-07-19.jpg

German-Arkansas-Stone.jpg

Last edited:
Lightly honed, and cleaned
Stamped; Carl Niedeck 52 Haan Garantie(d), Silberstahl on reverse

Polished with jeweler’s rouge
Cleaned with Skanunu
Honed on Ocean Blue
Stropped on Imported Pebble/Russia C.F. Jaeger Co. Marinette Wisc.

F2D25236-7867-46F3-BE72-9D8B2F77FEC1.jpeg
6A0C9B43-5AE0-4007-AD12-320155F57127.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This was actually honed yesterday.

SolidComfort.Face.Nice.7-28-19.640JPG.JPG

Solid Comfort!

With that written on the blade it's gotta be great, right?

SolidComfort.480.7-28-19.Back..JPG

It's a vintage 5/8” round point Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co, 505, Solid Comfort. I acquired it from JL (a well known vendor who sells "shave ready" razors). I've not always been a fan of his edges, but buying from him has always in my experience meant the edge was straight and the bevel was decent.

SolidComfort.Face.7-28-19.640JPG.JPG

I began on the soft side of my DCA. The edge was finished on my new Norton White Translucent Convex 8x3.

It will probably be shave tested today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Couple of Modded GoldDollar 1996 took them both through a bevel setting on a King 1k then lapping film progression from 12, 9, 5, 3, 1, and.3 with paper and some TABAC lather. They both topped trees easily. I am pretty excited to try them both! This was my actual first time honing to anything close to shave ready!
15643401358386698698833835589802.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Tested a Puma #1 on a mystery Jnat. Stone was a joy to use. The Puma gave my a comfortable, smooth, easy shave

612349E8-CE0E-40F4-8EBC-6555D0EA52A8.jpeg

Torrey 232 on synthetics (Naniwa 12k pictured) and pasted balsa. Had to get ready for Torrey Tuesday tomorrow...
IMG_20190729_211656.jpg

Shave test tomorrow and then, most likely, a serious clean up.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Two German razors received more finishing work today.

Here's the shave report on the first razor.

Kukri.Face.649.7-31-19.JPG

This Kukri's edge was improved from very nice to even nicer by some convex Ark round trips.

SolidComfort.640.Nice.7-31-19.JPG

Unlike the Kukri, the edge on this Solid Comfort razor wasn't so hot last time I shaved with it (which was also the first time I've shaved with it). Link to that shave.

Like the Kukri this razor spent a good bit of time on the white translucent convex Ark and also on the finishing side of the Double Convex Ark. Maybe 300 laps for the Solid Comfort and maybe a couple hundred for the Kukri.

Solid Comfort shave report is pending (when I get around to it).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
8-3-19.SolidComfort.Face.640.JPG

Still working on this Solid Comfort's edge. The shave test is still just barely within the okay range. Certainly not up to snuff yet. Is it worth continuing with this edge? I'll think about it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This razor is the one I call my Kinforks #2 (or my Ugly Kinfolks with the better scales). It is not the razor discussed in this thread on frowns.

Kinfolks#2.8-3-19.640.JPG

I got this one cheap, under $10 including shipping. My theory was the scales might be worth that much to me (as these scales are nicer I think than the scales on my Kinfolks #1).

Kinfolks#2.Vendor's Photo..png

That's the vendor's photo which shows how it looked when I acquired it.

The other day when it arrived I cleaned it up a bit with BKF and Flitz. It had no chips large enough to see with my naked eye (and my glasses), but with my 20X LED lighted loupe there were quite significant chips.

My brand new Japanese Shapton 320 was the ideal stone to start with. It took significant work with even that stone (but vastly less than the Chosera 1K would have required), but the chips went away.

Next up were both sides of my Washita. This was followed by the soft side of the Double Convex Ark 8x3 and then by the convex white translucent Norton Ark 8x3.
Pass or Fail?480.jpg

I didn't do a huge amount of work beyond the chip removal (maybe 100 - 200 round trips on the finishing stone). My impression was the edge sharpened nicely. I won't know until I shave test it.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Kinfollks#1.640.8-3-19..JPG

This is my other Kinfolks Blue Steel Special. It was the subject of discussion on frowns.

Today this, my Kinfolks #1, was honed on the Washita and the Double Convex Ark. It seems like progress was made, but only the shave test will reveal how much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Robeson.640.Nice.Off-DCA.Face.JPG

Slightly different views of my Robeson.

Robeson.480.Face.Bamboo.JPG 8-4-19.Robeson.Bamboo.Off-DCA.640.JPG

The handle was tightened. Hones were both sides of two stones, the Washita and the Double Convex Ark. I have very little confidence in the edge, but I'll shave test it within the next few days.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

First time on the stones (for me) for the ERN Crown & Sword 1166. Set the bevel and then ran up through the 0.1u balsa.

Brought theTorrey 232 back to the 8k and up since I wasn't thrilled with the first attempt last week.
IMG_20190804_154031-01.jpeg

Crown & Sword shave test tomorrow (unless I play with the GEM for Micromatic Monday). Torrey gets tested on Torrey Tuesday.

(My G_d! I love straight razors!)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
First time on the stones (for me) for the ERN Crown & Sword 1166. Set the bevel and then ran up through the 0.1u balsa.

Brought theTorrey 232 back to the 8k and up since I wasn't thrilled with the first attempt last week.
View attachment 1005087
Crown & Sword shave test tomorrow (unless I play with the GEM for Micromatic Monday). Torrey gets tested on Torrey Tuesday.

(My G_d! I love straight razors!)

My ERN and my best Torrey! Wonderful blades they are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Soderen frameback. Full nagura progression on this really hard, supposed ozuku (if I recall). This is either going to be phenomenal or bad news..
20190808_110717.jpg
20190808_110613.jpg

Well, it didn't make any weird noises on the strop or scratch it so I am hopeful. It's a good thing too, I took it to a vintage Wladimir Savin as it is my only light draw strop.

Top Bottom