What's new

What did you hone today?

Hi Twelvefret! It's been awhile. First, I want to thank you for encouraging me to be a straight shaver back in Nov. Now, 85 shavette shaves and 86 straight razor, later, I honed a straight razor for the first time yesterday. I used lapping films and a marble substrate to get the job done. I honed my very first straight razor that I owned, it was my Dovo Special. I used the 1 and .3 films and I got a great edge. The razor seemed to glide on my face. After the first pass, I had a DFS+. I could have stopped there, but I went for pass 2, and really didn't need to touch up, but did anyway. Ended with a great comfortable shave with no wounds. Doing a fool's pass was so easy! I also honed my Dovo Best and hopefully I will get similar results. Thanks for letting me share.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
While Tanifuji.

7-10-19.Tanifuji.White.Off-DCA.640.JPG

About 120 round trips on the finishing side of the DCA. Just seeing how max'd out I can get this already very nice edge. So far, the sky's the limit, but today's shave test hasn't happened yet.

About 40 laps.

It helped bump up the edge a little the first two times. Third time and the edge seems to be maxed or just such a small improvement that it doesn’t make a difference. Either way the convex ark is giving great shaves.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
About 40 laps.

It helped bump up the edge a little the first two times. Third time and the edge seems to be maxed or just such a small improvement that it doesn’t make a difference. Either way the convex ark is giving great shaves.

So, our experiences doing similar things are giving us similar results.

Rehoned my GD. Last shave was good, but the aftershave lit me up. I looked closer at the blade and noticed a lot of micro chipping on the edge. Odd. So I started back at Shapton 1.5k, then Naniwa 5k, 8k, and finished on Thuringian for a bit.
Much better tonight.

Got to test the karasu that arrived few months ago. Did koma/tomo on a Friodur. Came out pretty good, very comfortable shave but could have been just a notch sharper.

fullsizeoutput_1a19.jpeg

Bevel set x 3 today.
IMG_20190720_161511-01.jpeg

• Rolls
  • Imperial Extra Hollow Ground (Germania)
  • Frederick Reynolds Old English
All on Norton 1k

Progression (4k, 8k,12k synthetics) and polish (pasted balsa) tomorrow.

So today I took all three above blades through my synthetic progression and the straights through the pasted balsa progression.

Got to shave test the Frederick Reynolds... Fantastic shave!
IMG_20190721_152156-01.jpeg

Already love my other F R. I'm sure I'm gonna love this one at least as much. (But I may have to change those scales. Bleh!)

Imperial shave test tomorrow ...

So today I took all three above blades through my synthetic progression and the straights through the pasted balsa progression.

Got to shave test the Frederick Reynolds... Fantastic shave!
View attachment 1000992

Already love my other F R. I'm sure I'm gonna love this one at least as much. (But I may have to change those scales. Bleh!)

Imperial shave test tomorrow ...

Diamond is for kings. I salute you brother. :a50:

Top Bottom