What's new

What did you hone today?

Several things got sharper here today, and a few new stones got flat and wet too. But the highlight of the afternoon was beating up on this $3.50 S&W folder. It's only use to open boxes but it gets a new 'edge' once a year. Today it was introduced to Ole' Red for a lengthy session. There was much swarf. Those aren't chips, It used to be serrated. Cuts nice again.

IMG_4566.JPG

1000000909.jpg

Sanded out the rust on my toho frameback, w/d 120 through 2000 then some "Kyoto Tripoli" and diamond paste 0.5 thru 0.1 for the final polish.

Reset the bevel on the Shapton 1k. There was some wonky geometry which I finally fixed up. Then aizu, blue suita and kiita san. Edge seems promising, shave test in the morning!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I think these were intended to be maintained and finished with a pasted strop. The factory bevel angle was measured to 15 deg.
So, one layer of tape was used, and the edge was finished with slurry to get a little more meat behind the edge.
I had a really comfortable shave. Hopefully the edge will hold a little better now.

I believe that you are correct in your assessment John.

View attachment 1820851
Got a good edge on my Starlet. I'm quite proud of myself, considering the toe has a slight bend to it like it might have been dropped and the sides right above the edge looks wavy. So I just used lots of X strokes with the full length of the blade. I used Shapton HR 1k, 3k, film 4.5k, 6k, 14k, and ended with 14k with paper.

Thanks @H Brad Boonshaft for the suggestion to shave off the 1u film. This edge makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong with the balsa.

I think this is the best edge I've shaved with so far. My shave isn't very close but I didn't notice any resistance shaving mustache ATG.

Your shaves will improve with practice. Honing a SR is fun, and enjoy the journey.

After touching up my Bengal on sat on my Kiita I shaved with it this morning.
It was fine but not quite as keen as I like it atg on my top lip.
I was going to revisit the Kiita when I remembered this small stone which I found on the beach a year or so ago.
Id brought it home and lapped one side of it flat and found it surprisingly effective on the one razor I’d tried it on.
So tonight I oiled it up and got going.
IMG_1857.jpeg

IMG_1856.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

IMG_1858.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

It’s just about of usable size of maybe 3inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
It’s very smooth and has a nice feel when oiled, I have no idea what it’s made of.
I gave it plenty of half strokes then about 100 x strokes, it’s a pretty little stone, black as onyx when oiled.
After a strop I got an excellent HHT, so I’m looking forward to comparing it tomorrow to this mornings shave.
When I first found it someone here suggested I drill it and make a Viking style pendant from it.
I like this cool idea.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
After touching up my Bengal on sat on my Kiita I shaved with it this morning.
It was fine but not quite as keen as I like it atg on my top lip.
I was going to revisit the Kiita when I remembered this small stone which I found on the beach a year or so ago.
Id brought it home and lapped one side of it flat and found it surprisingly effective on the one razor I’d tried it on.
So tonight I oiled it up and got going.View attachment 1822015
View attachment 1822016
View attachment 1822017
View attachment 1822018
View attachment 1822019
It’s just about of usable size of maybe 3inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
It’s very smooth and has a nice feel when oiled, I have no idea what it’s made of.
I gave it plenty of half strokes then about 100 x strokes, it’s a pretty little stone, black as onyx when oiled.
After a strop I got an excellent HHT, so I’m looking forward to comparing it tomorrow to this mornings shave.
When I first found it someone here suggested I drill it and make a Viking style pendant from it.
I like this cool idea.
I have a similar looking hard black stone that @cotedupy picked up somewhere in the UK (Tavy? Not sure I remember where that is). Very dense and fine grained. Good for razors, not sure how useful for knives.

IMG_7996.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I found it in Wales on a beach at Beaumaris in Anglesey. I found a fossilized shell the same day, cool little thing. Don’t know how many million years old that was.
Ha. Tavy sounds Welsh. Maybe they ARE related.

Actually, there is a river Tavy in Devon, so maybe mine came from there...

Ha. Tavy sounds Welsh. Maybe they ARE related.

Actually, there is a river Tavy in Devon, so maybe mine came from there...

Yeah, yours is from the western fringes Dartmoor (Devon). I called it ‘Tavy Stone’ because it’s a rather unusual type of rock I saw used a fair bit in some of the buildings of a small village just north of Tavistock called: ‘Mary Tavy’.

IMG_1908.jpeg
Thomas Turner 5/8ths on an oiled coticule.
I used it under running water until it stuck, stropped linen and leather then under the water again.
Stropped again then baby oiled the coticule and gave it maybe 150 laps.
This was my first razor, I can still remember the trepidation before my first shave with it.

Repaired some damage to the heel of a 5" chef knife. Long ago I had a bright idea to flatten the bottom of the bolster by the edge. In doing so I wound up putting 80x wheel marks into the bevel and bolster. The blade survived but it was ugly. The Red Bay stone seemed perfect for the task and it did not disappoint. Hard enough to lean on, takes enough steel off and leaves some kind of a polish behind. I did not go full throttle, wasn't sure the surgery would work out and didn't want to over-shoot the target. So there is still a bit more to do, 90% done is fine. My carrots don't care how the knife looks when it's cutting them. I think this stone is going to be my new tool for keeping the bolster in check.

Top Bottom