What's new

What did you hone today?

The Damascus True Ring on Vermont Mottled slate,

DSCN3487.JPG
IMG_069.JPG

Finally got my SR Droescher gold bug under control. After a barrage of different stones I used one of my tried and true Washitas to get the spine in order, then went to my new les lat that came in today. This stone is very fast(especially for a coticule) and I already had a les lat slurry stone. It really seemed to shine when I put my lpb slurry on it. It felt like I was honing on cheese cake. The yellow side of this stone is also very hard and very, very fine. I've never liked shaving off coticules but I think I'll give this one a go tomorrow.

revision: I never hit post, but I broke down and finished honing it on my charnwood. Haven't shaved with it yet but can tell it's a fantastic edge. Glad I bought the 100 x 40 les lat. It's like my favorite size too. After the charn this thing will silently hht long beard hairs hanging off my chin and those are my most bristley hairs.

20220106_231929.jpg20220106_231935.jpg20220106_231837.jpg20220106_235659.jpg

Trial sharpening on an unknown jnat.
- 1000 grit
- 3000 grit
- stone with slurry
- pure stone
- cotton ribbon+leather belt

Attachments

• стропа+кожа.jpg
    стропа+кожа.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 11
  • чистый.jpg
    чистый.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 11
  • суспензия.jpg
    суспензия.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 3000.jpg
    3000.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220107_112200.jpg
    20220107_112200.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 14
Trying out these two yesterday. The stone on the left has markedly less large pyrite, but still a little. Oh well. Once I get a good piece I'm certain this stone will be absolutely superb.

IMG-4115 (1).jpg

Low spots and polishing this yanagi later, and edge on the Nakiri. Then going to try sharpening a little Stanley 101 I found in an antique shop recently. Bit of a doll's-house size, but if I can get it back sharp and working again could actually be quite useful for what I do. Maybe.

I assume there's not much more to restoring a tiny old plane like this than just sharpening the blade...?

Stones are; King 1.2, Washita, Moughton, Glanrafon, 2x Mystery Purple stones (larger one could be 'Vosgienne' perhaps).

IMG-4119.jpg

IMG-4121.jpg

Last edited:
Trying out these two yesterday. The stone on the left has markedly less large pyrite, but still a little. Oh well. Once I get a good piece I'm certain this stone will be absolutely superb.

View attachment 1390258

Low spots and polishing this yanagi later, and edge on the Nakiri. Then going to try sharpening a little Stanley 101 I found in an antique shop recently. Bit of a doll's-house size, but if I can get it back sharp and working again could actually be quite useful for what I do. Maybe.

I assume there's not much more to restoring a tiny old plane like this than just sharpening the blade...?

Stones are; King 1.2, Washita, Moughton, Glanrafon, 2x Mystery Purple stones (larger one could be 'Vosgienne' perhaps).

View attachment 1390261

View attachment 1390260

Well Operation-Teach-Myself-How-To-Sharpen-A-Tiny-Plane-Blade went quite well I think. I haven't really ever sharpened many planes before, just lots of chisels, but seemed to be a similar affair.

The bevel still has some convexity, which I assume it's not meant to (?), but I managed to flatten it a bit, and the edge is pretty decent - it does at least work now. I'm fairly pleased for a first attempt.

IMG-4124.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Well Operation-Teach-Myself-How-To-Sharpen-A-Tiny-Plane-Blade went quite well I think. I haven't really ever sharpened many planes before, just lots of chisels, but seemed to be a similar affair.

The bevel still has some convexity, which I assume it's not meant to (?), but I managed to flatten it a bit, and the edge is pretty decent - it does at least work now. I'm fairly pleased for a first attempt.

View attachment 1390343
Because of the narrow bevel on plane blades, I use one of those rolling jigs to keep the angle. It’s harder to feel than a chisel.

Other than that, yeah, much the same process.

Because of the narrow bevel on plane blades, I use one of those rolling jigs to keep the angle. It’s harder to feel than a chisel.

Other than that, yeah, much the same process.

Yeah I can imagine a jig is probably useful for both planes and chisels. TBH I haven’t done enough of the latter to be particularly good at them either, but I can get sharp enough for me. Though most of the chisels I have / use are quite small ones, and they seem rather tricky too.

Yeah I can imagine a jig is probably useful for both planes and chisels. TBH I haven’t done enough of the latter to be particularly good at them either, but I can get sharp enough for me. Though most of the chisels I have / use are quite small ones, and they seem rather tricky too.
Putting a solid micro bevel was a game changer for me when it came to sharpening chisels. I need to sharpen a few and make some boxes.

Trying out a new setup today, a Shapton Pro 1.5 and Naniwa Gouken 4k & 8k, plus the trans ark. Up to bat were a new to me E.A. Berg and a Gradwell. Had some missteps on the Berg but I think I got things straightened out and the Gradwell was a breeze. Shaves will tell.

20220108_172447.jpg

Trying out a new setup today, a Shapton Pro 1.5 and Naniwa Gouken 4k & 8k, plus the trans ark. Up to bat were a new to me E.A. Berg and a Gradwell. Had some missteps on the Berg but I think I got things straightened out and the Gradwell was a breeze. Shaves will tell.

View attachment 1390886

Are the Goukens still available in two types...? A while back there was the Kagayaki (basically SS), and Arata (Pro/Chosera).

[That was my understanding of what they were anyway!]

Interesting... those actually look like they might be something different again. I think @Gamma reviewed them at one point, so perhaps he might know how they compare to the Gouken Kagayaka and Arato series...

Those are the ones Gamma likes alot, I would say better quality than kagayaki/SS. I have a whole set of the Gouken Kagayaki, 1k,5k, 8k, 10k. I got them because they were ridiculous cheap. They feel the same as superstones to me, maybe harder? Still load up easily and sadly my 8k and 10k have warped. I had read or atleast hoped these would of resolved the warping issue but obviously haven't for 10mm ones. I will be trying to gluing them to a Base but havent got around to it. The 10k shaving edge is just fantastic atleaat.

Last edited:
Those are the ones Gamma likes alot, I would say better quality than kagayaki/SS. I have a whole set of the Gouken Kagayaki, 1k,5k, 8k, 10k. I got them because they were ridiculous cheap. They feel the same as superstones to me, maybe harder? Still load up easily and sadly my 8k and 10k have warped. I had read or atleast hoped these would of resolved the warping issue but obviously haven't for 10mm ones. I will be trying to gluing them to a Base but havent got around to it. The 10k shaving edge is just fantastic atleaat.

Yeah that's certainly my understanding - that the Kagayaki are SS, and Arato are Chosera. So perhaps the Fuji and Hayabusa are domestic names for the latter...?

The only one I have is the GK 3k. It's next to useless for knives because of the loading issue, though I don't find it a problem on razors really. And it feels lovely to use - I rather like it now for honing.

Yeah that's certainly my understanding - that the Kagayaki are SS, and Arato are Chosera. So perhaps the Fuji and Hayabusa are domestic names for the latter...?

The only one I have is the GK 3k. It's next to useless for knives because of the loading issue, though I don't find it a problem on razors really. And it feels lovely to use - I rather like it now for honing.
The Fuji 8k and the Hayabusa 4k are not just a different name, they are different stones. They should not be compared to the Pro (Arata) or the Kagayaki (superstones). The 4k is quite soft. The 8k is a little harder and leaves a finish above it’s rated grit imo.
They work grate as a set. The honing feedback of these stone are amazing imo. My 8k superstone is not used any more after i got the Fuji.

The Fuji 8k and the Hayabusa 4k are not just a different name, they are different stones. They should not be compared to the Pro (Arata) or the Kagayaki (superstones). The 4k is quite soft. The 8k is a little harder and leaves a finish above it’s rated grit imo.
They work grate as a set. The honing feedback of these stone are amazing imo. My 8k superstone is not used any more after i got the Fuji.

Excellent, thank you for clarifying that!

Do you know if they were created for anything specific in terms of sharpening? And are there any other grit levels in the range? I assume they’re SnG...?

Do you know if they were created for anything specific in terms of sharpening? And are there any other grit levels in the range? I assume they’re SnG...?
Gou Ken means roughly, "strong polish" I think. Which they do well for their grit rating. Definitely splash and go. Can't speak to the swarf loading because I don't really have a lot of synth experience. But I can rub most of it off under running water.

I have the 1k and 220 in the same series. I think they were created for the Japanese domestic marked. The 1k is quite hard and takes on a little water, but it is not a soaking stone.

Top Bottom