What's new

What did you hone today?

Finished the razor with a Coe Dota Creek then to a Dans Black.
30A44146-1E81-4DE6-BCAF-932F193AC7F6.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
So that surface is flat there? Crazy! You must pick me one of those up next time you hike out to the Valley of Death...
Yeah. The specks are inclusions (which were actually blue, before the stone got coated in oil), but they seem harmless, and you can’t feel them. I think they are the same stone, just a different colour.

There are still some unsmooth bits on the very outer edges, but they are
Chamfered below the flat surface of the hone. The face is perfectly smooth and flat.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
What is that stone? Pretty kewl.
It’s a sample of weird slate I collected in the wild, which I cut and lapped into a hone. It gives a very good finishing edge when used with oil.

It’s called the Blood Stone, because the slurry when I was cutting and lapping it looks just like blood.

The problem with being bored and not shaving on a given day, is I get ideas…so I took the EPBD that I just refinished after one shave, and thought…let me improve upon that mirror on the bevel near the edge with just a few spine leading strokes on the Jasper.

I accomplished the task at hand, but using the Nikon loupe I did see some very faint scratches when the light hit it just right and they bothered me. I am sure the shave would have been great, but this minuscule JNAT arrived in the mail.

I thought, that’s tiny and shouldn’t have been taken away from its mother…let’s try it as a Tomo Nagura. It’s probably around a 4.5ish in hardness, and it is super fine. The slurry that it initially made felt exactly like Escher slime produced from the green Thuringian rub stone I have in the cabinet.

It just felt beautiful honing upon the base stone with this slurry, and I am telling myself not to get too excited…but it just felt very right to me. The faint scratches were erased, everything looked excellent, and HHT was quite nice!

Vr

Matt

0FBBE76A-48F0-45A6-856E-9C741FB25E57.jpeg
EA62D239-615A-4483-943F-7F57DE2D60C8.jpeg
F21D3609-648E-44EA-9148-396982B1AE91.jpeg
B39FDAD6-C01D-4737-9445-E67D53D5A5B5.jpeg
DC547ECE-306C-49A3-B54A-97AAC2200A64.jpeg

I usually use Jnats and Coticules, but i feel like i need to try these Arkensas stones. If i buy a so called surgical black from Dan's (not directly, but through a vendor somewhere in Europe), is it hit or miss, or are they consistently good?
Arka definitely an underrated finisher IMO. I would try to get a vintage translucent somewhere if possible. Usually most of them are good though

I usually use Jnats and Coticules, but i feel like i need to try these Arkensas stones. If i buy a so called surgical black from Dan's (not directly, but through a vendor somewhere in Europe), is it hit or miss, or are they consistently good?

If from Dans they are pretty consistent. They do make for a very nice edge.

If from Dans they are pretty consistent. They do make for a very nice edge.
Thank you. I know there is probably allot of opinions of what type to chose. There is black, black translucent and translucent. The vendor seems to rate the translucent as a finer stone. Maybe i will just get the black translucent. I know they do not have a grit rating, but there must be a reason why the vendor rates one as finer then the other.

Thank you. I know there is probably allot of opinions of what type to chose. There is black, black translucent and translucent. The vendor seems to rate the translucent as a finer stone. Maybe i will just get the black translucent. I know they do not have a grit rating, but there must be a reason why the vendor rates one as finer then the other.

Dans rate their black as the finest. I have one and a true hard and the black seems to feel smoother. But I really doubt one could tell a difference in an edge between the three you listed.

Reactions: JPO
Yeah. The specks are inclusions (which were actually blue, before the stone got coated in oil), but they seem harmless, and you can’t feel them. I think they are the same stone, just a different colour.

There are still some unsmooth bits on the very outer edges, but they are
Chamfered below the flat surface of the hone. The face is perfectly smooth and flat.

Wild! I've never come across one even vaguely like that. Is it flakey and layered...?

Legion

Staff member
They're very cool! What was the crazy pattern arrowhead one like...?
Felt slightly coarser than the other two, maybe? I only played with it for a little while because the size and shape where not the best for a razor, but I have sealed it now, so I might have another look at it.

Top Bottom