What's new

What did you hone today?

Found time for honing two days in a row! OK, yesterday was a very short session.

Wade&Butcher Bow razor - the bow is the only mark. Scales are pretty warped right at the lead wedge, but straight until then (?) so it centers nicely. BST razor with highly polished blade and nicely tightened pins.

Full Naniwa progression:

Couple laps on S2 8k - not ready for prime time
Chosera 1000, about 70-80 laps until it felt right
S2 3k then 5k, 30 laps each
S2 8k, 40 laps
S2 12k, 50 laps, HHT looks good
60 laps each on the 3 diamond/balsa strops, HHT is great

2D25294B-C2BA-41A4-BC58-F7397DE2CBC2.jpeg

Great shave today. I seem to have nailed the honing session last night. Hopefully I finally cracked the code for this stone.

1. Rinse stone to clean surface. Raise a generous tomo slurry raised with a 1200 Atoma diamond nagura.
2. 10 laps
3. Turn stone 180 degrees, add water, 10 laps
4. Repeat #3 until the water is clear or the blade starts to stick
5. Rinse stone under running water to clear all remaining slurry, add a tiny speck of dish soap to cut the surface tension, 10 laps
6. Turn stone 180 degrees, add water, 10 more laps
7. 20ish laps on Flax Linen
8. Strop on Cordovan
9. 10 laps on 0.1 diamond pasted balsa. I like this hybrid edge. It just smooths things out a bit. Too many laps will make the edge harsh. 10 is about right.
10. Strop on Cordovan

Edge was magic. Sharp, smooth and resistance free shave. Very close result with zero irritation. Apart from being nearly entirely BBS, my skin felt like I hadn’t shaved at all.

The question now is if I am able to repeat these results…

EA06C6B7-8AF2-4716-9D11-885EFD960E32.jpeg

Great shave today. I seem to have nailed the honing session last night. Hopefully I finally cracked the code for this stone.

1. Rinse stone to clean surface. Raise a generous tomo slurry raised with a 1200 Atoma diamond nagura.
2. 10 laps
3. Turn stone 180 degrees, add water, 10 laps
4. Repeat #3 until the water is clear or the blade starts to stick
5. Rinse stone under running water to clear all remaining slurry, add a tiny speck of dish soap to cut the surface tension, 10 laps
6. Turn stone 180 degrees, add water, 10 more laps
7. 20ish laps on Flax Linen
8. Strop on Cordovan
9. 10 laps on 0.1 diamond pasted balsa. I like this hybrid edge. It just smooths things out a bit. Too many laps will make the edge harsh. 10 is about right.
10. Strop on Cordovan

Edge was magic. Sharp, smooth and resistance free shave. Very close result with zero irritation. Apart from being nearly entirely BBS, my skin felt like I hadn’t shaved at all.

The question now is if I am able to repeat these results…

View attachment 1304412

Nice Iwasaki,

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Testing out a 6x3 slate, sourced from an acquaintance of Glen Mercurio, @GsSixgun - allegedly a piece of Italian slate from a pool table.

It’s quite good, the initial test was ‘as recieved’ no lapping, burnishing, etc and on glycerin and water. The scratch patter shows a hazy finish with many fine and very uniform scratches. The shave was excellent with the exception of a little resistance on the chin ATG second pass. The shave was outstanding with no stubble returning for 10+ hours. I’m hoping that a little edge tweaking will resolve the ATG chin thing.

B0F3BF66-25F3-4D59-AE0C-88326561ADAB.jpeg

Mail call brought an iffy Berg and a rock. Razor had a pit-chip and some kind of edge anomaly in one area so I retreated to a 1.5k shapton pro for a bit. I struggled for a while and then decided to try adding a slice of kapton. For some reason things picked up from there (or I had just outlasted the preliminaries and it was a coincidence). Followed with some shapton glass and a 12k naniwa for a bit (that thing is NEVER flat and I'm very tired of lapping it), and then some time on the jnat with atoma slurry, to trace.

IMG_1354.jpeg

Normally I would hedge my bets with a balsa progression but I think I'll just take my chances in a few days when I get around to saying hello to this razor.

Honed up my daily carry, it was dull as a butter knife. It will easily shave arm hair now. Used the Bethesda Black to finish on.
04FBCB86-1DD1-475D-B219-C247ECC690CC.jpeg

Still getting to know my new Asagi Kiniro Kan, never played with a Jnat this hard before. Tried honing after raising slurry with a diamond plate. Results were good. Need to start to ask for advice on these really hard stones.

I'm just getting comfortable with my really hard stones too. So far, the secret seems to be:

1. You must have slurry
2. No, more slurry than that
3. If the slurry shows hints of breaking down, make more slurry.

Pure water, or a broken-down or insufficient slurry, on a truly hard stone, does not seem to lead anywhere good.

The HHT was pretty awesome off this process…the hair was seemingly springing off and away from the edge before I rested it on the apex…this shave is going to be a delight!
2FD68F55-B080-4FD2-BF5F-843601AA950F.jpeg
27A1690D-4197-4FC0-BA84-4F10AB2F7DCD.jpeg

Top Bottom