What's new

What did you hone today?

The Dovo on Botan, Tenjyou, koma, tomo. The naguras make the awasedo look small.

fullsizeoutput_211d.jpeg

Le Grelot on new to me Coticule,
Super fast and super fine.
Been very lucky with Coti's lately. I will stop trying my luck now that I have 4 killer Coti's
All produce edges as keen as my best Thury and every bit as smooth.

proxy.php

Fantastic shave!

I love coticules. I was honing a razor today and doing mid work on my La Dressante. I was going to finish on my Ozuku but the edge I was getting from the coticule was too good to pass on. I finished with dish soap on the coticule.

Well, last night.

20210627_095900.jpg

My grandpa's Geneva and a Gradwell I found in an antique store. Both needed some work. Grandpa's because I had made some mistakes on it while learning (riding up the stabilizer mostly). But I also discovered that the shoulder is a little high right at the heel so even if you avoid the stabilizer you'll have troubles. The Gradwell had a small pit in the edge I had to hone through. I actually started on 30 micron film to set the bevels and went down to .3 over paper. The Gradwell treetopped like mad at a 1/4 inch, and silently. In fact I didn't even think it was cutting hairs until I saw them flying off. Tried both this morning and they performed admirably but the Geneva was the winner on comfort against the grain.

Got to use a few new rocks today. Started by setting the bevel on a 600 DMT. Went to the Washita then on to the Dota Creek. After the Dota Creek I really think I could have shaved off it. It gave a pretty fine scratch pattern not unlike a coticule and the resulting HHT was fairly good, right off the stone.

But I didn’t stop there. Went on to the Dans black which further refined the edge to a near mirror edge.

The shave was super nice, no tug or pull.

I’ve used a Washita and a Black before so there was no real mystery there. This was the first time using a Jonathan Coe stone, the Dota Creek. I have to give it a two thumbs up. A very good bridge to the Black from the Washita.

Attachments

• 9EB47B98-B284-4F87-B65F-F2FFD27D0136.jpeg
    9EB47B98-B284-4F87-B65F-F2FFD27D0136.jpeg
    8.5 MB · Views: 21

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m getting the new Le Grelot Fleur d’Acier blade up and running. The images show the razor and blades with the new blade to the left or above. I removed the old blade by removing the screw of course, and tapping the back of the heel with a wooden spoon - this would be the choil if it were a knife. Don’t try to pull one of these out, and twisting might break the blade.The new blade fit in fine at the heel but not the toe, so I cleaned the groove in the spine at the toe with a few passes of 320 grit sandpaper, et voilà.

Always use tape on the spine - if the blades are not the exact same width, as in one has a little more wear than the other, you’ll be regrinding the spine every time that you change blades. And the spine on these are typically not hardened steel.

The next part is pretty standard to me, the edge looked decent so my progression was Shapton Glass 4k HR, 8k HC, and JNat. I was rewarded with silent HHT in or out.

4894BF2C-0733-4A46-AA2B-F32EE3DBDA26.jpeg
C7DB499F-DB6D-4E28-829A-EE92EC048159.jpeg

Just a touch up so I could experience a new stone. Wasn’t disappointed, the shave was very smooth.

Attachments

• 052FB6D2-724F-49D6-8D8A-9B1DA213669C.jpeg
    052FB6D2-724F-49D6-8D8A-9B1DA213669C.jpeg
    8 MB · Views: 13
HOTD 6-30-21

This honing session was inspired by Ludwig von Beethoven, who apparently like to use a narrow hone. My Dovo "Astrale" was feeling a bit crisp in shaving with it today, so I decided to refresh it on a new hone, a Sharpening Supplies 8" x 2" 3k/8k that I've had my eyes on. The hone itself felt somewhat gritty, and in using a long, sweeping X-stroke on both the 3k and the 8k sides, I noticed some micro-chipping off the 8k. Took me awhile to rework things in moving to the coticule, but the HHT was severing nicely after a few laps on a barber's strop. We'll see how the shave goes. May have to further things with the Vermont slate as pictured on the right afterwards.

Really felt like I was rewriting things with the coticule, rather than building on things. I'm used to moving to a coticule off a 1k/3k kitchen Suehiro, and the feel there is always oh-so-good, and the 3k polish surprisingly fine. A coticule always builds from there, rather than rewrites things. Next time, I think I will try the 3k/8k combo with up-and-down strokes rather than sweeping Xs, in an attempt to mitigate the micro-chipping.

HOTD-6-30-21.jpg

95381FEE-7119-4852-876E-265878C4EB31.jpeg

6/8 Genco Grant on my Ozuku Lv 5. I reworked the bevel at the 1K and then did the 5K. I performed an Asano progression with Tenjiou and Mejiro and finished on an Aiiwatani tomo. The edge isn’t HHT like some of my best but I’ll test shave with her. She could be a nice one still.

View attachment 1290142
6/8 Genco Grant on my Ozuku Lv 5. I reworked the bevel at the 1K and then did the 5K. I performed an Asano progression with Tenjiou and Mejiro and finished on an Aiiwatani tomo. The edge isn’t HHT like some of my best but I’ll test shave with her. She could be a nice one still.

The poor HHT had me irked so I took her back To the bevel set. Worked it hard. Then did 5K. I then went to my La Dressante coticule and did dilucot. Stropped 10/10 on Roo. Finished on my Ozuku again. Much improved edge!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Working a bit more on the ‘on and off’ project, a nice old Wosty frameback. I lost about a bevel width to small chips and in doing so straightened the edge a bit too much, so yesterday’s job was to make the edge profile closer to the spine profile. Mostly done, the heel could be sloped a bit more I think, but that’s just a few minutes work.

320 DMT, Chosera 600, Shapton Glass 2k HR, SG 6k HC, JNat finisher.

5B735F9B-F2D8-4CA1-BB1C-7DDB9F47EE3F.jpeg

I was going to hone the Bull, but I decided to break out 125, and run it through a full JNAT progression. HHT was exactly as one would want…silent and effortless…bevel near the edge looks pristine under the 10x loupe…looking forward to the shave test later today.

C4712242-A094-4F76-AC1B-B8980AE976DB.jpeg
0997FD77-E7E1-4B0C-A23D-C22D8A6554CE.jpeg

Last edited:
I was going to hone the Bull, but I decided to break out 125, and run it through a full JNAT profession. HHT was exactly as one would want…silent and effortless…bevel near the edge looks pristine under the 10x loupe…looking forward to the shave test later today.

View attachment 1290269View attachment 1290270

Is that Koma, Matt? If so, you hound dog!!!! Looking good my friend. I’m enjoying this adventure again. Honing daily and getting lovely edges from my coticules and Ozuku.

Top Bottom