What's new

What did you hone today?

Been spending the morning dealing with this union spike that has been on my desk over a year. Seemed hardly used but the person managed to ding up the edge something awful and upturn the toe. They also lightly kissed one of the facets of the tang on a stone. Been reeling everything in at the same time.
20210321_073458.jpg
20210321_073534.jpg

Kamisori gave up!
After several attempts on Arks I came to the idea that she desires her compatriots. Finally it passes HHT in both directions on the whole length of the blade.
Progression: DMT 800, Igarashi, Shinden Suita and finally Tsushima Ocean Blue.
proxy.php

proxy.php

@xuzxuz as you can see this is a tiny piece of Tsushima, therefore I use quite seldom. Mainly when I need to get very keen edge and before I failed to succeed on Arks (surgical or translucent). This is the case - it was my 3rd attempt for this kamisori. Watch out - there is a significant difference between Tsushima Black and Tsushima Blue. I've got tsushima black brick as well (I will be selling it out) for the middle progression. But Tsushima Blue comes at the end. Still they sell Tsushima Blue in different grades of softness - mine is VH.

Kamisori gave up!
After several attempts on Arks I came to the idea that she desires her compatriots. Finally it passes HHT in both directions on the whole length of the blade.
Progression: DMT 800, Igarashi, Shinden Suita and finally Tsushima Ocean Blue.
proxy.php

proxy.php
I have also come across a couple Kamisori's that didn't want anything to do with Arks.

So got a new Naniwa Professional 3k to replace my Naniwa Super Stone 3k, just flattened it with my Atoma 400, man thus is a hard stone, took my 25 minutes to get it flat.

Then a little test hone, took 1 of my test razors a Gold Dollar which had a Jnat edge, killed the edge and reset the bevel with the Professional 3k, this is good cutter.

Then I tried to do a 1 Stone hone with my natural combo coticule so raised a slurry and did quite a few halfstrokes then made new slurry repeated and began diluting with x strokes.

Finished under running water.

Then the shave, it was the best 2 pass shave I had with a coticule edge I made myself a comfortable shave but a shave after which you can shave the next day . So not as sharp as 1 of my Jnats edges, but a very comfy shave.
First time coming off with a good edge with only the coticule, but I will still need a few more tries to get more consistency with this stone.

Just reporting,
First eBay find, newbie, ( only second attempt at honing and restoring ),,,, razor was not honed when purchased .
I must credit forum members helping me and the following stones
Shapton glass 2k,,6k HC,,, 8k Snow White ( lobster),
Shobu Mizu Asagi stone, with obtaining a marvelous edge,,, super sharp and extremely butter smooth
Zero irritation after shave and complete BBS

Tested edge against few other edges
I surprised myself at the edge I was able to create both my attempts at honing
Before my big head explodes, lol, I must give credit to above stones and especially the Shapton glass and #1, the Shobu Mizu stone, this stone is simply a marvelous amazing stone, I’m lucky to own it
Any stone that comes with it own box is truly special

Cape 35 Meiji 100 Year Anniversary Japanese Straight Razor

Ps giving all above stones credit especially the Shapton Glass stones and shobu mizu asagi
What a joy to be able to create a marvelous edge on your razors

Cheers
proxy.php

proxy.php

I have not used my Eschers for a while so I thought why not try old Sheffield steel on a YG Escher. I have few YG's but they seem rather soft, this one is different. It's dual color like the Barber Delights are and the feeling/hardness is pretty much the same. The razor was honed on a very fine and hard Jnat but the edge kept coming a bit crispier than I prefer. Slurry diluted to almost water on the Escher tamed the edge and the shave was as comfortable as it gets. I judge my razors on the left cheek where I have to go ATG in 4 different direction to get complete BBS and it passed.

fullsizeoutput_20a6.jpeg

Top Bottom