What's new

What did you hone today?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
These 3 razors were part of a set I purchased with the intention to practice and tinker with. They all have their own issues, geometry, previous ware and what looks like buffing damage and metal burn. It has been rewarding working through the challenges and learning as I go. Just putting in the time, seeing how things develop has helped me see when things aren’t working. That’s valuable moving forward.
433DF7A2-417F-48E8-BD97-CB0960EF3460.jpeg

4944C027-D601-4103-9505-A4ED44E5E846.jpeg

Second razor off the new Jnat!

I learned a lesson the hard way tonight. After my recent success with the RA I got cocky. I took a screaming sharp diamond edge and thought I’d just go to town and put a nice natural finish on it. I whipped up a light slurry and got busy. Broke it down, diluted slowly and finished on water. Everything was going well or so I thought. Then I stropped and tested the edge with a HHT. Nothing... And I mean nothing. Would not cut a hair. Would not tree top a thing. Dull, dull, dull. I kept going on the stone but it was in vain. No amount of work on this finisher was going to bring the edge back.

What I think happened was that the suction on the edge caused the edge to stick to the stone and I lifted the spine first by accident. I’m not used to the sticky suction surface you get on this kind of super flat, super smooth surface. I got the edge back but had to do a full film progression. Got it crazy sharp on the balsas and then back to the stone. Minimal slurry, light touch, super careful on the turns. Maybe fourty laps.

All looks good now. Tree topping like a champ, solid HHT and a hazy natural bevel under the loupe. Looking forward to seeing how she goes tomorrow morning.

This experience reinforces my advise to starters. You need the tools to do a progression and get yourself out of trouble. In theory you can maintain a razor forever with a finisher and a strop. IF everything goes perfectly and you never make a mistake. Beginners make mistakes. You can fix almost all mistakes on a SR if you have a basic set of tools. If you don’t, your on the sidelines going no where.

I've found that when the stone starts getting sticky, you need to make a bit of slurry. Or switch to another stone for that razor. Sticking makes it hard to execute a smooth stroke.

Took an 1876 Gold Medal Sam Osborn & Co to a finish on a Lakeside I bought since their prices went down a lot lately and I wanted to see if it performs the same as the last one I owned/reviewed or if maybe there's some variance in the stones.

Friday will be my fun honing day. Will be whipping up 4 razors to tester finishes for the finisher shootout.

Attachments

• 7D83F565-A3AC-4094-8BFB-B01989494F9E.jpeg
    7D83F565-A3AC-4094-8BFB-B01989494F9E.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 19
Been a little bit busy in life but things have been great. Been giving the mk4 a break and shaving with my PRC and Filli 8/8ths. Enjoying the spice of life and seeing everyone use their Thiers Issard razor I figured I would break out my French razor.

I believe it was a grelot blank that was finished by Thiers Issard. It is in pretty mint condition and it has some honewear so I don't think it was nos. Played it safe and used 2 layers of kapton tape. It cut hairs somewhat nicely so I figured bevel was done I just wasn't sure where the edge was. Little bit of DMT slurry all the way to 5 strokes of clear water and the edge is screaming.

Always feels weird honing one type of steel for awhile and then honing a different type. Will shave with it tonight

20201029_100646.jpg

Top Bottom