What's new

What did you hone today?

Wacker Old Sheffield...one of two brothers with a Dan’s Primitive Cut Translucent Arkansas Stone as the final finisher!

Vr

Matt
F8BB3E70-1480-493C-8716-8B255801D16B.jpeg

I'm going to order some gold dollars today to practice with on a Norton 4/8k. A 66 and a 208 I think should so nicely. What do you boys think?

I just felt like sharpening something today. There’s been an abused GD66 sitting in my garage since I entered the competition awhile back. I’d ruined it trying re-grind the blade on a belt sander., I pinned it into some practice scales that I learned to pin on.

The goal was just to have a garage razor to cut things with. But, I was bored and hadn’t honed anything lately. I set the bevel and played with a beater barber’s hone for awhile. Well, that old mis-shapened razor was not easy to hone.

But the edge looked promising so I finished it on a Jnat. Not wanting to hurt my good stops, I stopped on my oldest strop.
I just finished a passable shave. Now back to the garage with it.

I do wish I could remember how I did the rustic jumping. That has some potential.

7DDE1502-69BB-449A-A177-0633E90FF06E.jpeg

E5DFE75F-A143-4D94-B1C6-8BEE988A0433.jpeg

Just polished up the Heljestrand MK4
so it was dull and decided this was a great opportunity to get the Yea-Botan some work. Then the full progression all on the very, very, hard, Ozuku. From there I went to the super hard Ozuku (a little more narrow than I like for M.S. nagura) with my ultra fine Tomo nagura. And since I had them out I figured touch up the Manaslu M500 and bring it back into the rotation. I put the engstrom frameback to bed to make room.
image.jpg

Test razor on the first of four stones graciously gifted to me by Alan (Alum of Potash).
A Vintage Vermont slate, a mottled Vermont slate, a modern Vermont slate(with blue dot) and a Red Vermont from New York side of the state.
Today, a Vintage piece of Vermont slate.
Each time the razor will be reset to 8k synthetic.
A very, very nice shave off this stone. Remarkable really.
I'll look forward to the coming shaves moving the razor up one on the stones in the photo.

proxy.php

Simple gorgeous stones. Thank you Alan.

Gents,

My suspected Escher Barbers Gem is moving through the system faster than expected, and it may arrive tomorrow!

So I figured that I had better get cracking! I took this 1st Generation Filarmonica 14 Doble Temple through a full progression from killing the edge, setting the bevel, through to finishing on the Jasper under water.

There is no scratch pattern, and it is ultra sharp/shave ready. I am excited to see what the escher does to the bevel near the edge, and how it changes the feel of the shave.

Vr

Matt
87581519-336B-42EF-88DD-85162FC8F786.jpeg

Test razor moved over to the mottled Vermont slate.

proxy.php

Another excellent shave, very smooth and keen.
I am more than a little surprised that this common slate is such good honing material.
So far I could shave off either of the first two stones forever and be quite content. They are that good.

Reactions: CCR
Surprisingly good!
I have my doubts about the Red one but the first two are very good hones.
Apparently the one with the blue dot next is one of the better ones but I will have to wait till Thurs. to find out.
Really pretty stones as well.

Finished this old thing with about sixty very light laps on the Escher Barbers Gem. It will be fun figuring this new to me rock out!

Shave test later today!

Happy Thursday!

Vr

Matt
4FA85ABF-C64B-4294-B02A-E3FBCD4F815A.jpeg

Filarmonica 13 Novodur on new to me Escher BG!

The Yellow Green Thuringian “rub stone” beneath might have been over kill since it’s big enough to finish on...I was messing around with it last night just to see...also made a very nice slurry on the BG before the final finishing laps with just water.
B4F923FE-156C-42F1-ADD3-8A949699BC64.jpeg

Test razor on the first of four stones graciously gifted to me by Alan (Alum of Potash).
A Vintage Vermont slate, a mottled Vermont slate, a modern Vermont slate(with blue dot) and a Red Vermont from New York side of the state.
Today, a Vintage piece of Vermont slate.
Each time the razor will be reset to 8k synthetic.
A very, very nice shave off this stone. Remarkable really.
I'll look forward to the coming shaves moving the razor up one on the stones in the photo.

proxy.php

Simple gorgeous stones. Thank you Alan.

was very close to buying a green mountain slate with slurry stone.

camo

Top Bottom