What's new

What did you hone today?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Do you mean a Lune stone rather than a Special Stone? And by the way, that looks like a nice kilim rug underneath.

I came to the conclusion it is a SS due to the glittery silver color, ghost stamp image with the XTR barely visible on the side and the feedback of other members. If you, having a bit more experience with French stones then the average rock rubber feel I erred, would like you feedback. The rug I thought was a generic Persian rug. Never used the word “Kilim” It came from the estate sale of a retired Chaplain, Colonel in the Air Force. The family told me he acquired it in Iran in the 70s. It's very thin and nicely constructed at 10 x 16 feet

3CFEBBCE-4489-4C98-9F7B-97A663C92BA1.jpeg

I'm no expert on Special Stones and Lunes, but I have only seen the Lune stones cut broadly like that, and with the enlarged chamfering on the sides. The Special Stones have been cut narrower, without such chamfering. But, yes, the Special Stones tend to glitter more from my limited experience, and as they were both made by the same company, perhaps there was a little bit of crossover there?

As for the rug, the patterning looks like a small kilim rug I used to have, and it too was thin. It was made in Turkey, and a friend had brought it back for me from the former Soviet Union in the late '80s, where she had visited the Black Sea. I looked on Wikipedia, and the article on kilim rugs said that they originate from areas in Turkey, Azerbaijan, and Iran, so maybe there's a trans-national cultural thing going on there. Thanks for the second pic.

729A833C-98CF-457E-9215-7D100EFDC2E1.jpeg
729A833C-98CF-457E-9215-7D100EFDC2E1.jpeg
Going through the razor cases I recalled one of my Brian Brown blades was in need of a tune up. Turns out the question was “where the !$&@? did this rust come from????” I mean real rust colored RUST!! Right across the edge. Mucho no bueno. No other razor showed any symptoms of anything bad.
So....DMT 600 to Naniwa SS 1k 3k 5k 8k 12k...50 or so laps on a Raisor Sabre horsehide strop, a small amount of Flitz and a Q-Tip. All is well. Mystery remains.

I always enjoy this thread, but have never contributed yet (as far as I can remember).

Touch up on a Nippel (Borneff 64), on my La Nouvelle Veine. Definitely a bit more mellow than its last touch up on my La Verte, but still a might fine shave this morning.

Attachments

• LNV_Borneff.jpg
    LNV_Borneff.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 15
Going through the razor cases I recalled one of my Brian Brown blades was in need of a tune up. Turns out the question was “where the !$&@? did this rust come from????” I mean real rust colored RUST!! Right across the edge. Mucho no bueno. No other razor showed any symptoms of anything bad.
So....DMT 600 to Naniwa SS 1k 3k 5k 8k 12k...50 or so laps on a Raisor Sabre horsehide strop, a small amount of Flitz and a Q-Tip. All is well. Mystery remains.

I feel your pain with the rust on the razor out of no where. Just nailed a great jnat edge on one of my razors not to long ago to find rust on the bevel the week after. Just took the 5k to get them out then back to the jnat but I was not happy having to hone it up again.

I always enjoy this thread, but have never contributed yet (as far as I can remember).

Touch up on a Nippel (Borneff 64), on my La Nouvelle Veine. Definitely a bit more mellow than its last touch up on my La Verte, but still a might fine shave this morning.

Very nice looking stone and razor

View attachment 928037 View attachment 928037 Going through the razor cases I recalled one of my Brian Brown blades was in need of a tune up. Turns out the question was “where the !$&@? did this rust come from????” I mean real rust colored RUST!! Right across the edge. Mucho no bueno. No other razor showed any symptoms of anything bad.

I to had a BB razor awhile back that had some rust on the tang and heel, it was very light but still rust so I proceeded to initially use Flitz but in the end I took some #0000 steel wool and did a light buff and then used Flitz on the whole blade and rehoned form 4K to finish

Haven't been by in a while.
Back went out yesterday, so all I can do is sit or lie uncomfortably. Never let a crisis go to waste!:p
Spending the time honing and playing around on stones today.
Reset the bevel on this Gold Dollar (can't remember the model designation) on my King 1k, went through a progression of Norton 4k, King 6k,Norton 8k, and finish on the Coe Whetstones Arkansas Grey (Limestone and Silica. No Chert or Novaculite). So far I'm liking what I'm seeing. Leaves an almost Jnat-y kind of haze, with a bit more of a polish, and some very fine scratches here and there if you turn it in the light right.
I think it's gonna shave like a scalded ape, but we will see, if I can drag my butt in front of a sink this evening.
IMG_2336.JPG

newb hone
dovo special
dovo best quality

lapped stones
cheap amazon carborundum 3000/8000 stone (feels grittier)
then went to 1 micron posing cloth on top of paddle strop, it was a misorder i wanted film
then leather paddle strop

the project just started out as a set bevel
then i kept going with what i had
got them shave-able, no HHT, no tree topping yet, i think its the best i can get, with limited tools

i'm pleased ... but now i want harder stone, and waiting for film to arrive

Cutting Yellow/Green Thuringian slurry stones from a sacrificial hone, lacquering tomos & finger stones and drying larger lacquered stones (with a few Swati barber hones in the foreground) -
1 cutting tomos and slurry stones.png
2 lacquered stones.jpg
3 TOMO LAC FINAL.png

Top Bottom