What's new

What did you hone today?

BOTD - W&B regrind.
proxy.php

+1 on the bastard. They work great for Axes and machete. I have to say though the fastest method I have for getting to good steal on one is the work sharp Ken Onion edition. You can use it just like a small belt grinder. I was using my custom machete and chopping in some old stumps that were regrowing like a shrub and some fool who did work on my deck had thrown a black metal bar in the mix and it looked just like part of the shrub till I hit it and dented the edge. The bastard file was taking a really long time to get it out so I did the work sharp and it was gone in seconds with a nice new edge. The thing is great for bringing old axes and hatches and what not back from the dead. Then the fun of the stones can begin.

As someone who works a lot with surveyors I use a machete/brush axe a decent amount. Usually only thing I use to sharpen them for a day of surveying is a bastard file. Gets the tools sharp enough and quickly.

I tend to use my Sheffield billhooks for those jobs. They're pretty soft steel and a full flat grind, so an old two sided crystolon & india stone and some paste works fine on the edge. After I first get them I never bother trying to get chips out.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Thanks fellas. I thought the atoma 400 would be up to the job, but I didn’t get anywhere with it. I’ll try the file out in a day or two. I’m working on one now trying to see if I can get it face shaving sharp without pastes.

David

A107CDAE-2697-438B-9A8E-2C643B86312D.jpeg

I did a fairly long progression this afternoon on my hunting knife. When I finished with the stones I stropped with Keith’s white paste on balsa, then plain leather. This edge is an absolute screamer.

Cool blade, nice progression. No doubt it screams.

About the axe - Atoma plates are not good for honing/sharpening - DMTs have them beat there. But even so, a Mill Bastard is going to cut way way faster. Mine is long so I can use two hands, it helps me focus pressure.
If it's possible, I would clamp the head so the haft is parallel to the board - leaving the edge to be sharpened hanging over far enough so you can use the file without obstructions. Wear gloves. Heavy gloves.

David

Thanks, Keith. I’m used to touching up axes but removing chips is new to me. I will give the file a try over the weekend.

164590FD-39CA-4D74-AFF5-670F5A32409F.jpeg

Few blades needed a tune up today.
Clockwise from 6:00
Dovo 5/8 Sunday Shaver
Portland Razor Co. 6/8 Kraken
Brian Brown 7/8
All got a healthy workout on the Zulu Grey with a 50/50 Ballistol-water solution. You guys really should give that a try....like maybe on Welsh slate or Arkansas stones.

View attachment 926692
Few blades needed a tune up today.
Clockwise from 6:00
Dovo 5/8 Sunday Shaver
Portland Razor Co. 6/8 Kraken
Brian Brown 7/8
All got a healthy workout on the Zulu Grey with a 50/50 Ballistol-water solution. You guys really should give that a try....like maybe on Welsh slate or Arkansas stones.
Ballistol is magic stuff - if only the smell were better...

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I used for the first time Ballistol/water on a Special Stone OFGR to refresh a tugging Fili 13. Normally I would use oil but the Ballistol gave up a laser edge on this stone.

76891B7A-4140-48F0-9B94-3BD9702E66F3.jpeg

David

BE987C1D-0718-4C2D-A608-3930C3A4D004.jpeg
View attachment 926584
I did a fairly long progression this afternoon on my hunting knife. When I finished with the stones I stropped with Keith’s white paste on balsa, then plain leather. This edge is an absolute screamer.
I showed this knife to a guy that I work with and he asked if I could Hone his hunting knife and get it that sharp. I said sure, and here’s what he brought me....

No clue what I’m up against here, but here we go.

Top Bottom