What's new

What did you hone today? -Knife and tool edition

Legion

Staff member
Beautiful job Sir, that's no 5 minute touch up.
Hopefully the owner uses it with a little bit more finesse.

What did you use to do all the heavy grinding? Stones or belts?

Cheers! Yes, not a quick one at all. Repairing and sharpening I probably could've done in 30-40 mins, with a polishing run it probably doubled that.

I have done stuff like that just one stones when restoring yanagi for myself and stuff, and it takes hours and hours. But for that one yesterday, as you guessed, the heavy work was done on a 120 belt followed by this thing, which is proving to be a very useful bit of work equipment:

IMG-6052 (1).jpg

That's a 400-ish grit, water cooled wheel, that spins horizontally rather than vertically. It's extremely good for thinning and bevel work, because it doesn't force concavity into something like a vertical wheel would, and you can be a touch more delicate than belts.

Took me a little while to fully get my head around how best I liked to use it, but it's actually really good now that I've got the knack.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Cheers! Yes, not a quick one at all. Repairing and sharpening I probably could've done in 30-40 mins, with a polishing run it probably doubled that.

I have done stuff like that just one stones when restoring yanagi for myself and stuff, and it takes hours and hours. But for that one yesterday, as you guessed, the heavy work was done on a 120 belt followed by this thing, which is proving to be a very useful bit of work equipment:

View attachment 1625992

That's a 400-ish grit, water cooled wheel, that spins horizontally rather than vertically. It's extremely good for thinning and bevel work, because it doesn't force concavity into something like a vertical wheel would, and you can be a touch more delicate than belts.

Took me a little while to fully get my head around how best I liked to use it, but it's actually really good now that I've got the knack.
Next time you have a knife that could use some time on that wheel, a video would be pretty nifty.

Nice bit of Kit, can see this being awesome when some serious thinning is required or putting on a full flat grind.
Edge leading or trailing on this beast??

Nice bit of Kit, can see this being awesome when some serious thinning is required or putting on a full flat grind.
Edge leading or trailing on this beast??

That was one of the things it took me a little while to get used to. It only goes in one direction, and trying to alternate leading and trailing is a bit awkward, so I actually end up doing all leading on the right hand side of the knife, and all trailing on the left. Leading is better and easier to judge what you're doing.

Wouldn't be ideal for final sharpening obviously, but for the initial stages and material removal doesn't matter so much.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I picked up a "swing fork" head lately to replace a vintage Italian garden tool (the "Magna Grecia" hoe). Because shipping would have otherwise been about four times as much, I got it as a head knowing that I'd need to dig through my stock of hardwood handle stock and make a handle for it.

Picked out a chunk of maple today, cut back the checked end to clean wood, cut off about five feet. Now I need to get the bark off and start thinning. A good job for a mocotaugan or "crooked knife." Which of course was pretty dull. One of the little benefits of living with a stone quarry is that I have some nice tabular blue fine-grained stone and some green stuff that's a little coarser. Spritz a little light oil on a bluestone, and got a good edge on the mocotaugan. Worked on that for a while with pauses for additional touchup honing, and will continue in the coming days.

O.H.

What do you think of the daovua cleaver? Is it a heavier chopping design or more of a slicer?
Good eye! I dig it. I use it for slicing, dicing, chopping. If a knife can't do everything I want it on a prep day or on the line, i don't want it.

This one is one of the leaf spring blades. For the price I feel it punches hard above it's price point. Sure there are over grinds but they don't effect the edge. This one is softer steel, the edge dings up depending on what you are cutting but it will still cut like they aren't there.

The end of my handle broke where they had glued a spacer and only tacked it with a brass pin. I drilled it out a touch to get a very short piece of dowel in and epoxied it all together.

I had one of the 210mm gyutos. It was decent too. Someone wanted it more than me and I sold it to them. They love it.

I made alot of food over Easter for the family plus chopped open a few coconuts, these two needed some loving. Used a new to me Pike No1 with a barely recognizable label. This No1 is at 2.25sg and is almost indistinguishable from alot of newer Soft Arkansas stones I've used, as in not blazing fast, pretty fine, and OK but not as wow factor for speed as some of my other washita are.

20230410_183625.jpg
20230410_183640.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Today was sharpening day, not a honing day. I used my new Sharpenng Supplies 400, 1000, and 3000 on my old carbon steel Sabatiers and my little Case physician's knife. As always, the Sabs, always get quite sharp and honed regularly, took only a few minutes for two chefs, one utility, and three parers, two of which are the pointy little Nogents. I considered stopping at 1000 but went on to 3000 just for fun. The Case, however, took much longer. You would expect stainless to take longer than the soft carbon Sabatier used half a century (and more) ago, but I have to say that pesky little pocket knife is hard to get extremely sharp.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Staying with some friends who it turns out have quite a nice (albeit extremely blunt) set Pallares Solsona. And whenever visiting anyone I pretty much always pack a Washita, because it’ll do anything and everything you throw at it.

View attachment 1531849
That is a very thoughtful gesture. Those are lovely knives and deserve to be kept sharp. I assume you tried them out. Their rounded shape has always intrigued me. If I ever got a more rounded knife, those would be on my list ahead of the German offerings.

That is a very thoughtful gesture. Those are lovely knives and deserve to be kept sharp. I assume you tried them out. Their rounded shape has always intrigued me. If I ever got a more rounded knife, those would be on my list ahead of the German offerings.

Funnily enough I’m actually staying with the same friends this weekend, who I haven’t seen since that post last year. So will be giving the same knives a touchup later.

Also did a fairly full on repair job of a different one of theirs yesterday:

190E0D7F-7650-4293-A491-91DDCFBDF96C.jpeg

C6EADF3F-9293-4948-80CB-5FC7F8B5ABA2.jpeg

Top Bottom