What's new

What did you guys do to your razor collection? since this subforum is full of beards.

I started shaving with a double edge about 9yrs ago, and like most guys here at B&B i hunted for razors every chance i got. And i ended up with about 50 razors, mostly double and a few single edge.

About 5yrs ago i tried the winter beard challenge (started with movember) and the wife liked the beard, and i haven't gone back since (i still trim it and shape it,). Even when i started with the double edge, i kept a full goatee/van dyke/circle beard. and just shaved the sides. But now that i have a full beard i just use a shavette to shave the upper cheek and neck area.

As the years have passed, i kept growing the collection here and there. I actually haven't shaved with a DE in many yrs. They're all packed in boxes, and i don't know what to do with them. I have some really nice razors too, I could sell them and make decent cash. Or i could keep them and give them to my future kids.

What did you guys do with your collection?

I still use my razors and really enjoy them, as well as all the brushes, soaps and such. I keep by cheek line clear with a straight razor, and my lower neck beard with a DE. Best of all worlds. Beard, brushes, razors and soapy things. I suppose a PIF could be in order, as with such a small surface area to shave I probably have enough supplies to get me through for a millennia.
19A166FE-AAF8-42FD-B5C8-AECED2AD98A3.jpeg

My beard has gotten smaller as time goes on. In fact, I technically don't have a beard, anymore.

But, for most of my life, I was bearded. Thirty years ago, I had a Garibaldi. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to reshape it into a regular full beard. When I got a city job, I cut it down further into a neatly-trimmed circle beard.

It stayed that way until January when I was involved in a workplace accident that left me with various broken bones, and ligament and muscle tears. I was unable to shave and my beard went wild. This month, after regaining some mobility, I got the bright idea to turn my beard into a horseshoe moustache. I'm blaming the heavy-duty pain medication for that. :letterk1:

However, it has grown on me (literally) and I'll probably keep it. I'm not worried about what people at work say ...because I'm the boss. :001_tongu

So, to answer the question, my razors see much more use now that I have less facial hair.

Even with a beard, I still have need for a razor to keep my neck clean and tidy. That said, I think it would be neat to pass a few along to your kids. Even if they never used them, it would be a a great memento.

I keep my collection and use the razors. I maintain what is known as a, "scruffy goat" (scruff on the cheeks and a full circle beard) but I still keep my neck shaved.

I shave my neck and cheeks and the top half of my moustache. The hairs directly under my nose tend to curl straight back into my nostrils so I whack them.

I still have a couple DEs for keeping the neckline and cheeks nice and clean. And I still enjoy the fragrant creams and aftershaves. A shower and shave still scrub away a rough day.

An interesting thing happened. When I switched to a DE, my cheeks and neck have never been cleaner. I think it has to do with that I have a much more exact feel for where the blade is on my face.

I started shaving with a double edge about 9yrs ago, and like most guys here at B&B i hunted for razors every chance i got. And i ended up with about 50 razors, mostly double and a few single edge.

About 5yrs ago i tried the winter beard challenge (started with movember) and the wife liked the beard, and i haven't gone back since (i still trim it and shape it,). Even when i started with the double edge, i kept a full goatee/van dyke/circle beard. and just shaved the sides. But now that i have a full beard i just use a shavette to shave the upper cheek and neck area.

As the years have passed, i kept growing the collection here and there. I actually haven't shaved with a DE in many yrs. They're all packed in boxes, and i don't know what to do with them. I have some really nice razors too, I could sell them and make decent cash. Or i could keep them and give them to my future kids.

What did you guys do with your collection?
Sell them ... cheap ... so that you and your kids will regret it later. There are those who enjoy shaving and rotate thru their razor collection for enjoyment. And ther, there are those (you?) who more grudgingly shave simply out of necessity.

Well, with my Van Dyke I have a lot of real estate to still shave, so . . .

I would keep even if not though, I might decide to change my hairdo in the future and then have a need for the razors.

Head and neck for me. I probably don't have as many DEs as the OP but I probably have at least 10 old Gillettes that I haven't even tried out yet.

I grew out my beard about three years ago and since then, I've sported a long, full one. The other day, I buzzed it all off on an impulse. Pulled the old DEs, brush, soap, etc. out of the cupboard. I'll probably grow the beard back later, but it's kind of fun to be shaving again.

I don't have a beard but a good friend has not shaved in over ten years. Plus, even though he was largely bald, whatever hair he had was very long. Last week I was in the grocery store when someone called my name. I looked at the individual but did not recognize him. His head, face, and neck were 100% clean. He looked so much younger (he is 68 years old). I asked him why the change. He said he was on a dating site and got no response. He decided to change his appearance and he said it worked! However, he expressed no interest in DE or traditional shaving.

Keep some of your gear , you never know when you my want to be clean shaven again. Even if only for a change for awhile. I have gone back and forth many times.

I have several razors stored away. I use them to clean up my neck and my cheeks. My huge collection of soaps and creams is a problem though. Everything is so old I've considered tossing a lot of stuff and keeping a few for when i do have to shave my beard off for a job or something. I use shaving oil most of the time anyway so I can see where I'm shaving and not mess up the edges of my beard.

Top Bottom