What's new

What did you do differently today? (aka Technique Of The Day)

I was working on barely touching my face with the razor at a good angle and, “Let the razor do the work!” Great shave!! :a29:

Glad to hear it worked well for you. I've been trying to ride the cap more. The biggest problem I've been having with that is raised freckles. Been scalping the tops off of them. Sharp blade though, Don't even feel it. Just see the red spots.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Tried using my left hand with the Dovo shavette today. Totally farcical! I didn't cut myself (though I nearly did with the right hand - no blood loss, but there was a definite snag) but I just couldn't control it at all. I actually completely missed my face a few times. :lol:

At one point the angle was too steep, I could both feel it and see it in the mirror, so I went to reduce the angle and it got steeper. I threw a colourful annunciation at the moron in the mirror, and went the other way - or thought I did, but the razor was now perpendicular. That was just one of a few times where I had to stop, position and orientate the razor with the right hand, and just try to let the left move it.

I could swear there's a wiring fault between the brain and my left hand! Useless!

Put more effort into trying to stretch the skin on my excessively jowly neck, and first time using a PPI Gillette Platinum.

The end result was three nicks that took a lot of time with the styptic pencil to quit bleeding. Clearly I need more practice. But, my cheeks came out perfect and no irritation.

I got a 59¢ bowl over the weekend at target, is fair size and is somewhat rough on the inside, best lather I have produced in a long time, I have lather on a smooth bowl and face lathering mostly, I obviously heard that a rough/ridged bowl would make a difference, and when I saw how chip it was I thought, what tha’ heck, lets try it! best 59¢ I have spent so far!

I got a 59¢ bowl over the weekend at target, is fair size and is somewhat rough on the inside, best lather I have produced in a long time, I have lather on a smooth bowl and face lathering mostly, I obviously heard that a rough/ridged bowl would make a difference, and when I saw how chip it was I thought, what tha’ heck, lets try it! best 59¢ I have spent so far!
I still can't bring myself to go back to mug it bowl lathering after going to face lathering. Today I tried J-hooking on my neck. I think I have it down on my left side but not quite on the right.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Double loaded with the lather today. A local "melt and pour" soap on the brush, and Palmolive stick on the face. Nice lather, and very nice skin feel post shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to widen the tache.... and I keep failing.

I know it's going to take months for the new growth to catch up with the old, but the outer edges of the current tache are about 50mm long, so they'll mask it for a while.

The problem is the autopilot keeps kicking it. One careless swipe, and I'm back to square one again. It's REALLY difficult to NOT follow the usual route, and to intentionally miss areas that you're so used to shaving.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Tried to “touch up” my chin. Ended up with 3 weepers for my effort.

I face lather, but tried bowl lathering this morning. I find bowl lather too airy and less slick.

More power to you if you like bowl lathering, but it isn’t for me.

Cheers.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I short stroked today, very carefully on each and every pass. It enabled me to get a perfect irritation free shave from a blade that I would have otherwise discarded. Tedious process, but great result.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Aimless,

Thanks. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of this one before.

It's one of the buzz terms that crops up occasionally on the internet. It can be quite useful too. In areas on my neck, I sometimes do a kind of alternating C shaped stroke in areas which are not behaving as they usually do.

Effectively I do a C shaped curve, then a reversed C shortly overlapping it, then another C shape overlapping that, and so on. If like mine, your beard map is not static, and you're prone to growth going off in all directions, this approaches trouble areas from several directions, increasing the chances of hitting everything pretty close to against the grain.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Partial rinse before doing all the touch ups on residual slickness only today. (with one of the much maligned rice oil/olive oil & clay craft soaps, that everyone seems to hate, but me)

Top Bottom