What's new

What Did You Cook Tonight ???

Alright....let's hear what you cooked tonight or did you go out ???

or did you bake a cake or cookies....

Please everything you list be LOW CALORIE !!!!! :lol:

mark tssb

well tonight...

i baked talipia fish with zucchini, squash, broccoli an donion in a italian dreesing and oldbay sauce....quick and easy...

then i baked low fat chocolate chips cookies....i guess they were good, the kids had thier mouths shoved full of them...

so what did you have ???

mark tssb

We had left-over chinese. But when I cook I usually cook French so low-fat is out.

One of my wife's favorites is chicken breasts is cream and aromatic vegetables (diced: onions, carrots and celery). It is prepared by sweating the diced vegetables in clarified butter then rolling the seasoned breasts in the hot butter and then baking them covered (and with buttered waxpaper on top of them) for about 6 to 8 minutes at 400. Finally the breasts are removed to a hot plate, the excess fat is removed and then the pan is deglazed with dry vermouth and beef stock. Once that is reduced cream is added, reduced slightly and the breasts are re-introduced.

The breasts are very tender and moist and the vegetables are just as tender and delicious. Sometimes we eat this "as is" or serve it over a bed of fresh steamed rice. Very delicious and satsifying.

Chris

moses said:
Sounds very very tasty. How large a quantity of vegetables do you use?

It depends usually 1 medium carrot, 1 medium onion and 1 medium celery stalk but I may double this if we have company.

Chris

Sue you'd better be careful making statements like that around here. You just might have some takers.

With The Grain said:
mama bear make this one up some time then (notice this invloves sherry wine and the bisque does NOT):

Lobster or Seafood Newburg

Many recipes for Newburg Sauce call for paprika as the coloring agent rather than using a tomato product. While a sauce colored with paprika may be more stable, paprika has a tendency to be bitter tasting. For this reason we use tomato puree to color our Newburg Sauce. Take special care not to boil the sauce as the acidity of the tomato may cause the sauce to break or separate.

Preparation Time: Approx. 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
4 each, puff pastry shells
8 ounces lobster meat (bite sized cubes)
8 ounces sea scallops
8 ounces shrimp (peeled & de-veined)
¼ cup butter
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
½ cup tomato puree
salt to taste
2 tablespoons sherry wine

Method:
Puff pastry shells are an optional item in this recipe and can be found in the frozen food section of most grocery stores. Cook the pastry shells according to the manufacturers' directions and put them aside.

Heat the milk in a heavy saucepan over a medium heat until the milk begins to simmer. In a separate saucepan melt the butter and add the flour to it making a roux and cook the roux over a medium heat for about a minute while whisking. Add the tomato puree to the roux and cook while whisking for an additional minute.

Add the hot milk to the roux –tomato mixture a ½ cup at a time while continually whisking. Once the milk is incorporated into the sauce add the sherry wine and check the seasoning for saltiness. Simmer the sauce over a low heat for about 10 minutes to allow the alcohol to burn off then remove the sauce from the fire and cover.

In a sauté pan melt 3 tablespoons of butter over a medium heat. When the butter begins to bubble add the shrimp and sauté for about a minute. Next add the scallops and lobster meat and sauté until the scallops are white and firm. Add enough Newburg Sauce to the sauté pan to just cover the seafood and simmer for about 2 minutes. If the sauce seems too thick you may thin it down with a little milk. Adjust the seasoning. Serve over pastry shell and garnish with parsley sprigs and a lemon wedge.

Maybe I could adopt you????? lol

Tonight was our night to go out with the toddlers (to a "rest-not", as they pronounce it). We went to a local Hawaiian place called Moki's where I got the artery-clogging island favorite, Loco Moco. They're the only place I've been to since I lived in Hawaii that gets it right.

SWMBO got the Teriyaki Beef and TWMBCUA (they who must be cleaned up after) shared the Chicken Katsu. Actually, our 2-1/2-year-old didn't eat much since she was busy imitating all the hula dancing on the Plasma screen. Moki's also offered an interesting version of chips and salsa, where the dip consisted of sweet corn, avocado, pineapple, guava, etc. Never tasted anything like it.

We went to a local Mexican place with the cheapest, hugest burritos you've ever seen (Seattlites: it was Gorditos, on 85th and Greenwood. Anyone been?). I didn't believe the reviewer when I read that they were the size of "dura flame logs", but it's true! Lots of leftovers, needless to say.

Now SWMBO is making blackberry pie with the berries she picked earlier today. Normally I'm the cook around here, but she likes to bake. She makes a mean pie!

Tri-tip steak with a port/cream pan sauce (I use beef stock as the base), green beans and some fried julliene (sp? it's late) potatoes.

I can't say enough about pan sauces, so easy, yet so good.... So help me if I hear about any of you putting A-1 or something on a steak.

rossination said:
We went to a local Mexican place with the cheapest, hugest burritos you've ever seen (Seattlites: it was Gorditos, on 85th and Greenwood. Anyone been?). I didn't believe the reviewer when I read that they were the size of "dura flame logs", but it's true! Lots of leftovers, needless to say.

Now SWMBO is making blackberry pie with the berries she picked earlier today. Normally I'm the cook around here, but she likes to bake. She makes a mean pie!

Now you have made me sad. I went blueberry picking last week while I was in Tacoma, but didn't bring the berries home with me. I want blueberry pie, blueberry muffins, and more. No blueberries from here will suffice. :crying:

JoAnna

We have a hispanic gentleman who visits the office about twice a month, selling homemade tamales. ONE is a meal! So, tonight I set the oven on 250, gave it 45 minutes, and chased it with chips and homemade salsa.

Randy

I'm on a fairly strict clean diet. What does that mean? Well I'm not cutting any food groups (fad diets are foolish), but have cut out just about every processed piece of junk food out there.

Tonight I had a chicken breast grilled on a George Foreman grill, topped with a slice of fat-free swiss cheese and then covered with salsa. As sides were 1 cup of brown rice, with a little olive oil and salsa mixed in, and 2 cups of mixed veggies. To drink, I had a glass of skim milk. Deeeeelish. :001_smile

Top Bottom