What's new

What Did I Just Purchase? Vintage 19th Century 7/8 French “ Chopper” Straight Razor???

I just bought a straight razor off of the large auction house on a whim. I don't remember seeing one like this before. I tried some quick internet searches and did not find anything related to it. I did not take the time to ask the seller any questions because I was afraid it was going to sell right away. Thus, I jumped on the Buy It Now option after some quick search tries.

Any help with the history / information on this will be appreciated - Thanks!

Seller's description: Vintage 19th Century 7/8 French “ Chopper” Straight Razor. It dates to between 1855 to 1880. Horn scales.

The stamp says BREDON with ABLOIS. My quick internet search did not provide anything on straight razors. It only provided that Bredon is a village in England and that Saint-Martin-d'Ablois is a commune in the Marne département in north-eastern France.

Any help is appreciated!!!

These are the seller's pictures:
1641350101942.png

1641350130161.png

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I just bought a straight razor off of the large auction house on a whim. I don't remember seeing one like this before. I tried some quick internet searches and did not find anything related to it. I did not take the time to ask the seller any questions because I was afraid it was going to sell right away. Thus, I jumped on the Buy It Now option after some quick search tries.

Any help with the history / information on this will be appreciated - Thanks!

Seller's description: Vintage 19th Century 7/8 French “ Chopper” Straight Razor. It dates to between 1855 to 1880. Horn scales.

The stamp says BREDON with ABLOIS. My quick internet search did not provide anything on straight razors. It only provided that Bredon is a village in England and that Saint-Martin-d'Ablois is a commune in the Marne département in north-eastern France.

Any help is appreciated!!!

These are the seller's pictures:
View attachment 1388957
View attachment 1388958
I think it might be Blois, which is in the Loire Valley, in central France.

Blois is about three hours drive north of Thiers, so Bredon is most likely the name of an agent.

Last edited:
Definitely a French blade, I have a few with a very similar blade shape. I agree with the earlier posters that Bredon is the seller or cutler, a Blois is the location. Not all French blades come from Thiers. Below is a tang stamp from one of my 19th Century French wedges. The blade shape is also very similar to yours. Shaves great, weighs a ton!

1641957653522.jpeg

Top Bottom